Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

[RATE MY TEAM] Is it Finally Good Enough for VGC DB?
Hi!

First, there's a post somewhere in the forums on a guide on how to post movesets so we can understand them easily. I think it's a post from marcusube or black117, can't remember. I'll give you the link when i find it.  :D

Now on to the topic,

I'm assuming you don't want to use any legendaries as i don't see one. I was the same last year. Last year, I made sure to check the common legendaries that were dominating the scene. Even then, I still had trouble with CHALK teams used by an experienced trainer. This year however is a different story. The legendaries allowed are in a different level than last year.

Just to show you, let's see how your team does with the most common threat, Groudon.

[Image: Groudon_new-2.png]

For these computations i'm using a standard mixed groudon but I didn't put any EVs in Atk or SpA to showcase its raw power
(btw you don't have anything to cancel the harsh weathers)

Aegislash (you still have 4 spare useful EVs and i'm wondering why you don't have wide guard)

0+ SpA Primal Groudon Flamethrower vs. 0 HP / 126 SpD Aegislash-Shield in Harsh Sun: 152-182 (112.5 - 134.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252 Atk Aegislash-Shield Sacred Sword vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Primal Groudon: 39-46 (22.1 - 26.1%) -- 5.7% chance to 4HKO
+2 252 Atk Aegislash-Shield Shadow Claw vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Primal Groudon: 45-54 (25.5 - 30.6%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
+2 252 Atk Aegislash-Shield Iron Head vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Primal Groudon: 25-30 (14.2 - 17%) -- possible 6HKO

Even with weakness policy off, Groudon will not get hurt by your aegislash moveset. I used a special attacker last year with wide guard, maybe give it a try.

Cradily (again you have 4 spare useful EVs)

0+ SpA Primal Groudon Eruption (150 BP) vs. 252 HP / 124 SpD Cradily in Harsh Sun: 126-148 (65.2 - 76.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after leftovers recovery
0 SpA Cradily Earth Power vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Primal Groudon: 64-76 (36.3 - 43.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

I know you meant giga drain when you said recovering hp, you may want to edit that. At least it survives groudon the first turn. It'll still knock you next turn though with 23.4% at most of your HP even at +3 SpD.

Talonflame (again you have 4 spare useful EVs)

0+ SpA Primal Groudon Eruption (150 BP) vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Talonflame in Harsh Sun: 99-117 (64.2 - 75.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0+ SpA Primal Groudon Flamethrower vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Talonflame in Harsh Sun: 80-95 (51.9 - 61.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Primal Groudon: 71-86 (40.3 - 48.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

You survive another turn with talonflame, atleast with this bird you have priority and can attack groudon first. Talonflame is still viable this season but not with the role you're giving it. usually it protects the team from priority attacks through quick guard; set the pace through tailwind; then bravebird 'til it collapse. Without the surprise factor, if you roost with talonflame you'll get rekt by precipice blades or any other common ground moves. But talonflame at least can stay if you really want it on your team.

Azumaril (again you have 4 spare useful EVs)

0+ SpA Primal Groudon Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Azumarill: 96-114 (46.3 - 55%) -- 62.5% chance to 2HKO
252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Play Rough vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Primal Groudon: 32-38 (18.1 - 21.5%) -- possible 5HKO

With no way to cancel drought, you lose water type attacks, and your best attack will be play rough.

Clefable (again you have 4 spare useful EVs)

0+ SpA Primal Groudon Flamethrower vs. 0 HP / 252 SpD Clefable in Harsh Sun: 102-121 (60 - 71.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 SpA Clefable Ice Beam vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Primal Groudon: 36-43 (20.4 - 24.4%) -- guaranteed 5HKO

Please remember the Groudon here is 0 Atk & SpA.

Ampharos (again you have 4 spare useful EVs)

0+ SpA Primal Groudon Earth Power/Precipice Blades vs. 126 HP / 8 SpD Mega Ampharos: 146-174 (80.6 - 96.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Mold Breaker Mega Ampharos Dragon Pulse vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Primal Groudon: 103-123 (58.5 - 69.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

It's your best "counter" to groudon. But take note that you are slower than groudon. When it comes to one on one, M-ampharos basically don't stand a chance.

Actually the only mon you have that'll move faster than a 252 Spe neutral groudon is talonflame. Meaning, everyone must take a hit first.

Now, this is only against groudon. He definitely have his backups. Most of your mons will be already below half HP by the time you take him down.

I don't want to offend you or discourage you or anything, I understand what you're trying to do, but this season is for the clash of the primals. You'll definitely need to catch a legendary before you come to the battle field. However, if you insists on playing without them, I suggest you get a feel of how the season is. Try your team in pokemon showdown vgc 2016. If you don't know, it's an online site for competitive battles. just recreate your team there, participate in battles and see what areas your team need to improve. The site is very newbie friendly so just try it. (When I say newbie friendly, I mean the site/program per se not the community. Not that the community is bad either but. hmm...how do you say it?......Well simply put, it's not as friendly as pokemonforever *this site is the best*)

With all that said, I hope you try it out. It'll deepen your understanding about a game we all love. Also it's fun
I'm a logger
recorder
diarier?

I record my Pokemon journey in this diary

so a journeyer?

Messages In This Thread
RE: Is it Finally Good Enough for VGC DB? - by jouzea - Feb 10, 2016, 12:46 AM
RE: Is it Finally Good Enough for VGC DB? - by Absol - Feb 10, 2016, 02:36 PM