Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Heat Wave
- Snarl
- Protect
- Extreme Speed

Offensive Calculations

252+ SpA Arcanine Heat Wave vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Aegislash-Shield: 80-96 (47.9 - 57.4%) -- 82.4% chance to 2HKO
252+ SpA Arcanine Heat Wave vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Aegislash-Blade: 192-228 (114.9 - 136.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ SpA Arcanine Heat Wave vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Bisharp: 150-176 (106.3 - 124.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Arcanine Snarl vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Gengar: 56-66 (41.4 - 48.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Defensive Calculations

With One Intimidate
-1 252+ Atk Garchomp Earthquake vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Arcanine: 114-134 (68.6 - 80.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
-1 252+ Atk Choice Band Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Arcanine: 99-117 (59.6 - 70.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
-1 4 Atk Landorus-T Earthquake vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Arcanine: 92-110 (55.4 - 66.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+1 252+ Atk Parental Bond Mega Kangaskhan Return vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Arcanine: 252-297 (151.8 - 178.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
               [This calculation is assuming 1 Intimidate, and a Parental Bond, Power-Up Punch]

With Two Intimidates (Teammate or Switch-in)
-2 252+ Atk Garchomp Earthquake vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Arcanine: 84-102 (50.6 - 61.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
-2 252+ Atk Choice Band Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Arcanine: 75-88 (45.1 - 53%) -- 28.9% chance to 2HKO
-2 4 Atk Landorus-T Earthquake vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Arcanine: 68-84 (40.9 - 50.6%) -- 0.4% chance to 2HKO
252+ Atk Parental Bond Mega Kangaskhan Return vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Arcanine: 168-199 (101.2 - 119.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
               [This calculation is assuming 2 Intimidate, and a Parental Bond, Power-Up Punch]

Summary

I created this build in relation to an Intimidate team, relying on Arcanine as both an Intimidate user, as well as one that can utilize Snarl. This is a 60 base power spread, special attack, that lowers the SpA. of both enemies it hits by one stage. So yes, this build does focus on being specially offensive, but there is little that this Arcanine is going to one-shot. It's primary purpose is to shut down your opponents ability to inflict damage, hence the focus sash to hopefully allow for at least two Snarls before going down.

I have tested this on Showdown quite a bit, and because of the Intimidate cut as well as much of the time pairing him with a Will-O-Wisp Sableye, this Arcanine has the chance to be rather bulky, in some cases turning an incoming STAB Rock Slide or Earthquake into a 3HKO.

Also, once your opponent realizes that this Arcanine is causing all sorts of havoc to both methods of attacking, there is a tendency to focus him, and this is where your ability to predict and Protect at the appropriate time comes into play. A well-timed Protect can allow your teammate a crucial, free-hit, possibly taking an enemy down to a level of health that an Extremespeed can finish off. And if they do end up switching out, which often is the case when you have an enemy with -1 or -2 attack from Intimidates, and possibly a Burn status on their primary physical attacker, you again have a free hit and a turn without damage from that slot.

Possible Pairings

These are some of the doubles partners that Arcanine has excelled with on my own team, and below that I will list some other possible teammates that are common in the meta-game right now.

Sableye-provides additional Attack cut with Will-O-Wisp, as well as at times drawing attacks because the opponent is wary of Prankster

Clefable-utilizing follow-Me can allow your Arcanine the additional turn it needs to get off another Snarl, or even get some damage out with Heat Wave

Salamence-an additional Intimidate on the first turn can make your Arcanine even more physically bulky without having taken damage yet, also draws        attention because the opponent fears a potential Mega-mence. [Inside secret, I don't run Mega  KappaHD ]

Landorus-T-again an additional Intimidate is valuable for this set, as well as pairing an Arcanine Protect and Landorus-T Earthquake is always fun

M-Charizard Y-provides sun to boost Heat Wave, and the Arcanine Intimidate gives Zard Y a slight chance to survive a Rock Slide

Amoongus-Rage Powder can work in a way similarly to Clefable above, and Spore support

