Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

How Crucial are Mega Evolutions to Competitive Success?
Recently I have been grappling with this question for awhile now especially when Smogon OU Council has decided to do an "experimental tier" where if the Mega Evoultion mechanic never existed at all (btw don't take this as a initiative that they'll eventually ban all Megas, its just like an additional metagame to play).  Now when it comes with using Mega Evolutions, I'm going to be blunt and say you don't necessarily need one but its going to be harder to win battles without factoring the massively low opportunity cost, easy/foreseeable win conditions, and massive power creeps. Likewise you can construct team without a particular Mega Evolution in mind but don't leave out possibility of facing opposing Megas during team building or even in battle.

Mega Evoutions IMO are the easiest and most foreseeable win conditions in the game to use because of their relative ease to use in battles with the low opportunity cost. I keep mentioning "opportunity cost" since well its just that these Megas are that strong to the point where they are likely going to win you the battle the good majority of the time. Obviously there are huge differences between the obviously overpowered Megas like Mega Kangaskhan, Mega Gengar, or even Mega Salamence to others lesser used ones like Mega Pidgeot, Mega Glalie, or Mega Steelix. Some of you might not agree with me with that statement but statistically all three of those Pokemon have been a driving force of the Competitive Battling throughout Generation 6. From a singles battle perspective, Kang, Mence, and Gengar have been amoung the best Mega Pokemon in the game because of their relative ease to use in battle. These three have either the potential to 1) sweep across entire teams with little to no effort, 2) provide unfathomably support for the team members to sweep, or 3) can wall/stall the a good portion of the game.

Obviously these points are just for singles but even so Megas are suppose to be the your main or secondary options in regards to one's play style. You can try not building around Megas but it'll be considerably difficult to beat opposing teams who the majority all opt for a particular Mega. It might be difficult to use a non Mega team in doubles but I'm sure people can realize their win condition might be a team effort instead id just one Pokemon.

Messages In This Thread
RE: How Crucial are Mega Evolutions to Competitive Success? - by Black117 - Mar 16, 2015, 05:00 PM