Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

[TEAM REPORT] Getting Into The Swing of Things - VGC'16 (+ Viability Rankings)
What is up everybody!? As you all know by now, VGC'16 has been announced and to our surprise, cover legendaries have now been legalized in the format, similarly to VGC'10. Most say that the format will be even more unbalanced than last year and it will immediately become uninteresting. I, however, feel that this new ruleset will bring forth a fresh experience that will be fun to play in and focus around more strategy than hax.

The team I have today is based around the core of Lugia, P-Kyogre and M-Scizor:

[Image: lugia.png] [Image: kyogre-primal.png] [Image: scizor-mega.png]

Firstly, I feel it is necessary to list the top anticipated threats in the upcoming VGC'16 season:

[Image: xerneas.png] [Image: groudon-primal.png] [Image: ludicolo.png] [Image: rayquaza-mega.png]

All Xerneas needs to do is get off 1 Geomancy to destroy your team. I'm not even kidding. After the Geomancy boost, anything that isn't Steel or Poison type gets OHKOd by Fairy Aura boosted Dazzling Gleam (at least to my experience on the ladder).

Primal Groudon is also very solid as it is nearly unable to be OHKOd by Ground moves and is immune to Water moves due to its ability. Not only that, put P-Groudon with Xerneas on the field at the same time and you have easily created a formation stronger than double genie. Feel I'm being ridiculous?

P-Groudon KOs all of Xerneas' checks with Fire Punch, Precipice Blades or the latter. This level of pressure exerted by P-Groudon makes it easy for Xerneas to get a free turn to pull off a Geomancy and sweep.

Mega Rayquaza cancels out all weather conditions, hits like a truck with LO boosted Dragon Ascent, pretty much takes out all what threatens it if it has the Choice Scarf, can be ran mixed, seriously why is this mon legal!?

Ludicolo may not look like a threat to begin with but merely having access to a fast Fake Out in the rain makes it viable for allowing P-Kyogre to set up a Calm Mind, or worse, fire off a barrage of Water Spouts. Since Ludicolo will most likely outspeed the mons that threaten Kyogre, it has the option of either crippling or KOing Kyogre's checks

Okay now for the team.

This core is meant to achieve the following objectives:

1) With Primordial Sea, Scizor basically has no weaknesses, meaning it has an easier time setting up Swords Dances and picking off the opponent's Pokemon 1 by 1
2) Lugia serves as speed control with Thunder Wave as well as using Skill Swap to steal abilities or reset Primordial Sea

THE POKEMON

[Image: lugia.png] [Image: kyogre-primal.png] [Image: scizor-mega.png] [Image: thundurus.png] [Image: mamoswine.png] [Image: seismitoad.png]

Movesets:

Lugia @ Leftovers  
Ability: Pressure  
Level: 50  
EVs: 236 HP / 148 Def / 124 SpA  
Calm Nature  
- Thunder Wave  
- Aeroblast  
- Skill Swap  
- Recover  

Kyogre @ Blue Orb  
Ability: Drizzle  
EVs: 108 HP / 244 Def / 100 SpA / 56 SpD  
Quiet Nature  
- Origin Pulse  
- Protect  
- Ice Beam  
- Thunder  

Scizor @ Scizorite  
Ability: Technician  
EVs: 252 HP / 52 Atk / 84 Def / 116 SpD / 4 Spe  
Adamant Nature  
- Bullet Punch  
- Bug Bite  
- Swords Dance  
- Protect  

Thundurus @ Sitrus Berry  
Ability: Prankster  
EVs: 252 HP / 116 Def / 112 SpD / 28 Spe  
Calm Nature  
- Nasty Plot  
- Thunderbolt  
- Hidden Power [Ice]  
- Thunder Wave  

Mamoswine @ Choice Band  
Ability: Thick Fat  
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe  
Jolly Nature  
- Ice Shard  
- Earthquake  
- Icicle Crash  
- Iron Head  

Seismitoad @ Life Orb  
Ability: Swift Swim  
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe  
Mild Nature  
- Earth Power  
- Hydro Pump  
- Poison Jab  
- Ice Punch  

Lugia is my all out support Pokemon. Thunder Wave is the ideal speed control method as it stops Geomancy Xerneas, Swift Swimmers and pretty anything fast that isn't immune to Electric in its tracks. Skill Swap's main utility is to reset Primordial Sea, take Prankster from Thundurus to be even more of an annoyance and disrupt the opposing team in any way possible. Aeroblast is Lugia's signature move and his strongest reliable STAB move. It's intended for Ludicolo and Whimsicott mainly but the move itself brings solid neutral coverage. Recover over Roost in the case the opponent baits Roost and uses a Ground move.

