Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

[RATE MY TEAM] My Alolan heavy Sun/Moon OU team.
I have came back to competetive Pokemon after a very long break, and I love how the meta is right now. With this current team I have more than twice the wins as my loss; but I am starting to face more and more of my weaknesses as I climb the ladder in OU. I am still fairly nooby with the game and I'm starting to feel the desperation to patch those weaknesses up before I could advance further. Any tips and advices will be highly appreciated.

The Team :

*Scizor @ Scizorite
Ability: Technician
EVs: MAX HP / MAX SpD / 4 Def
Impish Nature
-Bullet Punch
-Roost
-Swords Dance
-U-turn

- The EVs allow my Scizor to take many punishing hits. It's just a traditional bulky, dancing Scizor. But the problem is, my Scizor is almost always used as a sand bag to take psychic and earth type attacks. I barely get a chance to swords dance!

Toxapex @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: MAX HP / MAX Def / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
-*Toxic Spikes
-Haze
-Recover
-Scald

- My main Def Wall. Although Toxapex is rated very highly, its weakness to ground really neuters him at times. Especially since everyone and their mothers can learn Earthquake. Haze, Recover, and Scald is self-explanatory, but I took Toxic spikes over Toxic as I lack entry hazards in the form of spikes/SR. So I needed a way to punish the foe for switching out mons often. It also forces the foe's poison type or their spinner out which is a plus for my team. It does give me problems at times as the foe can just throw in his own wall with sustain and it would be a stale-mate.

A.Marowak @ Thick Club
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 248 HP / 16 Atk / 112 SpD / 132 Spe
Adamant Nature
-Shadow Bone
-Flare Blitz
-Will-O-Wisp
-Earthquake

-My situational Wall/Hitter. For a pokemon that packs a lot of utility, it hits super hard. All in all, a very good utility mon, able to stop many threats all on its own. I grabbed the EV spread from a different site. It lets me outspeed a couple of defensive mons such as Aegislash. The rest are dumped into SpD with a little bit on Atk to back up his weak SpD. With the current EVs it also allows me to 2HKO a Recover spam Toxapex with EQ. I feel this mon is so good in the current meta! I run Will-O-Wisp to cripple the pokemon that would be switched out into, because Marowak very often forces a switch.

Tapu KoKo @ Choice Specs
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: MAX SpA / MAX Spe / 4 HP
Timid Nature
-Grass knot
-Thunderbolt
-Dazzling Gleam
-Volt Switch

-The VIP of the team. He deals the heaviest amount of damage, and acts as the pivot of the team. He packs a huge amount of speed. He is my opener if there is no ground type, he is my main source of damage, and he is my winning card. Most of my games that ended up in a loss were resulted from KoKo dying too early. I use specs in order to deal the most amount of damage as possible with Volt Switch; it dents even the toughest pokemons that resist it. Basically, even though its base SpA isn't that high, it is compensated with Specs. However, I was thinking of running Modest nature, as it would allow me to reliably kill Gastrodon with Grass Knot.

**Bewear @ Assault Vest
Ability: Fluffy
EVs: 92 HP / 248 Atk / 168 Spe
Adamant Nature
-Hammer Arm
-Return
-Ice Punch
-Earthquake

-My threat slayer. As long as it's not STAB, and it's not too boosted, Bewear can almost always tank ATLEAST 1 hit before dying. Therefore he is a great revenge-killer if the culprit is boosted. I laughed when I took a super effective high-jump kick from Tsareena and barely lost 50% HP. The Assault vest lets him do that to Spa heavy mons to a certain degree as well. He also has a base 125 Atk. Making him a tanky beast that also hits hard. I invested into speed EVs in order to outspeed uninvested base 80 Speed mons(Also outspeeds Magearna!). I found it very crucial; and I put the rest of the EVs into Atk in order to hit as hard as possible with a bit into HP to reinforce his bulk. I run EQ for Toxapex, Marowak and other electric type threats, while keeping ice punch for threats such as Garchomp.

***Decidueye @ Leftovers
Ability: Overgrown
EVs: 252 HP / 40 Def / 216 SpD
Careful Nature
-Defog
-Spirit Shackle
-Roost
-U-turn

-In order to keep my Tapu KoKo as healthy as possible, I needed a way to get rid of hazards. To be completely honest, I always had Mandibuzz for this slot, as it would have the absolute perfect typing for my defensive core, checking alot of my team's threats. But since it doesn't get knock-off pre-bank, I quickly lost interest in him and chose Decidueye. Although I believe Decidueye also has a great typing, his weakness to fire really bugs me. If I am to make a change to my team, this guy would probably go first. I just use him to Defog, and U-turn out, or Spirit Shackle spam to deal as much damage as possible before dying.(I also save him for death fodder at times.) His job is to Defog, and that is it. I run the EVs as it is, to be able to take attacks from Spa mons, as I usually throw my Decidueye out as a sandbag for Special attacks.

