Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

Thundurus Build Help?
I'm having a bit of trouble getting the right ev spread on my Thundurus. I was playing with a timid 4HP/252speed/252sp attack one for a bit, but the bulk just wasn't there. I have been getting hit so hard that even when the sitrus berry comes in the next hit takes me out. I am running thunder wave, taunt, thunderbolt, hp ice. I want to keep speed up to taunt other Thundurus, and still be able to provide some offensive support. Does anyone out there have an EV spread they think might work? Thank you much and happy new year!
I'm assuming it's for VGC2015 format so here's a sample doubles set.

Thundurus @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 244 HP / 108 Def / 64 SpA / 72 SpD / 20 Spe
Calm Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power Ice
- Taunt
I know this is a Smogon Doubles set from their Dex but I think it's a good place to start. The goal of this Thundurus is to spread paralysis and taunt support pokemon like Cress and Togekiss. From their Dex, it survives an Adamant rock slide from mega t-tar and a fully power Draco meteor from Latios. Honestly feel free to tweak the evs and nature to your liking as not all Thundurus builds are the same.

Here's nugget bridge's speed tier listings just to get started on what you want to outspeed
http://nuggetbridge.com/articles/vgc-15-...eed-tiers/
I haven't used thundurus myself, but other members of the forum have done a write up on some pokemon that are going to be common in vgc, and including thundurus. Maybe you could try one of their builds
http://thejustinflynn.tv/forum/Thread-VG...Megathread
Thank you both. All helpful information so far!

Edit: yes this is for vgc
The majority of Incarnate Forme Thundurus don't run Timid max speed. It's more common for them to play the role of a support pokemon & have a defensive nature. Usually the nature of choice is calm [+spD-atk] this is b/c with Incarnate Forme Thundurus ability prankster you can still get off thunder waves & taunts on faster Pokemon. This style of Thundurus can still have some offensive pressure b/c usually when Thundurus will attack its uses thunderbolt or hp ice on a Pokemon that it's super effective against.

This is an example of a old Thundurus ev's spread from past VGC meta games. It would be good to start with something similar to this and tweak the ev's to your liking and for whats now common in VGC 15

using https://pokemonshowdown.com/damagecalc/

Thundurus (M) @ Sitrus Berry
Trait: Prankster
EVs: 196 HP / 204 SDef / 108 Spd
Calm Nature
– Thunder Wave
– Hidden Power [Ice]
– Taunt
– Thunderbolt

Black117's example spread is also very good if your team needs thundurus to survive physical rock attacks

Also something to consider, it takes 100 EV's for calm thundurus to outspeed 252 adamant non choice scarf lando-T.
0 spa EV calm thundurus does 82-97% to a 252 speed 252 atk lando-T
you can still have effective offensive pressure without spA investment