Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

[ORAS] I just completed my Living Dex! Here is how I did it!
Rainbow 
I DID IT GUISE!!!!!11!

I just completed my Living Dex in OR, with help from friends, reddit, and you guys! It took me just over 100 hours, and I'm gonna tell you how I did it, but first, I gotta brag a little. (I am allowed to, right... right?)

LOOK AT IT!!!

HOW I DID IT:

Step 0: Name your boxes

If you do not want to claw your eyes out, name your boxes after dex numbers, the first box being named 001-030, second 031-060 etc. This will make sorting your boxes A LOT easier. Please do it.

Step 0.5: Use PokéChecklist

This nifty little website lets you check off the Pokémons you already have, and tells you where you can catch those you're missing. Sadly, this website doesn't tell you how to evolve different Pokémon, so I used Serebii for that. This website is almost a must, because just looking at your boxes and the Pokédex can be confusing. It also saves your progress as cookies, so don't delete your cookies unless you want to check off all your captured Pokémon again!

Step 1: Transfer

I have played Pokémon since RSE, and I have owned pretty much every generation of games after that. So the first logical step would be to transfer everything up to X/Y or ORAS. To do this you need 2 DSes and Pokémon Bank. This is gonna take time. You are gonna hate the minigame in White/Black. You will get frustrated. Don't worry though, it's all worth it in the end (I hope)! This step is, of course, optional, since the devs of Pokémon decided to be nice and make it possible to complete your living dex using only X/Y and ORAS. However, it shortens the process significantly if you had a lot of Pokémon in your earlier games.

Step 2: Start catching EVERYTHING

You'll want to catch one of every Pokémon, and if you for example catch a Poochyena, you want to catch 2 of them, so you can evolve one into Mightyena. You can also breed to get more, but by the end of your living dex adventures you will be so sick and tired of breeding that you'd rather endure some sort of torture or something. Believe me.
Catch every Pokémon in each route, and several of those with evolution lines. Put them in your PC, sorted by number.

Step 3: Evolving

After catching heaps and heaps of Pokémon, you gotta evolve some of them. Doing this in ORAS is what I recommend, because of Blissey Secret Bases. What are those? Oh, they're just God's work. I love them. Here are some, no problem. Bring a Pokémon that knows AoE attacks like Rock Slide or something, take 5 (or 4 if you like having a Pokémon with flying on your team) Pokémon with you and beat those Blisseys to death. Click through all the level-ups and repeat the process. If you're playing on X/Y you can beat the Pokémon League or something. I don't really like those games so I haven't played them that much.
At this point you'll also want to hoard evolution stones! This is important, because a ****-tonne of Pokémon LOVE being annoying little Moon Stone-evolvers. (Seriously, why do so many Pokémon evolve using Moon Stones?)

Here is a list of Pokémon evolving by stones.

Step 4: Breeding

You're gonna want one of these guys: [Image: 132.gif]

Your boxes should be filling up by now! Great job! Now begins the repetitive, boring part. Bring all the Pokémon you lack babies to, and start breeding. This is gonna take a while, I recommend finding a new series to watch or something. This step is pretty straightforward, breed Pokémon, put in box, repeat.

Step 5: Filling in the empty spaces

When you've reached this step, you probably lack some events or legendaries. Pokemon Plaza on Reddit has giveaways pretty often, and this forum has a lot of kind Pokégen-giveaways as well! Alternatively, if you live somewhere that actually gets events, you can take advantage of those too, you lucky bastards. If possible, trade them something nice back! I myself am very Pokémon-poor and lack any good events, sorry guys that traded me epic Pokémon. Sad

Optional, but pretty useful stuff

- You can trade your leftover Pokémon on the Wonder Trade. (Please avoid trading your Zigzagoons and Magikarps there)
- To get version exclusives or just non-legendary Pokémon that you lack, use the GTS. Often people want one version exclusive for the opposite's exclusive.
- Watch series. Seriously. This stuff gets boring, and you can do it blind after a while.
- Consistently check off all captured Pokémon on the PokéChecklist. This will make your life easier.

I hope my guide will be useful to someone! Thanks to Animekid7 and Eckley for providing me with the last Pokémon I needed, you guys are great!

EDIT: Can a mod please move this to the guides-section? :3 Thanks!
Thanks! And congrats to you as well for completing yours :D Luckily you can just transfer them via PokéBank, so you don't have to complete the living dex several times if you don't really wanna.
I still need to complete my National Dex so I can get a shiny charm. According to my calculator, I need about 136 more pokes to get it. Might make a thread.
I'm just here.

#RowletBois
i need to work on my Living Pokedex, but the problem I have is that I'm SUPER lazy
Congratulations! Glad I could help out :D
The closest I've come to completing a pokedex is every pokemon except mew and trade/ trade evolutions on pokemon red. Haven't got the patience to do it on oras haha
I finished mine a few days ago. Took about 8-10 days (but I did take a 2 month break when working on the 2nd gen). I pretty much just checked what I had in my boxes "by hand", caught/bred/leveled up stuff I needed and the things I couldn't get or was too lazy to get I traded for on the GTS. The HA 2nd gen starters got me pretty much anything I asked for within minutes. Traded with myself for the trade evolutions.

Oh, and I made a deal with someone to get all the legendaries for me since I didn't want to catch mine in OR (so I could SR for shinies and comp ones) and I didn't want to restart my game either. Gave him four shinies I didn't really want (hacks and clones) for almost all the legendaries.
(Mar 9, 2015, 05:05 PM)GingerxPug Wrote: I still need to complete my National Dex so I can get a shiny charm. According to my calculator, I need about 136 more pokes to get it. Might make a thread.

Yeah, the Shiny Charm is pretty awesome! 136 Pokes is not a lot, good luck! :D

(Mar 9, 2015, 05:13 PM)Vexian Wrote: i need to work on my Living Pokedex, but the problem I have is that I'm SUPER lazy

Haha, yeah. This has been my project for a while, something I've been doing when on the bus or bored or whatever. It can be quite chill, actually!

(Mar 9, 2015, 05:42 PM)Eckley Wrote: Congratulations! Glad I could help out :D
The closest I've come to completing a pokedex is every pokemon except mew and trade/ trade evolutions on pokemon red. Haven't got the patience to do it on oras haha

Thanks! And thanks again for the help! And getting that close to completing the dex in red is pretty impressive, since there's no wifi. And yeah, there's waaaay too many Pokémon now haha.

(Mar 10, 2015, 03:04 AM)Onihige Wrote: I finished mine a few days ago. Took about 8-10 days (but I did take a 2 month break when working on the 2nd gen). I pretty much just checked what I had in my boxes "by hand", caught/bred/leveled up stuff I needed and the things I couldn't get or was too lazy to get I traded for on the GTS. The HA 2nd gen starters got me pretty much anything I asked for within minutes. Traded with myself for the trade evolutions.

Oh, and I made a deal with someone to get all the legendaries for me since I didn't want to catch mine in OR (so I could SR for shinies and comp ones) and I didn't want to restart my game either. Gave him four shinies I didn't really want (hacks and clones) for almost all the legendaries.

8-10 days??? Did you play non-stop those days or what? I can see why the 2nd gen HA starters would get you most things, they're pretty popular. Anyway, good job on the living dex! I could never have done it that fast.
Well my living pokedex is almost complete. In probably only missing about 30 or less pokemon and only 2 are legendaries (Zapdos and moltres)
Congrats! This is a great guide. I also finished my Living Dex in Y and used some of these tips/strategies too. :D
Nice pics and penmanship.