Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

[REQUEST] My First Mini VGC "Competition" Performance + Request for Advice
Haha i didn't expect someone could recognize my avatar, Nanatsu no Taizai is not that popular, i appreciate it (but Diane is not my second favorite character, sorry :D)

It's true, choosing the right pokemon may be the simple part because assigning the proper EV spread is not intuitive for anyone, but that's why this forum section exists.

Talking about the team, i don't want to be the only one suggesting here. I may be wrong about an EV spread or a particular move. If that's the case  i hope someone, or even you, will notice my mistake. Let's jump into it:

#I've adjusted naitre's EV spread just a bit. We are going to have Intimidate support from Arcanine so there's no need to invest in Def that much. Protect is useful to stay in non-mega form for at least one turn to negate the sun activation of M-CharY. Roost is a form of recovery, if you still like it. Ice Beam is a OHKO on M-Salamence (Hyper Voice is NOT if it's double targeting. On a 1on1, it's a OHKO)

Altaria @ Altarianite
Ability: Cloud Nine > Pixilate
Level: 50
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 80 SpA / 12 SpD / 4 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hyper Voice
- Flamethrower
- Roost / Ice Beam
- Protect

@Life Orb Bisharp Iron Head has only 6,3% chance to OHKO, then you KO it with Flamethrower
@Crobat Super Fang can put in Flamethrower KO range both M-Metagross and M-Mawile, so i would use this move instead of Fire Blast

#Crobat is the best Tailwind setter after Suicune and Talonflame thanks to Inner Focus, i like it. Without Prankster Thundurus around, i would not use Quick Guard, but i would run both Super Fang and Cross Poison for support + Poison coverage against Fairy types. Tailwind and Protect/Roost for the last slots. Sitrus Berry may be the best item for this support Crobat, but you should test it. The EV spread seems fine, there's now way it can survive a Psychic from a M-Gardevoir with some investment in SpA, so there's no point in putting something in Special Defence. Remember that Cross Poison will hit M-Gardevoir really hard. Protect is the best option but Roost always has a reason to be here, you can adjust it at your preference.

Crobat @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Tailwind
- Super Fang
- Cross Poison
- Protect / Roost

#Arcanine has to deal with M-Metagross, M-Mawile and Bisharp. A Rocky Helmet set makes more sense as it can switch into an Iron Head (or Play Rough) like a champ, trading a good amount of damage too. We'll heavily invest in physical bulk for this reason. With this set, even M-Kang will have an hard time taking Arcanine down at -1 or even -3 if you burn it. Morning Sun is excellent if you are facing physical attackers in general as you can burn them and watch them fainting from the Rocky Helmet damage while you are recovering. Flamethrower is a consistent move, even it's considered "weak", but at least you know it will hit (and it's a 2HKO on M-Metagross and M-Mawile anyway)

Arcanine @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 196 Def / 60 Spe
Bold Nature
- Flamethrower
- Will-O-Wisp
- Snarl
- Morning Sun

@Outspeeds Adamant Bisharp by 1 point, so that you can burn it with W-o-W avoiding a potential Sucker Punch if you think it's holding a Focus Sash, so that you can KO it with Flamethrower the next turn.

#Aegislash really needs some boost in power because it has to take down Sylveon and M-Gardevoir as soon as possible. The Life Orb set hits hard and it can get KOs you can't usually get with a standard set (for example a OHKO on M-Metagross with Shadow Ball). It still offers Wide Guard support, just in case, but if you have the possibility to attack Fairies, do it. Snarl damage from Arcanine + Flash Cannon can assure the KO on both of them. Just remember that Wide Guard is considered a protection move, so you will have 50% chance to get King's Shield up the following turn. However you can spam Wide Guard consecutively.

Aegislash @ Life Orb
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Flash Cannon
- Wide Guard
- King's Shield

252+ SpA Life Orb Aegislash-Blade Flash Cannon vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Mega Gardevoir: 172-203 (98.2 - 116%) -- 75% chance to OHKO
252+ SpA Life Orb Aegislash-Blade Flash Cannon vs. 140 HP / 0 SpD Sylveon: 174-211 (92.5 - 112.2%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO
252+ SpA Life Orb Aegislash-Blade Shadow Ball vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Mega Metagross: 203-242 (130.1 - 155.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

#For the 5th slot i'm choosing Gastrodon. Gastrodon adds a great type coverage to this team, with Water and Ground Stab attacks, which can hit Fire types hard, as we couldn't. Every other member resists to Grass, which is the only weakness of Gastrodon, so that you can switch anything into a Grass type move if you are afraid of it. Storm Drain ability protects Arcanine from Water type attacks, which are usually special attacks (and we have not invested in SpD) and it's a great win condition tool if you leave your opponent with a Water type pokemon which only knows Scald as attacking move. Ice Beam is for additional coverage. This offensive set with Expert Belt gets some interesting OHKOs.

