Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

[DISCUSSION] [CLOSED] Megagross Question
Get it? Mega metagross? Megagross? I'll stop.

Hello all!

I'm sort of wondering here. Mega Metagross has 150 Def and 110 Speed. I've seen the smogon usage tips page thing and a few forums as well as the Poketuber aDrive's UCL team.

I'll get to the point, now. I can't help but notice that everyone is going for a Jolly max speed fast AF Megagross and/or rock polish. Not once did aDrive use bulkygross - he always went for speed. But he also has a lot of bulk. At the risk of starting arguements, is Megagross better and being max def or max speed?

It gets tough claws-boosted STAB bullet punch coming from a 145 base atk stat, so it can afford to be bulky. On the other hand, if it can be fast, it can probably OHKO quite a few threats.

Should I go with speed or bulk?
(This is for competitive use but not VGC if that makes sense)
+1 rep for helpful replies

Thanks in advance, friends!
Well you could take a look at Smogon for tips on building Metagross - http://www.smogon.com/dex/xy/pokemon/metagross/

Or you could take a look at the builds other people have submitted on this site - http://pokemonforever.com/Thread-VGC-VGC...l-Attacker, http://pokemonforever.com/Thread-VGC-VGC...l-Attacker
The minute you think of giving up, think of the reason why you held on so long.
This thread actually kinda blew my mind. I had always assumed that Megagross needed the speed to outspeed some common threats, but I just ran some numbers on Showdown's calculator. Against common threats, the bulky variant (Impish +Def, +Sp.Def) still did really well against everything I'd want it to. I put in most of the common threats in OU, and I really only had problems with stuff that was going to deal with the speedy version anyways.
Mega Metagross' role is to be a fast revenge killer as well as a late game sweeper. Bulky Mega Metagross isn't a good idea simply because it doesn't have access to any forms of recovery unlike normal Metagross who possess the ability to hold an item such as Leftovers or even Assault Vest - which helps it to switch into attacks safer.

150 Defense is good and all but without speed, simply chip at Mega Metagross then clean it up. Without the speed, it has no way to retaliate effectively.
[Insert signature here]
Thanks for the replies!

Your opinions shall be considered. I shall wait for a few more replies to gather new intel.

Excalibur0126; I did check the smogon tips before posting (that's what I meant by 'smogon usage tips page thing', but, again, my wording was dodgy)

Vohras; It's a good thing that I blew your mind, right?
Your welcome!

Marcusube; You were on my other thread :D
Again, great information

Thanks, guys!
+1 rep to you all
I played a few hours with a couple of different bulky builds on Smogon. I honestly have to say, it left me very underwhelmed compared to the speed variant. It just didn't tank hits as well as I thought and was just too slow/weak to get the KOs I needed.