Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

[VGC] Escavalier - Physical Attacker
[Image: 250px-Escavalier_anime.png]
Credit to Bulbapedia

In a metagame plagued with bulky Psychics that set up Calm Minds and sweep your team, crazy kangaroos that click to KO your team, highly decorated dogs that scream your team to death and mushrooms that put your entire team to sleep, you're bound to eventually get tired of these mons running shop on your team. Well let me introduce you to one of the best answers to each scenario. Enter Escavalier. Escavalier was introduced in the 5th generation and still holds powerful to this day. With an amazing typing of Bug/Steel, it resists a lot and is only hit super effectively by one out of sixteen types. Sure Bug and Steel aren't the best offensively, but looking at how much of the meta is threatened by this offensive type combination, you're bound to think otherwise.

[Image: escavalier.gif]
Type: Bug/Steel
Base Stats: 70 HP, 135 Atk, 105 Def, 60 SpAtk, 105 SpDef, 20 Spe
Weaknesses: Fire x4
Resistances: Normal x.5, Bug x.5, Steel x.5, Grass x.25, Fairy x.5, Dragon x.5, Ice x.5, Psychic x.5
Immunities: Poison
Abilities:
Swarm - When this Pokemon has 1/3 or less amount of HP, its bug attacks do 1.5x damage. Not a bad ability if I say so myself. It does make Megahorn hit like a truck and pick up KOs. It is however a bit more on the situational side.
Shell Armor - This Pokemon cannot be struck by a critical hit. If you really care about crit hax then sure. To be honest, without moves that boost your defenses in conjunction with reliable recovery, this ability is garbage, especially for Escavalier.
Overcoat - This Pokemon is immune to powder moves and damage from Sandstorm or Hail. This ability is very handy in VGC as it makes Escavalier immune to Rage Powder and Spore, two very commonly used moves in the format. Though it is situational, it still has a better niche than Swarm.

Kyle the Cavalier!

[Image: escavalier-3.gif]
Escavalier @ Lum Berry  
Ability: Overcoat  
Level: 50  
EVs: 252 HP / 188 Atk / 36 Def / 32 SpD  
Adamant Nature  
- Megahorn  
- Iron Head  
- Knock Off  
- Protect

This Escavalier puts in a lot of work against the opponent. It easily one shots the common fairies in the meta barring Azumarill, does a huge chunk to Cresselia and can OHKO Aegislash in Blade Form. Defensively, Double Edge from Adamant Kangaskhan is a 3HKO while Hyper Voice from Pixie Plate Sylveon is a 4HKO. These benchmarks, among others, were used to achieve the EV spread seen here. And yes, Double Edge from Kang does more than Sucker Punch and Low Kick to Escavalier, I'm amazed as well. The moves here are pretty standard. Megahorn is its best Bug STAB and Iron Head is its best Steel STAB. Sure the accuracy is a bit shaky for Megahorn but it does 50% more BP than X-Scissor which is a more important factor in my opinion. I opted for Knock Off over Drill Run seeing as how Drill Run really only helps against the mons that OHKO Escavalier a.k.a. fire Types. Knock Off at least removes items as well as gives Escavalier answers to Ghost types as well as a good neutral hit against attackers. Lum Berry is crucial and was chosen over the rest because Escavalier's speed tier leaves it open to many status moves, primarily Will-o-Wisp. The berry stops Escavalier from getting crippled before even being able to attack

Damage Calculations:

Offensive

188+ Atk Escavalier Megahorn vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Hydreigon: 242-288 (144 - 171.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
188+ Atk Escavalier Megahorn vs. 220 HP / 172 Def Cresselia: 164-194 (73.5 - 86.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
188+ Atk Escavalier Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Aegislash-Blade: 204-242 (122.1 - 144.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
188+ Atk Escavalier Iron Head vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Sylveon: 210-248 (104.4 - 123.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
188+ Atk Escavalier Iron Head vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Gardevoir: 210-248 (145.8 - 172.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Defensive

252+ Atk Parental Bond Mega Kangaskhan Double-Edge vs. 252 HP / 36 Def Escavalier: 76-90 (42.9 - 50.8%) -- 0.5% chance to 2HKO
252+ Atk Landorus-T Rock Slide vs. 252 HP / 36 Def Escavalier: 35-42 (19.7 - 23.7%) -- possible 5HKO
252 SpA Thundurus Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 32 SpD Escavalier: 70-84 (39.5 - 47.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Bisharp Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 36 Def Escavalier: 107-126 (60.4 - 71.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Life Orb Aegislash-Blade Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 32 SpD Escavalier: 101-121 (57 - 68.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Terrakion Rock Slide vs. 252 HP / 36 Def Escavalier: 43-52 (24.2 - 29.3%) -- 99.9% chance to 4HKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Hydreigon Dark Pulse vs. 252 HP / 32 SpD Escavalier: 102-121 (57.6 - 68.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Potential Teammates include, but aren't limited to;
  • Milotic, Rotom-W, Gastrodon - These three specifically because Milotic discourages Intimidates and allows Escavalier to attack without the stat reduction. Also Water/Ground coverage from each mon helps in swatting Fire types that destroy Escavalier
  • Defensive Trick Room setters - I say defensively, mainly because Escavalier holds its own well enough but it still needs boosts from Helping Hand, Will-o-Wisp (on the opponent), among other moves to allow it to attack relentlessly

Threats include, but aren't limited to;
  • Fire Types and attacks - That quadruple weakness to Fire has no foreplay. Any type of fire move will OHKO this thing guaranteed
  • Aegislash - Aegislash resists all of Escavalier's STABs, not to mention since all of Escavalier's moves are contact moves, you'll have to be extra cautious to not attack carelessly and get the stat reduction. Because of this, Aegislash can play around with Escavalier, especially if it's the SubLefties set

Other Notable Moves
  • Quick Guard - If you really need to block Pranksters from crippling your Pokemon or priority moves from finishing you off then go ahead
  • X-Scissor - It has more accuracy than Megahorn but significantly less damage.

Other Notable Items
  • Life Orb - If you have enough answers for status users, then this item turns Escavalier into an all out beast allowing it to pick up significantly more KOs.
  • Assault Vest - If you really want Escavalier to tank special hits then this is an option.
[Insert signature here]
Nice build Marc! I'veI used Escavalier a few times, and it can do a lot of work if you keep it safe from burns and intimidates
dang sick write up. such a good pokemon!
Follow us on Twitter @_pokemonforever
Learn about us on our Welcome Page
Watch us play games on Twitch.tv
awesome write up Cool
I haven't got the luxury of using a Excavalier though it's a great Pokemon to use in Trick Room due to its low speed and sole weakness to Fire-type Pokemon. One move I'd definitely consider is Drill Run as it can hit opposing Fire-types hard especially Heatran so in case anyone want coverage for it
(Oct 29, 2015, 07:20 AM)Black117 Wrote: I haven't got the luxury of using a Excavalier though it's a great Pokemon to use in Trick Room due to its low speed and sole weakness to Fire-type Pokemon. One move I'd definitely consider is Drill Run as it can hit opposing Fire-types hard especially Heatran so in case anyone want coverage for it

Drill Run is a nice option but I always see it as redundant seeing as how without Trick Room you're most likely going to get OHKOd first
[Insert signature here]
This set looks good; offensively and defensively. tanking a possible 5 Lando Rock Slides is pretty sweet. This will be the first set I try out when I get back into VGC SriHead and I think I know what partners I want to stick it with.
Thank you very much!
Cool