Rotom-W-can take out Water threats, and takes advantage of Arcanine's cutting ability and Snarl to be even bulkier

Major Threats

M-Kangaskan-one of the biggest threats in the current meta-game, and almost everyone has one! It's the most dangerous because of the ability Parental Bond, breaking the effectiveness of Arcanine's focus sash, which can result in a turn one or turn two KO. This is a case where having Sableye as the partner is critical. Some calculations showing the importance of getting a burn on Mege-Kang below:

-1 252+ Atk Parental Bond Mega Kangaskhan Fake Out vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Arcanine: 45-54 (27.1 - 32.5%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
-1 252+ Atk Parental Bond Mega Kangaskhan Return vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Arcanine: 112-132 (67.4 - 79.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Turn 2, Bye-bye Arcanine

-1 252+ Atk Parental Bond burned Mega Kangaskhan Return vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Arcanine: 55-66 (33.1 - 39.7%) -- 99.8% chance to 3HKO
A STAB base 102 Return is now a 3HKO from one Intimidate and getting the burn off

Rotom-W-not only resisting Arcanine's primary damaging move, a Hydro Pump is absolutely devastating, and this is where the focus sash is crucial, as well as Snarl. More than likely you will outspeed, as few people invest any sort of IVs into Spe for Rotom-W, so Snarl is essential. Calcs for the most common OU Rotom-W below:

0 SpA Rotom-W Hydro Pump vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Arcanine: 156-186 (93.9 - 112%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO
-1 0 SpA Rotom-W Hydro Pump vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Arcanine: 104-126 (62.6 - 75.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

So there you have it! This is my Arcanine build. I hope you found it useful and now have the urge to run this puppy. I have always loved Arcanine and am so glad that the addition of Snarl gives him a niche to be competitive. Let me know what you think.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/vgc2015-204450435
An example of Arcanine being a boss, tanking Special attacks and essentially making a Heatran useless.
One more thing I failed to note is that Snarl, being sound-based, is that it hits through a substitute.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/battle...-206605435
Clutch end-game snarl brings home the win.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/vgc2015-204663357
And another example to demonstrate how good it is to out-predict your opponent, and the value of a good protect.
First of all, I must say you have an outstanding team. Your Arcanine build seems to be pulling in the wins, especially with Snarl. Fantastic build, my only questions are why Focus Sash and not Leftovers and why max out speed instead of investing more EVs into bulk seeing as how Arcanine is slower than the common threats that are in higher speed tiers
[Insert signature here]
(Jan 21, 2015, 08:31 PM)Marcusube Wrote: First of all, I must say you have an outstanding team. Your Arcanine build seems to be pulling in the wins, especially with Snarl. Fantastic build, my only questions are why Focus Sash and not Leftovers and why max out speed instead of investing more EVs into bulk seeing as how Arcanine is slower than the common threats that are in higher speed tiers

Thanks so much, I've been working on this team for a few weeks now and am glad with the results. The main reason I keep the sash is to prevent the OHKO from special threats, especially water types. Most special attacking water types easily get the KO and I want to be sure to get off two Snarls to make sure my next poke coming in has the best possible set up. Especially when it comes to rain teams that run swift swim and end up outspeeding Arcanine when normally they wouldn't, and also get the water boost.
You make a good point on the speed comment though, as I haven't tested a bulkier build to see how the drop in speed affects him in relation to other threats, I am just unsure from lack of testing how it would affect his order.

