Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

[VGC] Anti meta in progress, please help
Okay so I've been working on a new team to deal with the obnoxious vgc meta that's been plaguing me. I'm tired of the genies making me face palm all the time, I'm tired of the only mega's being kanga and Gardy and I'm just tired of looking at cresselia. Just in general. Friggin floating pink troll. Friggin genie trolls.

ANYWAYS. I wrote out a list from Pokemon GL of the top guys and what they use and kept in mind my own experience with these way overused minguses and figured out some guys I have that threaten them. So I have been toying around with some guys, but thus far have only decided on five permanent team members. It all started with a serious look at:

[Image: weavile.gif]
Tina Fey(Weavile)@ focus sash
ability: pickpocket
ev's: 252 ATK 252 SPE 4HP
Adamant Nature
- Fake out/Feint
- Icicle Crash
- Knock Off
- Ice Shard

I noticed Weavile while looking for a genie counter. I'm a big fan of fake out and like using the focus sash with pickpocket because she frequently steals an item from the guy that popped her focus sash. She kills Lando and threatens some other very relevant threats. I wanted to form a mini ghost dark core and I am an older player so I am having issues remembering to provide fairy coverage so I decided not to make that mistake and go:

[Image: gengar.gif]
Nyarlathotep(Gengar)@ life orb
ability: levitate
ev's: 252 SPA 252 SPE and 4SPD
Timid Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Shadow Ball
- Protect
- Taunt

So These two put in some work together. I haven't run a gengar since I was a kid playing pokemon red and am definitely open to criticism on its set. The idea is to put in some damage and carry taunt for the unsuspecting Thundey. Protect is mainly for the vgc style misdirection. Two pokemon in and I didn't think that mega gengar worked for my playstyle or what I was going for. Extreme deliberation led me to:

[Image: metagross-mega.png]
MEGAGROSS(metagross)@Metagrossite
ability: clear body/tough claws
ev's: 252 ATK 252 SPE 4HP
Adamant nature
- Protect
- Zen Headbutt
- Iron Head
- Thunder Punch/Earthquake.

I have wanted to give megagross a chance for a while now, Plus it is very hard to OHKO in a lot of situations and that appealed to me at this point because my first two picks are a little frail. Ok, they're a big frail, but the megagross does ok. I feel like his main stabs and protect are pretty necessary for his damage output but have been struggling with his coverage move as in play tests both have worked out pretty well. Now the issue with Grossey here is that I've opened myself up for fire damage with two supereffective targets so a water guy is in order.

[Image: rotom-wash.gif]
W. (rotom w.)@ Leftovers
ability: levitate
ev's: 252HP 44DEF 60SPA 148SPD 4SPE
calm nature
- Protect
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Will o Wisp

I have been good bro's with this Rotom for some time. It's complex ev spread was a rip from smogon becaus of the survived hits it provided. I like running Volt switch for it's flexability. It lets me get rotom out of some grass attacks and bring Gengar or Megagross in to take them. I'm considering changing it's item to a sitris berry but haven't decided yet. With these four picked out I felt threatened by offensive dark pokemon and any speedy shadow balls that might hit gengar. I also wanted an answer to talonflame and something aside from Weavile to handle thundy.

[Image: terrakion.gif]
Samson (terrakion)@Lum berry
Ability: Justified
ev's: 252Atk 252SPE 4HP
Nature: um... I forget but my only viable terrakion is neutral natured.
- Close Combat
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake/X-Scissor
- Quick Guard

The quick guard really has helped me on this pokemon. I generally avoid legendaries but I just love his type and offensive presence. I figure I'll decide on his coverage move once I get down what to put on megagross since I mainly stick to his stabs. I was running a scarf set originally with the listed moves minus quick guard so I may need to retool his ev's.

And those five are where I'm at. I've been running a prankster sableye with quash/taunt/willowisp/recover but the extra fairy hit hasn't done me any favors and I was hoping to discuss what would be an effective sixth pokemon. One rule: It can't be from the top twelve on the usage boards.

Messages In This Thread
Anti meta in progress, please help - by bradar485 - Sep 14, 2015, 06:24 PM
RE: Anti meta in progress, please help - by Slec - Sep 14, 2015, 06:34 PM
RE: Anti meta in progress, please help - by Black117 - Sep 14, 2015, 09:03 PM
RE: Anti meta in progress, please help - by Justin - Sep 14, 2015, 11:17 PM
RE: Anti meta in progress, please help - by Black117 - Sep 15, 2015, 02:36 PM