Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

[VGC] RMT/Suggestions please.
Good day!Here's my team,as I'm not that great with teambuilding I need your feedback and suggestions on how can I improve my VGC team.I don't really have anything to write home about with teambuilding so please do feel free to suggest things as much as you want.

When I made this team,I wanted to maintain offensive pressure consistently on the field while still not being afraid of being OHKO'ed due to frailty or being cornered without proper switches.I also am not very good at playing the exalted Mega Mence so I wanted to counter it in little ways instead.

[Image: 642-therian.gif]
Thundurus-T @ Choice Scarf
Modest Nature
4HP/252SpAtk/252Spe
-Volt Switch
-Thunderbolt
-Hidden Power Ice
-Grass Knot
This guy has been my favorite and has stayed throughout the drastic changes my team underwent from my first attempt until now.Him being maintained really says something and it's how good he counters pretty much some 'big guys' on the meta.Scarfed HP Ice is just so good,it OHKOes a very influential part of the meta.It also exerts offensive pressure even though nothing on the field is weak to any of its attacks.Mandatory when I see both Lando-T and a Mence on the opposition,does quite good against rain teams especially when they carry a Swampert.

252+ SpA Thundurus-T Hidden Power Ice vs. 4 HP / 0- SpD Mega Salamence: 200-236 (116.9 - 138%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Thundurus-T Hidden Power Ice vs. 24 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-T: 196-232 (117.3 - 138.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Thundurus-T Thunderbolt vs. 212 HP / 108 SpD Suicune: 150-176 (74.2 - 87.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Thundurus-T Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 150+ SpD Politoed: 146-174 (74.1 - 88.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Thundurus-T Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 116 SpD Rotom-W: 76-91 (48.4 - 57.9%) -- 96.9% chance to 2HKO

We could say it nukes many things.

[Image: 639.gif]
Terrakion @ Lum Berry
Jolly Nature
4HP/252Atk/252Spe
-Close Combat
-Protect
-Double Kick
-Rock Slide
Nothing special here,just your regular Terrakion.

[Image: 003-mega.gif]
Venusaur@Venusaurite
Bold Nature
176HP/140Def/80SpAtk/112SpDef
-Giga Drain
-Sludge Bomb
-Protect
-Leech Seed/Currently testing Sleep Powder
The shenanigans this thing pulls are amazing,it is so bulky with its Thick Fat Ability not even Charizard Heat Waves OHKO it under the sun.I use its Giga Drain to answer opposing Terrakions,it does fair amounts to Landorus-T as well.Sludge Bomb is in there for the more powerful STAB,though it's not enough to OHKO the bulky Sylveons everybody runs today,it's something.Leech Seed is good to whittle down bulks like Cress while still getting some form of recovery,but in tight situations like 2v1's,I don't think it is as useful as Sleep Powder which is a great way to keep momentum at my side.Leech Seed is great when playing against things like Conkeldurr,but Sleep Powder saved me a dozen of times where I could have lost if I ran Leech Seed.I think it is pretty well known that any Venusaurs need to be careful around Saint Brave Bird and Aerilate Mence.

80 SpA Mega Venusaur Giga Drain vs. 252 HP / 116 SpD Rotom-W: 92-110 (58.5 - 70%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
80 SpA Mega Venusaur Giga Drain vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Terrakion: 116-140 (69.4 - 83.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
80 SpA Mega Venusaur Sludge Bomb vs. 92 HP / 0 SpD Sylveon: 104-126 (57.1 - 69.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
80 SpA Mega Venusaur Giga Drain vs. 44 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-T: 66-78 (38.8 - 45.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 SpA Charizard Overheat vs. 176 HP / 112 SpD Thick Fat Mega Venusaur in Sun: 116-138 (65.5 - 77.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Landorus-T Earthquake vs. 176 HP / 140+ Def Mega Venusaur: 51-61 (28.8 - 34.4%) -- 4.4% chance to 3HKO
252+ Atk Landorus-T Stone Edge vs. 176 HP / 140+ Def Mega Venusaur: 46-55 (25.9 - 31%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
252 Atk Kangaskhan Return vs. 176 HP / 140+ Def Mega Venusaur: 49-58 (27.6 - 32.7%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

[Image: 094.gif]
Gengar @ Focus Sash
Timid Nature
4HP/252SpAtk/252Spe
-Icy Wind
-Will-o-Wisp
-Sludge Bomb
-Taunt
Cybertron's Gengar that pretty much everyone runs today on Battle Spot.It neuters many physical attackers through WoW,reliable means of speed control through Icy Wind,Sludge Bomb for generic STAB and the Taunt is in there against Cresselia or opposing Gengars of the same set that might want to WoW/Taunt my Gengar's partner,though naturally,if a Gengar mirror match occurs,I'd use Icy Wind to have my Gengar gain speed advantage over the other one so I do not need to roll the dice when using other moves.