The spread here was intended to 2HKO M-Rayquaza with Ice Beam at +2 while being able to survive a LO boosted Dragon Ascent. This spread was developed when I was using an older set of Calm Mind, Psychic, Ice Beam and Recover so it may need to be changed again.

Quiet Kyogre gets the ideal creep behind Groudon so Primordial Sea gets set up last if they're sent out at the same time. The moveset is pretty basic. Origin Pulse for STAB (not Water Spout because it relies heavily on having a certain amount of hit points) and your classic BeamBolt combo. The spread is, again, to survive LO boosted Dragon Ascent

I took the Scizor set from Kiev and the Thundurus set from PodFighterNinja so check out their analysis on their respective threads :D

Mamoswine was intended to be a check for Rayquaza but it hasn't been performing that well. I intend to change it later. Same for Seismitoad. It was supposed to counter P-Groudon but it barely misses out on the KO

This team report was pretty short because this team is still in progress. My intention was to show off what I have now and to see if you guys have any suggestions or comments on the team or the metagame in general. Thanks for reading the thread and I appreciate the time you spent viewing it :D

REPLAYS:

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/vgc2016-303323582
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/vgc2016-303323125
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/vgc2016-303322056
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/vgc2016-303318939
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/vgc2016-303316743
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/vgc2016-303315420

Showdown IGN : LuSCARFio
[Insert signature here]
This is a really nice look at the new rules in VGC. Props to you for making this as I feel that this will be very helpful when it rolls around to it. That Primal Groudon and Xerneas team combo will definitely be a monster and Rekt a lot of teams.
Pokemon trainer since 2004!
Nice team, Marc :D And I like how the matches go with your analysis lol. i.e. paralyzing GeoXern. I entered a tournament on Showdown last night with a really vanilla team and I got creamed. Your team analysis and the way you played your matches is helped me reflect on what I might've done wrong.
Over time in the free battle spot I had pretty good luck against mega rayquaza with my weavile. You'd have to figure out a different earthquake user if that's important to your coverage but his speed combined with priority, a powerful stab icicle crash and knock off support can work out.

Just since you weren't sure about the mamoswine.

This team is awesome though.
Ermergerd sergnercher
Marc you know Im infamous for stealing teams HAHAHAHA :D Cool KappaHD kappa . I genned your team and used it on Battle Spot Free Battles. The outcome has been good, Unfortunately I come across many rage quits because of the P-Kyogre + Scizor combo. But heres a battle where I felt I shut down this guys TR team with on simple skill swap from Lugia. Check it out on ya 3ds.

JB4W-WWWW-WW38-7VZF
(Dec 13, 2015, 10:13 AM)Akae47 Wrote: Marc you know Im infamous for stealing teams HAHAHAHA :D  Cool  KappaHD  kappa . I genned your team and used it on Battle Spot Free Battles. The outcome has been good, Unfortunately I come across many rage quits because of the P-Kyogre + Scizor combo. But heres a battle where I felt I shut down this guys TR team with on simple skill swap from Lugia. Check it out on ya 3ds.

JB4W-WWWW-WW38-7VZF

Lol good to hear Akae Kappa

When I unlock my VS Recorder I will (I reset my ORAS because the save didn't allow me to participate in GL competitions)
[Insert signature here]
(Dec 13, 2015, 11:40 AM)Marcusube Wrote:
(Dec 13, 2015, 10:13 AM)Akae47 Wrote: Marc you know Im infamous for stealing teams HAHAHAHA :D  Cool  KappaHD  kappa . I genned your team and used it on Battle Spot Free Battles. The outcome has been good, Unfortunately I come across many rage quits because of the P-Kyogre + Scizor combo. But heres a battle where I felt I shut down this guys TR team with on simple skill swap from Lugia. Check it out on ya 3ds.

JB4W-WWWW-WW38-7VZF

Lol good to hear Akae Kappa

When I unlock my VS Recorder I will (I reset my ORAS because the save didn't allow me to participate in GL competitions)

My lugia has the HA
I suggest switching Poison jab on the Seismetoad for sludge bomb so it gets that special attack boost with the current IV's
(Dec 17, 2015, 02:46 AM)Shadow Wrote: I suggest switching Poison jab on the Seismetoad for sludge bomb so it gets that special attack boost with the current IV's

It's probably intended for the more specially defensive Fairy types like Xerneas and Sylveon.
So Far with this team. I have lost to a Dark Void Smeargle/Anger point Tauros team and Charm Whimiscott and Gravity/Sableye with Greninja and trick W.Rotom using blizzard and thunder respectively... I made some terrible decisions but. I got shut down but that rotom when it used trick on my thundy. Ill post replays soon