Poll: Did you think 'Oai'i' was a real name?
This poll is closed.
Yes!
61.54%
8 61.54%
No...
38.46%
5 38.46%
Total 13 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

[DISCUSSION] The IGN Explanation Thread! - with 0kamii
Hey, everybody! It's 0kamii, and today I want to inquiry into all your creativity!

So recently, I've notice that many people's IGN isn't the same as their actually first name. While trading over the internet is becoming more and more common, I can understand the reason for the increase in anonymity. However, seeing as how I do a lot of trading, some IGNs really stick out over others. I can't help but wonder why some people use the IGNs that they do, so today I want to Break the Mold and see how/why people came up with their IGNs, and what they mean!

The IGN Explanation Thread! - with 0kamii

For those of you that don't know, IGN is an acronym for In-Game Name. It's the name you give your avatar in the game that represents you to other players and to yourself. Some people, such as myself, keep it simple use their real first name, or variants of it (Christopher = Chris). Other people however, get very creative and come up with some unique IGNs that really stick out. For example, my brother's IGN for Call of Duty is ChcknBonez. Yes, an abbreviated version of 'Chicken Bones' is meant to instill fear while he's running around the multiplayer map. But I digress. For this thread specifically, we're talking about our IGNs from various Pokémon games. So I'd personally like to start off with my own IGN.

[Image: 82ZahUq.png]

For those of you that know my IGN, you've probably wondered why it's this. Well, I was asked by user @AverageJoe just the other day if Oai'i was my real name. And the answer is yes! In fact, it was a source of scrutiny on the elementary school playground. For a long time, I didn't even go by Oai'i because people would either tease me or mispronounce it. My nickname, Joei, is basically a perversion for simplicity sake, but I still use Oai'i for most of my Pokémon related outlooks. Then, when Sun and Moon came out, I thought, "Huh, games based on Hawai'i! And my name sounds Hawaiian!" So it seemed like a perfect match. Fun fact, if you put my name into Google translate, it'll tell you my name means 'supreme wealth.' I'll take it! Big Grin

As for my PokémonForever username, I chose '0kamii' because I love the game Ōkami and I really wanted a mononymous name that was easy to type and say. The only thing was that 'Okami' was taken, so I spelled it with a zero (0) and added two i's (ii). Which, of course, was not taken! And thus, 0kamii was born!

Well, there you have it! My IGN is just my name, and my PF username was based on my favorite Wii game. Not too exciting, but I'm curious to see what other people have to say! I'll be sure to tag other users down below. Remember that this ISN'T a conversation with me, so don't be afraid to speak with each other! See you all on Wednesday with my newest post!

Thanks so much for reading, everyone! Battle onwards, friends!

- 0kamii

P.S. Out of curiousity, I looked up the Hawaiian version of 'Joei,' and it's apparently 'Ioei.' I think I'll stick with Oai'i.
Smile
Amethyst Ωmega - Guild Leader/Founder 

Hey, everybody! I'm still 0kamii, and for my post today, I think I want to tag users: @stephenWITNESS, @Sorianwarrior, @moo311, and new users @Zhovul and @Ubi49. Your question of the day is:

What is the meaning of your pokémon IGN, and why did you choose it?

I look forward to the replies! Thanks again, everyone!

- 0kamii
Amethyst Ωmega - Guild Leader/Founder 

my IGN is my real name of some reason when i started my first ever pokemon game (emarald) i though it did need my real name for me to play (i was a kid don't juge Tongue ), but my PF name actually means dragon with 01 added. i got it from my favorite fantasy book series Inheritance by Christopher Paolini. I love every thing dragon related so yeah Big Grin
I picked Serena because it was a dare since I don't actually like the character at all. Then I found the clothing, I'd like to say I have the most accurate Serena 'cosplay' in S/M.

That's an epic name btw @0kamii for anyone curious my name is Cody
OU MASTER RACE
When I first got into online games several years ago, I wanted to create an IGN that was personal but generic enough for the English-speaking world to handle. So I spent alot of time thinking about different alternatives and options. I finally settled on PerchPond, even though it isn't the most exciting name out there. It's a direct translation of my Finnish first surname ( I have two last names, one from my Swedish mother's side and one from my father's Finnish side), and it simply means perch-pond (referring to a pond with perch in it).
"To believe in an ideal, is to be willing to betray it"
                 VGC, Friend Safari, Masuda
My avatar name Sorianwarrior is actually based on a place in a book i am currently writing with a friend (Soria). 

My IGN: Gilvin is a combination of both my and my wife's last names, Irvin and Gildow...and Irvdow sounds kinda stupid, lol
Irvdow best ship Kappa
OU MASTER RACE
@0kamii I'm gonna start calling you Pangor0kamii now Mr. Mold Breaker
OU MASTER RACE
I am pretty bad when it comes generating anything but fantasy sounding names (I play and sometimes run D&D games giving me some experience) but they don't really have much meaning so for in game name I usually use either a random name or my real name. so not much interesting generally.

However, I much prefer my user name Tenebris Kane which I now use for most online gaming, after a while trying to come up with a User name with meaning behind it I translated the meaning of my name and since it was already interesting (the meaning for my names reads as The Dark Warrior). I used a mixture of latin for darkness and a slight variation from my last name to create the user name: Tenebris Kane and I have since stuck with it through the years.

(Oct 9, 2017, 08:43 AM)Tenebris_Kane Wrote: I am pretty bad when it comes generating anything but fantasy sounding names (I play and sometimes run D&D games giving me some experience) but they don't really have much meaning so for in game name I usually use either a random name or my real name. so not much interesting generally.

However, I much prefer my user name Tenebris Kane which I now use for most online gaming, after a while trying to come up with a User name with meaning behind it I translated the meaning of my name and since it was already interesting (the meaning for my names reads as The Dark Warrior). I used a mixture of latin for darkness and a slight variation from my last name to create the user name: Tenebris Kane and I have since stuck with it through the years.
@Tenebris_Kane I have a character named Tenebris in Pillars of Eternity 2, also taken from latin's word for darkness, that's pretty cool Blush
"To believe in an ideal, is to be willing to betray it"
                 VGC, Friend Safari, Masuda