Gastrodon @ Expert Belt
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 204 HP / 100 Def / 196 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Earth Power
- Ice Beam
- Protect

196+ SpA Expert Belt Gastrodon Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Mega Mawile: 161-190 (102.5 - 121%) -- guaranteed OHKO
196+ SpA Expert Belt Gastrodon Ice Beam vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Mega Salamence: 226-269 (132.1 - 157.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 Atk Parental Bond Mega Kangaskhan Double-Edge vs. 204 HP / 100 Def Gastrodon: 178-213 (83.9 - 100.4%) -- 0.4% chance to OHKO

#For the last slot we absolutely need a physical attacker. Scrafty can put some pressure on M-Kang (if Aegislash and Arcanine are not enough), it is excellent against Trick Room teams (togheter with Gastrodon and Aegislash) while being a good lead against Rain teams and M-CharY too. Its dual Fighting/Dark typing is great because its fits well in this team. However the double Intimidate can give problems against Milotic, which is still a threat to this team as we don't have anything supereffective to take it down fast (i'm not counting Defiant Bisharp because Arcanine's set shuts it down). A pure Fighting type pokemon like Conkeldurr would solve the problem if it wasn't for the Psychic weakness shared with Crobat (which puts M-Gardevoir and M-Metagross as major threats in this case). Another problem is that this team would be slow: Aegislash, Gastrodon and Scrafty/Conkeldurr even with their speed doubled can't really put more pressure than before. On the other hand this team is great against any Trick Room team. I was searching something with Helping Hand to boost M-Altaria Hyper Voice too.

I'm leaning towards the Conkeldurr, as the Assault Vest set can always take a Psychic from 252 SpA Gardevoir and we already have many ways to deal with M-Metagross. I have 3 unused battle ready Conkeldurr and i can give you one so that you can test the team with it. If you don't like it, we can always find something else, just please don't waste time breeding one yourself because i'm willing to give you one as i don't want you to waste time for just a test (that can potentially fail).

Quick edit: i've built the team without taking in consideration Suicune, Heatran, Terrakion, Landorus-T and Thundurus. However if you want to test it on Battle Spot i should post some damage calcs about them. Gastrodon takes care of everyone on this list anyway :D as it has Storm Drain for Suicune, it can OHKO Heatran, Terrakion and Landorus-T (while they have nothing to hit Gastrodon hard, same thing for Thundurus, which often carries HP Ice but it can't do much)

196+ SpA Expert Belt Gastrodon Earth Power vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Terrakion: 168-202 (100.5 - 120.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
196+ SpA Expert Belt Gastrodon Ice Beam vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-T: 245-293 (148.4 - 177.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
196+ SpA Expert Belt Gastrodon Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 48 SpD Thundurus: 118-139 (63.4 - 74.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ SpA Life Orb Aegislash-Blade Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 92 SpD Cresselia: 164-195 (72.2 - 85.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Life Orb Aegislash-Blade Flash Cannon vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Terrakion: 242-283 (144.9 - 169.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 Atk Terrakion Rock Slide vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Crobat: 116-138 (60.4 - 71.8%) -- 90.6% chance to 2HKO after Sitrus Berry recovery
36 SpA Thundurus Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Crobat: 152-182 (79.1 - 94.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Sitrus Berry recovery
100 SpA Suicune Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Crobat: 84-100 (43.7 - 52%) -- 3.1% chance to 2HKO after Sitrus Berry recovery

-1 252 Atk Terrakion Rock Slide vs. 252 HP / 196+ Def Arcanine: 54-66 (27.4 - 33.5%) -- Miniscule chance to 3HKO
-1 252+ Atk Landorus-T Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 196+ Def Arcanine: 90-108 (45.6 - 54.8%) -- 45.3% chance to 2HKO

Messages In This Thread
RE: My First Mini VGC "Competition" Performance + Request for Advice - by GiMYz - May 10, 2015, 04:04 PM