[Image: 625.gif]
Bisharp @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
-Sucker Punch
-Knock Off
-Iron Head
-Protect
Generic Bisharp,something to have the opposition overthink whether should he/she bring his/her Intimidate users or not.Overall,it's a great pokemon to have around,I also switch it in when an opponent's Icy Wind is too obvious,the speed drop is the least of my concerns because his speed is already rubbish which is why I run adamant.I also run LO because not only has the Sash already been taken by Gengar,I also believe that Bisharps can last long without the sash if played well,this thing sticks for a pretty long time if you aren't greedy about the Defiant boosts.

[Image: 598.gif]
Ferrothorn @ Big Root
Brave Nature
252HP/36Atk/108Def/112SpDef
-Leech Seed
-Power Whip
-Gyro Ball
-Protect
A filler Pokemon, Heatran used to be here.I did notice the Kangaskhan weakness,so I dropped this guy in.Essentialy there to pig out and stall against bulks with the Big Root + Leech Seed,it gives me great match ups against rain teams.The EV spread isn't that good but it sure does help Ferrothorn live some common attacks.I tried Rocky Helmet,but with the Physical Attackers in the metagame having more and more overkill attack stats,I felt that I should be reluctant on letting this guy hit,not to the extent that its Iron Barbs potential is wasted,but on a point where I could do decent damage with the LARGE Leech Seed residual damage,whittling out the opponent pretty fast when coupled with a Gyro Ball/Power Whip.I EV'ed its attack in such a way that it won't be too much of a killer(wow,Gyro Ball actually OHKOes 4HP Terrakion),but just enough to support and amplify the damage given by the Big Root Leech Seed.
252 Atk Aerilate Mega Salamence Return vs. 252 HP / 108 Def Ferrothorn: 90-106 (49.7 - 58.5%) -- 99.6% chance to 2HKO
52 Atk Kangaskhan Return vs. 252 HP / 108 Def Ferrothorn: 25-30 (13.8 - 16.5%) -- possible 7HKO
252 Atk Terrakion Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 108 Def Ferrothorn: 150-176 (82.8 - 97.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Pixilate Sylveon Hyper Voice vs. 252 HP / 112 SpD Ferrothorn: 165-194 (91.1 - 107.1%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO
36+ Atk Ferrothorn Gyro Ball (150 BP) vs. 244 HP / 0 Def Sylveon: 134-158 (34.1 - 40.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
36+ Atk Ferrothorn Power Whip vs. 252 HP / 44 Def Rotom-W: 134-158 (85.3 - 100.6%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
36+ Atk Ferrothorn Gyro Ball (150 BP) vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Terrakion: 204-240 (122.1 - 143.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

I apologize for the lengthy read,I just felt like I needed to justify the EVing and reasons on why I brought it very much.I will appreciate any suggestions!
Solid team, EVs are quite standard and that's ok, maybe you should find an alternative to Ferrothorn because it doesn't fit in the core very well IMO, you already have Grass and Steel coverage, even though Ferrothorn is a good answer to rain teams, trick rooms and physical attackers aswell so you can just test it for some time and see yourself.

A quick look tells me your team is only weak to Heatran and Bisharp if your Terrakion is already KOed or if you can't bring it on the field for bad match ups, but in general this team is very good against the current meta.
Great team you have here, however I have a few comments.

A Choice Scarfed Thundurus-T still gets out sped by Scarfed Jolly Landorus-T and Terrakion with max speed investments so that can potentially be a problem and there isn't much on this team to control speed.

Why run Terrakion with Double Kick? Why not Earthquake?

Also Ferrothorn may have some trouble doing the set up you described so I would recommend replacing it with a Suicune or Whimsicott which benefits your team with Tailwind support which, to a further extent, could mean that you can run Life Orb or Choice Specs instead of Choice Scarf on your Thundurus-T.
[Insert signature here]
(Feb 7, 2015, 11:50 AM)Marcusube Wrote: Why run Terrakion with Double Kick? Why not Earthquake?

