Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

[SMOGON] Giratina-O being tested in OU? Thoughts?
I've played a ton of VGC recently but I've branched out into singles now and Smogon is trying to bring Giratina Origin Forme to OU. I personally think this is a little too much but I see how it will stop threats like Breloom and Landorus. Considering it has have a certain item makes it seem fair in OU but what are your thoughts on how it fits in OU?
if you want to hear good reasons why he belongs in OU check out this video by PokeaimMD he is a showdown mod and a UU council member. The main reason he gives to bringing down gira-o is that he checks many of the top tier OU mons. instead of repeatedly banning pokemon, bring down a mediocre uber mon that has a nice place in OU. He not only will have a nice niche in the current OU, but he could bring down previous OU mons that went uber. Greninja is the most likely IMO as the two reasons he went ubers was Gunk shot/low kick and gira walls those. Greninja now has a place in OU since gira is a strong counter. others have talked about the possibilities of Mega mence coming to OU as well, but he has a very good spot in ubers as a sweeper and is less likely to happen IMO. he also has no reliable recovery whatsoever besides rest, and i mean none whatsoever, not even an item to help since he holds griseous orb the whole time. though griseous orb is a good item, he could use better. this comes with a bigger problem as he can not be Knocked off and while he still takes super effective damage, knock off is lackluster without the boosted power.

TL;DR he fits very well in OU and fixes the problems of the metagame without repeatedly banning the good pokemon
Ninetales iz rly cewl kthnxbye
this is just like when kyurem-b came down to OU back when it did. everyone thought the game was gonna break because an uber mon came down to OU, but he fit in nice and still isn't used a huge amount due to having a horrible movepool. Once the meta adapts gira-o will fit in nice if he passes the suspect test
Feeling 50/50 with this. Giratina-O covers Lando and other pokes with Ice Beam, Shadow Force, etc. Could be that thingy with Terrakion, moved to UU and then directly taken back to OU.
I'm just here.

#RowletBois
April Fools Smile
(Apr 1, 2015, 10:29 AM)Black117 Wrote: April Fools Smile

the same person who said it was a joke posted this in the same thread "The real April Fools' joke was to make people believe that this Suspect Test was a joke. This is a case of reverse psychology! You'll see tomorrow, when the suspect ladder will be back up!"
guess its just a waiting game to figure out which was the real joke
Just for the record, I'm just gonna post my thoughts about the Giratina-O suspect test even if there was some intention or not.

ATM I just can't see Giratina-O staying in OU tier since it doesn't have a poor movepool, 4MSS, or poor typing as some people have noted.  Regarding its movepool, Giratina-O has access to three forms of status (T-Wave, WOW, Toxic), viable setup options (Tailwind, Calm Mind), and sizable movepool (Shadow Ball/Force/Sneak, Hex, Draco Meteor/Dragon Claw/Outrage, Aura Sphere Earth Power/Earthquake, Iron Head/Tail, Thunder Bolt/Thunder, Aqua Tail, Energy Ball, etc). The only thing that Giratina-O doesn't have access to is reliable recovery but Giratina-O still has enough bulk (150/100/100) and moderately decent typing (with 3 immunities including no spike/ts weakness) to just pull off a SubCM set (Crotina) or a hex+status set. The way I view Giratina-O is very similar to Aegislash since it has many potential sets its to run like pivot defog, physically/specially defensive, SubCM, mixed offensive, Tailwind, etc. Of course their's the fact that Giratina-O is limited to holding the Griseous Orb but its like having two items (Spooky/Draco Plate) in one. I too watched aim's video about should Giratina-O should be OU, but I have also taken into consideration most of the posts from the suspect thread and from suspect laddering myself for the brief time until today's announcement.  Yes this Pokemon would be solid answers to stuff like Charizard Y, Excadrill, Landorus I/T, Serperior, etc but then again it would eventually settle in the metagame similar to how Aegislash did and will have almost zero opportunity cost. Giratina-O just everything it needs to abuse its bulk, offense, and supportive to the point here anyone can fixated its own check/counters. I could be wrong, but we'll never know for sure until Smogon's OU council would bring another Giratina-O suspect in the future and see it develop in some way.

On a final note, I highly doubt bringing down Giratina-O would eventually bring back deadly threats like Mega Salamence or the revamped Greninja at all considering they just 2HKO the entire tier. Besides no one wants to see the same issues Mega Salamence pulled with its sub/roost/dd/return set or Greninja's unpredictable nature (btw LO Greg can 2HKO G-O with Ice Beam with SR). I'm glad that the OU council might start to potentially reconsider bans but honestly Giratina-O would have polarized the tier in the long run.
(Apr 2, 2015, 12:04 AM)Black117 Wrote: Just for the record, I'm just gonna post my thoughts about the Giratina-O suspect test even if there was some intention or not.

ATM I just can't see Giratina-O staying in OU tier since it doesn't have a poor movepool, 4MSS, or poor typing as some people have noted.  Regarding its movepool, Giratina-O has access to three forms of status (T-Wave, WOW, Toxic), viable setup options (Tailwind, Calm Mind), and sizable movepool (Shadow Ball/Force/Sneak, Hex, Draco Meteor/Dragon Claw/Outrage, Aura Sphere Earth Power/Earthquake, Iron Head/Tail, Thunder Bolt/Thunder, Aqua Tail, Energy Ball, etc). The only thing that Giratina-O doesn't have access to is reliable recovery but Giratina-O still has enough bulk (150/100/100) and moderately decent typing (with 3 immunities including no spike/ts weakness) to just pull off a SubCM set (Crotina) or a hex+status set. The way I view Giratina-O is very similar to Aegislash since it has many potential sets its to run like pivot defog, physically/specially defensive, SubCM, mixed offensive, Tailwind, etc. Of course their's the fact that Giratina-O is limited to holding the Griseous Orb but its like having two items (Spooky/Draco Plate) in one. I too watched aim's video about should Giratina-O should be OU, but I have also taken into consideration most of the posts from the suspect thread and from suspect laddering myself for the brief time until today's announcement.  Yes this Pokemon would be solid answers to stuff like Charizard Y, Excadrill, Landorus I/T, Serperior, etc but then again it would eventually settle in the metagame similar to how Aegislash did and will have almost zero opportunity cost. Giratina-O just everything it needs to abuse its bulk, offense, and supportive to the point here anyone can fixated its own check/counters. I could be wrong, but we'll never know for sure until Smogon's OU council would bring another Giratina-O suspect in the future and see it develop in some way.

On a final note, I highly doubt bringing down Giratina-O would eventually bring back deadly threats like Mega Salamence or the revamped Greninja at all considering they just 2HKO the entire tier. Besides no one wants to see the same issues Mega Salamence pulled with its sub/roost/dd/return set or Greninja's unpredictable nature (btw LO Greg can 2HKO G-O with Ice Beam with SR). I'm glad that the OU council might start to potentially reconsider bans but honestly Giratina-O would have polarized the tier in the long run.

I think it would fit here to stop threats but I don't know