Again, thanks for taking the time to check out my build.
Seriously, great write up @Cobb. I'll send it to the Approved section!

and thanks for commenting on all these @Marcus
Follow us on Twitter @_pokemonforever
Learn about us on our Welcome Page
Watch us play games on Twitch.tv
Your Ev spread is extremely un-optimized and your build gets walled by a wide guard / quick guard user....try tweaking a bit to this / http://thejustinflynn.tv/forum/Thread-VG...t-Arcanine
Oh Hai Der   kappa
What on Earth is the mess of a build? I fail to believe it works well in VGC. Running max investments in offense for a Pokemon that is supposed to support doesn't sound practical. And like Heavy pointed out earlier, it gets walled by Wide Guard and Quick Guard. Hitmontop would render it useless because the only thing it could hit with (should Hitmontop use Wide Guard) is a -1 Modest E-Speed. Sorry to sound so harsh, but I can't see where this Arcanine set comes in handy :/
Some of the benefit to this Arcanine is that it is not running a physical attacking build. A majority of the arcane being run now are built as physical, flare blitz, wild charge and the like. A good deal of the benefit comes from the surprise of a special attacker with wide hitting moves.

This was built with the current meta-game being taken into account. I don't know about you, but in my testing I saw one, maybe two, hitmontop in the dozens of battles on Showdown I had, and the fact that this is a VGC set, if you see a hitmontop it is a very easy solution--don't bring Arcanine. Super simple. Hitmontop was far more prominent in VGC14 than it is now.

You can find flaws with any poke, something is going to counter it, but that is what teammates are for in VGC, and the ability to select 4 out of 6.

And in response to the post about switching to the other support build, I know there is already a support set, which is why I didn't post a build that was the exact same! This is another option. That's the point. This Arcanine has its place, and primarily it is on an Intimidate team, with the ability to fit into a support niche for many teams that may need the opponent drop in SpA.

Please take the meta-game and battle format into account.
(Feb 4, 2015, 07:47 AM)Cobb Wrote: Some of the benefit to this Arcanine is that it is not running a physical attacking build. A majority of the arcane being run now are built as physical, flare blitz, wild charge and the like. A good deal of the benefit comes from the surprise of a special attacker with wide hitting moves.

This was built with the current meta-game being taken into account. I don't know about you, but in my testing I saw one, maybe two, hitmontop in the dozens of battles on Showdown I had, and the fact that this is a VGC set, if you see a hitmontop it is a very easy solution--don't bring Arcanine. Super simple. Hitmontop was far more prominent in VGC14 than it is now.

You can find flaws with any poke, something is going to counter it, but that is what teammates are for in VGC, and the ability to select 4 out of 6.

And in response to the post about switching to the other support build, I know there is already a support set, which is why I didn't post a build that was the exact same! This is another option. That's the point. This Arcanine has its place, and primarily it is on an Intimidate team, with the ability to fit into a support niche for many teams that may need the opponent drop in SpA.

Please take the meta-game and battle format into account.

First off Hitmontop was not VGC legal in 2014 , as it was not Kalos Dex .
Second off there are plenty other wide guard users I.E. Aegislash, Swampert, Mienshao just to name a few off the top of my head .
And also the increasing popularity of Quick guard to ward off Tflame and Pranksters also shuts down your Espeed.
I posted my variant after you not seeing there was one already in the forums , but i assure you, you are going to take more damage than you dish out with this set.
And lastly maybe it is you who should take the Meta into account , if you are going to run Max Special attack Modest Arcanine you need to be running Heatwave and Overheat/Fire Blast as well as maybe snarl/ protect/Dragon Pulse / HP ground to not get walled by Half of the Meta, Including Heatran and Tyranitar, and afformentioned wide guard / quick guard users
Oh Hai Der   kappa
also here is this

252+ SpA Heatran Earth Power vs. 228 HP / 228 SpD Arcanine: 202-238 (53.4 - 62.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
-1 252 Atk Mega Tyranitar Rock Slide vs. 228 HP / 0+ Def Arcanine: 162-192 (42.8 - 50.7%) -- 40.2% chance to 2HKO after sandstorm damage

VS

252+ SpA Heatran Earth Power vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Arcanine: 260-306 (80.7 - 95%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
-1 252 Atk Mega Tyranitar Rock Slide vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Arcanine: 236-278 (73.2 - 86.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after sandstorm damage

That is a 20- 40% damage difference, witch can be huge in doubles.
Oh Hai Der   kappa