One word to describe the team : TANKY

The Cores :
Defensive Core- Scizor / Toxapex / Decidueye / Marowak / Bewear

-Strength : Completely stops many of the big mons in the current meta including: Xurkitree, Kartana, Tapu KoKo, Aegislash, and Pheremosa to a certain degree.

-Weakness : Has a very BIG weakness in fire, ground, and psychic. And it comes in the form of: Mega Alakazam with HP-Fire, and Tanky/SwordsDance Garchomp. The only way to get rid of Alakazam is poisoning it with toxic spikes, then wacking him with a full HP Marowak or killing it when its weakened from my Decidueye with a Bullet punch from Scizor. Even non-mega variants give me a headache as I have to solely depend on Tapu KoKo to kill it after foddering one of my mons.
For Garchomp, I always keep Bewear in healthy conditions as it can almost always take a hit from chomp as long as it hasn't been too boosted, to proceed in killing it with ice punch; but fireblast can still be scary at times. I am still considering whether to run Mandibuzz over Decidueye even if it doesn't get knock-off yet; as it will make my core more well-rounded.

-List of pokemons that give me a headache :
1. Alakazam
2. Garchomp
3. M-Pinsir
4. Any fast STAB Fire type mon with Ground or Psychic coverage.

Offensive core- Scizor / Marowak / Bewear / Tapu KoKo

-Strength : Wide coverage to take down many threats. Easier time with Toxapex than you would think.

-Weakness : My team is way too slow for its own good. I tried to use as many Alolan mons as possible for a refreshing start on competetive, and they all seem so slow! And because of that, my team heavily relies on Tapu KoKo to remove a lot of threats reliably. And therefore, if my Tapu KoKo has been removed, or he has been severely weakened while there are still threats on the enemy team, it's usually GG. I was also considering if I should switch my Scizor out for a more damage-oriented Mega like Gyarados or Garchomp.

Changes I am thinking of implementing :
1. Switching Decidueye out for Mandibuzz without Knock-off.
2. Switching Bewear out for a scarfed heavy hitter such as Garchomp.
3. Switching Scizor out for a more damage oriented Mega OR a bulky Garchomp.
4. Switching Toxic spikes out for Toxic.
5. Redoing Marowak's EVs to make it hit much harder.

Any advice would be appreciated.
nice team man i like it
Firstly, get that Scizor out of there. Gen 6 and Gen 7's metagames are two different things and the bulky Swords Dance set is not viable this generation, especially if Scizor isn't running Knock Off/Brutal Swing to take on Aegislash, Alolan Marowak and anything that Bullet Punch and U-Turn don't KO for at least neutral

Toxic Spikes is the wrong choice of entry hazard support due to how this team works. It works best when at least three of the Pokemon on the team synergizes well defensively and can stall out the opponent to at least a moderate level for the damage to pile up. I'd honestly look into using Stealth Rock
(Nov 28, 2016, 06:18 PM)Marcusube Wrote: Firstly, get that Scizor out of there. Gen 6 and Gen 7's metagames are two different things and the bulky Swords Dance set is not viable this generation, especially if Scizor isn't running Knock Off/Brutal Swing to take on Aegislash, Alolan Marowak and anything that Bullet Punch and U-Turn don't KO for at least neutral

Toxic Spikes is the wrong choice of entry hazard support due to how this team works. It works best when at least three of the Pokemon on the team synergizes well defensively and can stall out the opponent to at least a moderate level for the damage to pile up. I'd honestly look into using Stealth Rock

Thanks for your insight! I was wondering why my scizor couldn't put in work like it used to. What do you think my replacement should be? I was thinking of swapping scizor out for garchomp, and swapping Decidueye out for Skarmory. But, I don't know if Skarmory can take multiple Spa psychic attacks before breaking down. My choice for SR/Spinner mons seem very limited for me this gen..
It is very limited in fact. SpDef Skarmory is 3HKOd by Tapu Lele's Psychic as well as its Hidden Power Fire. I'm not sure what the roll is for Thunderbolt off the top of my head but that's mainly because not many people on the ladder run it. He's your go to Stealth Rock setter though

I'm not really as sure as to which mega evolution you should pick due to how limited it is right now but scarf Garchomp looks like a good fit for this team