Sashed Bisharps and similar.
(Feb 7, 2015, 11:50 AM)Marcusube Wrote: Great team you have here, however I have a few comments.

A Choice Scarfed Thundurus-T still gets out sped by Scarfed Jolly Landorus-T and Terrakion with max speed investments so that can potentially be a problem and there isn't much on this team to control speed.

Why run Terrakion with Double Kick? Why not Earthquake?

Also Ferrothorn may have some trouble doing the set up you described so I would recommend replacing it with a Suicune or Whimsicott which benefits your team with Tailwind support which, to a further extent, could mean that you can run Life Orb or Choice Specs instead of Choice Scarf on your Thundurus-T.

As the one who replied to you said,Sashed Bisharps are quite rare but they pose a threat when left unchecked,they could also ruin Terrakion's day if I misplay and think of it to have LO.Also,thanks for the suggestion on the Ferro replacement,I've been dying for something to take his slot since,he may be great on lower levels,but he does next to nothing when against quality players.I'll definitely be checking out on those two you suggested.
(Feb 7, 2015, 07:16 AM)GMX Wrote: Solid team, EVs are quite standard and that's ok, maybe you should find an alternative to Ferrothorn because it doesn't fit in the core very well IMO, you already have Grass and Steel coverage, even though Ferrothorn is a good answer to rain teams, trick rooms and physical attackers aswell so you can just test it for some time and see yourself.

A quick look tells me your team is only weak to Heatran and Bisharp if your Terrakion is already KOed or if you can't bring it on the field for bad match ups, but in general this team is very good against the current meta.

I'm positive now of replacing Ferrothorn,it does not pull its weight and end up being a burden when I play against good players!I now am currently thinking of whether to bring Tailwind/Other means of speed control support,or Ground Type coverage.Thanks for the feedback!
(Feb 7, 2015, 09:54 PM)Bard o Rage Wrote:
(Feb 7, 2015, 07:16 AM)GMX Wrote: Solid team, EVs are quite standard and that's ok, maybe you should find an alternative to Ferrothorn because it doesn't fit in the core very well IMO, you already have Grass and Steel coverage, even though Ferrothorn is a good answer to rain teams, trick rooms and physical attackers aswell so you can just test it for some time and see yourself.

I'm positive now of replacing Ferrothorn,it does not pull its weight and end up being a burden when I play against good players!I now am currently thinking of whether to bring Tailwind/Other means of speed control support,or Ground Type coverage.Thanks for the feedback!

I'm testing a Special Swampert (Angel Miranda's set) and it helps a lot if you need both Water and Ground coverage but your team doesn't like Earthquakes very much.

Swampert @ Expert Belt
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 228 SpA / 4 SpD / 20 Spe
Nature: Modest
- Earth Power
- Ice Beam
- Scald
- Wide Guard

This special set gets KOs on Landorus-T, M-Mence, M-Mawile while not being limited by burns and intimidates. Wide Guard is in this set because of Hyper Voice and Rock Slide spam, but you can replace it for Protect if you want.

Gastrodon is another option for a stronger match up against rain and trick room teams, but their role
is the same.
(Feb 8, 2015, 05:46 AM)GMX Wrote:
(Feb 7, 2015, 09:54 PM)Bard o Rage Wrote:

I'm testing a Special Swampert (Angel Miranda's set) and it helps a lot if you need both Water and Ground coverage but your team doesn't like Earthquakes very much.

Swampert @ Expert Belt
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 228 SpA / 4 SpD / 20 Spe
Nature: Modest
- Earth Power
- Ice Beam
- Scald
- Wide Guard

This special set gets KOs on Landorus-T, M-Mence, M-Mawile while not being limited by burns and intimidates. Wide Guard is in this set because of Hyper Voice and Rock Slide spam, but you can replace it for Protect if you want.

Gastrodon is another option for a stronger match up against rain and trick room teams, but their role
is the same.

I actually have tried this Swampert in many teams and my word,it does quite well against choiced Sylveon and Landorus!The only problem I have with it is,it does not really like getting singled on once it gets the opponent's attention due to lack of protect,as it suffers from the four move syndrome and it really needs those four to function well,I'll try it in this team,though.