Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

[RATE MY TEAM] VGC2015 No Legendaries - Alternative Supporters
This is the team I came up with after reading through the meta game threats on this forum and after reading through Nugget Bridge's article.  I really liked the idea of support Arcanine, so that's where I started.  Right now I'm using Mega-mence, but I don't know if I want to keep it.  I feel like Mega-zard-Y might work better for this team.  So here is my first stab at a VGC2015 team using some alternative supporters.

[Image: arcanine.gif]
Arcanine (F) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
Level: 50
EVs: 252 HP / 60 Def / 196 Spe
Timid Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Snarl
- Protect
- Morning Sun

Construction worker Arcanine is here!  I specifically gave him enough speed EVs to out speed a max speed Adamant mega-Kang.  The damage output on this Arcanine is lackluster, so make sure to pair him with one of his stronger teammates or switch him out after weakening your opponent's heavy hitters.  Snarl support works well with Milotic as Milotic definitely appreciates being able to take those thunderbolts from Thundurus better.

[Image: banette-mega.gif]
Banette (F) @ Banettite
Ability: Insomnia
EVs: 252 HP / 136 Atk / 120 Def
Impish Nature
- Taunt
- Knock Off
- Skill Swap
- Thunder Wave

Mega Banette was kind of an unexpected choice.  I wanted a Prankster Taunter and found that it also get's Skill Swap.  Arcanine always appreciates the Skill Swap.  On top of that, it has enough Atk to deal some pain with Knock Off.  The Prankster Thunder Wave is also great for threats you don't want Arcanine to burn.  Thundurus may do this job a bit better, but outside of speed their stats are comparable.  Not having Prankster's priority on turn one is the only thing that makes me want to reconsider Banette at times.

[Image: tangrowth.gif]
Tangrowth (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
IVs: 0 Spe
Sassy Nature
- Rage Powder
- Leaf Storm
- Sleep Powder
- Protect

I haven't ever seen a tanky support Tangrowth, but it gets Rage Powder so lets do it!  Sleep Powder is not as good as Spore, but Tangrowth has better defenses than Amoongus.  Leaf Storm is there for mega Swampert mostly, but it could probably be changed to Giga Drain for more sustain.  Tangrowth's job is to shield Azumarill and Salamence while they power up.  I decided to minimize Tangrowth's speed so that it could sabotage Trick Room teams with Sleep Powder as it doesn't need the speed for anything else.

[Image: azumarill.gif]
Azumarill (F) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Def
IVs: 0 Spe
Brave Nature
- Belly Drum
- Play Rough
- Aqua Jet
- Protect

This is probably the most standard build on the list, but with all the new threats in VGC2015, Belly Drum Azumarill slips in under the radar.  I decided to minimize Azumarill's speed as well since it's primary attack has priority with Aqua Jet.  Trick Room teams will face a super fast Play Rough.

[Image: milotic.gif]
Milotic (F) @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Competitive
EVs: 252 HP / 128 Def / 128 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Icy Wind
- Recover
- Protect

This Milotic gets pretty scary without much effort.  It can usually survive a super effective hit to trigger Weakness Policy and grab a Competitive edge from Intimidate.  Icy Wind will OHKO Salamence after a +2 boost from Competitive.

[Image: salamence-mega.gif]
Salamence (M) @ Salamencite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Double-Edge
- Earthquake
- Protect

Decided to try physical Mega-mence.  Not much to say about it... It's strong.  Like I said above though, I'm considering Mega-zard-Y or something else for this slot.

Any feedback is appreciated.  I am aware that there are stronger options for support (RE Thundurus), but I wanted to try it without legendaries first.  Also, this is my first post outside of the welcome board.  One of the reasons I decided to register was competitive discussion! Thanks for reading!

Messages In This Thread
VGC2015 No Legendaries - Alternative Supporters - by Duran - Jan 2, 2015, 11:39 AM
RE: VGC2015 No Legendaries - Alternative Supporters - by RagnoroX - Jan 5, 2015, 09:29 PM