Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

How Crucial are Mega Evolutions to Competitive Success?
(Mar 15, 2015, 11:54 AM)Revenant L Wrote: I don't believe Mega Evolutions are absolutely crucial. It really is dependent on you team; there are plenty of teams that don't need a Mega-Evo. In any battle format, Mega-Evo's give Pokemon a chance to work in battle, and they do add a lot of depth to the metagame. By no means are the a "game-breaking inclusion" as you call them...except maybe Mega-Kangaskhan. Megas are powerful, but just like any other Pokemon, there are many Pokemon that can defeat it. You cannot expect your Mega to destroy the opposition. Use it carefully and deliberately.

In singles, Megas are extremely common. Most people like to bring a Mega-Evo, so if you play singles, probably bring one, although don't force one onto the team if it's not necessary. Any team can work without a Mega.

In Doubles and VGC, oh boy. You'll see MegaKangaskhan a lot. Lots of Mega-Mawiles and Mega-Salamences too. Of course, you can use any Mega and it will still be viable. Some people bring two Megas. But again, Megas are NOT truly necessary, more so in VGC. Since you can only bring in 4 Pokemon, you have to decide whether a Mega will help you or harm you. Think back to Sejun Park's team from VGC 2014, he used that Mega-Gyarados brilliantly, but left it out during the Finals because it was weak to the opponents Rotom-Cut, and he ended up winning Worlds. So while Mega's are helpful in VGC, you just need to think about whether or not including it in your 4 Pokemon you bring in will actually help or not. Again, don't expect that just because it's a Mega that it will blow the opposition away

Thanks for the rapid and thoughtful reply. I believe that your words echo where my thoughts were taking me on the entire issue. It seems like they add an additional layer of strategy, but they aren't necessarily game-breaking.

Lols, well, maybe Mega-Kanga? Wink

In all seriousness, thanks for your input! I don't have any particular expectations of Megas being OP or underwhelming--I just wanted to know what those of you who are more well-versed in the competitive scene thought. ^^

xx

Messages In This Thread
RE: How Crucial are Mega Evolutions to Competitive Success? - by iflytoohigh - Mar 15, 2015, 11:59 AM