Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

[ORAS] Proven (not confirmed) way to Shiny Chain using DexNav!
**Almost all information courtesy of http://www.twitch.tv/pokemoncenter who has allowed me to keep this thread up for educational purposes **
Please support him if you find this guide useful! He helped write! I'm just compiling what he has said about shiny chaining, and putting it into an understandable format.

Disclaimer: It is possible that EVERY RUSTLING GRASS PATCH HAS THE SAME ODDS, and it is possible that chaining consecutively in this way DOES NOT increase the odds.

Step-by-step guide to shiny chaining:
*Be sure to use repels with this method
1. Find an area suitable to hunt shiny Pokemon.

How To Find An Area Suitable To Hunt Shiny Pokemon

To start off, you're going to need either one very large patch of grass, or you are going  to need multiple patches of grass.
Once you find one of these areas, you're going to need to test it. Not all areas are suitable. The only way to test is to try a chain and see how it does!

Here's the explanation:
While using the DexNav, think of it as you being in the center of a circular radar. When you  press "search," it pings the area around you where rustling grass is possible. There is a set amount of spots where rustling grass can occur. There has to be enough of these locations around you for you to be able to always find rustling grass; and, consequently, encounter a Pokemon to continue the chain.

The 100% guaranteed spots to shiny hunt include (I'll update this as people find more shiny pokemon!):
(Use these spots to start out to make sure you are correctly following the method)
Route 116
Catch-able Pokemon:
Zigzagoon
Taillow
Nincada
Whismur
Skitty
[Image: XjmmiLe.jpg]

~and~

Safari Zone (Area 2)
Catch-able Pokemon:
Pikachu
Oddish
Gloom
Doduo
Natu
Girafarig
Wobbuffet
[Image: SZ5YO3o.jpg]

Route 114
Catch-able Pokemon:
Lombre
Swablu *(This Pokemon has a history of terrible chain luck. Two people had chains over 300 and still did not find a shiny)
Seviper
Tympole
Lotad
Surskit
Misdreavus
[Image: kPTlrDe.jpg]

2. Decide which Pokemon you wish to shiny chain, and make sure you have captured at least one of it (So that it is searchable in the DexNav).

3. Select the Pokemon in the DexNav, and click search
More information about where you can and cannot press search:

FAQ About Pressing Search

Q: Do you have to recharge the radar after encountering a Pokemon?
A: No, you can stand completely still without breaking the chain. HOWEVER, it is highly recommended (after each encounter) that you go back to the original spot where you first pressed search.

Q: Where am I able to press search?
A: You are able to press search in both grassy and non-grassy areas without breaking the chain.

*No matter where you press search, there just has to be enough of the ping-able rustling grass (as discussed in the section about finding a suitable shiny hunting area) or the chain will break.

4. Creep on the rustling bush it creates to encounter the Pokemon. You need to kill that Pokemon. Running away will reset the chain.

5. You have just started the chain! Exit the grass, search, and repeat the process.

How To Know You are Chaining Correctly

Check the level of the Pokemon!
The base level of the Pokemon you are chaining will grow as your chain number grows.

Every 5th Pokemon will be 10 levels higher than the base. After the 5th Pokemon, the base level will increase by 1 for the next 5. This cycle loops until you reach chain number 100.
Once you reach chain number 100, the base level will reset to 1 above the original base level.

There are a few possible ways to break the chain:
1. You don't creep towards it while within about a 5 block radius (basically once the shadow appears on the radar you need to make sure that you are creeping)
2. You don't get to the rustling grass in time
3. You run away from the Pokemon

Attention! There are some nuances to the DexNav Please read:

1. If you do not find a rustling bush at all after pressing search, you have to recharge the DexNav! The chain is not broken!
Run about 20 steps and try to search again!

2. If a different Pokemon than the one you are chaining pops up on your radar, your chain is not broken!
In rare cases, your DexNav will alert you of rustling grass containing another Pokemon than the one you are chaining. This will not break the chain if handled properly!
You must encounter and faint the Pokemon that appears on your DexNav, and then you can continue your chain as normal.

Some other tips:
- It is believed only right now that the chances of finding a shiny were the same as XY, once you hit a 40 chain it's a 1/200 chance of a shiny.
- There is no shiny grass you are looking for. The shiny Pokemon will be in what looks like normal rustling grass. You just have to continue the chain.
- Some people have reported getting shiny Pokemon as low as an 18 chain and 28 chain using this method.
- As far as it goes now with this method, it is believed that the search level has absolutely no function in getting a higher shiny percent chance. For now, just use the levels as a counter for what chain you are on.

Again, this is information I compiled into a readable format from the guy over at http://www.twitch.tv/pokemoncenter . He's good at explaining things; be sure to stop by his stream! Hopefully this helped you guys! PLEASE SUPPORT HIM IF YOU FOUND THIS GUIDE TO BE SUCCESSFUL.

If you have any questions, comments, or concerns please feel free to post!
If there is something I can add for clarification please let me know! Thanks, and happy shiny hunting!

Some proof from people on this forum using this method! Will update as more people catch shiny Pokemon!

Joushou's Shiny Skiddy using this method:

He got it after the 40th chain [Image: 59f69e65eb.jpg]

Animekid7's Shiny Zangoose using this method:

Caught on Route 114 on a 40+ chain
[Image: B3so8a2CEAAVbsE.jpg:small]
Interesting, a bit more detailed than other videos I've seen regarding this. All of the theories pretty much say the same things so I guess I'll start hunting then.
I'll never beat the game if I keep getting distracted trying to shiny hunt! Smile Guess I won't be seeing gym 4 anytime soon!

Thanks for the info!
Thanks for this! I hoped the DexNav would be a bit like the pokeradar. On to the hunt when I get this game! :D
One tip i read in the Official Strategy Guide was that sometimes a search will fail if you haven't taken 20 steps. I'm guessing that this is the role stepping out of the grass serves in the proposed method and that you perhaps don't have to be outside of the grass but I will test it when I try this method.
(Nov 26, 2014, 11:42 AM)Joushou Wrote: One tip i read in the Official Strategy Guide was that sometimes a search will fail if you haven't taken 20 steps. I'm guessing that this is the role stepping out of the grass serves in the proposed method and that you perhaps don't have to be outside of the grass but I will test it when I try this method.

Oh, really? That makes sense for sure. I'll add this to the post now.
I'll have to try this out as well! Please share what you found after you test it!
Seems like the 20 steps isn't necessary. I'm not even moving after the encounter before starting a new one. Sometimes the search will fail and I'm still not sure why. This happens both in grass and out of grass so I'm not sure how the game is deciding to break the chain. I've also caught the chained Pokemon and had my chain continue afterward but running WILL break the chain always. One thing I'd like to point out also is that if you walk out of the grass before pressing search you run the risk of a random Pokemon appearing on the DexNav and breaking the chain (even if it is the Pokemon you are looking for). This can also happen in the grass which is why I usually press search right away after I faint a Pokemon in the chain. I really want to know what causes the random chain breaking...
(Nov 26, 2014, 02:08 PM)Joushou Wrote: Seems like the 20 steps isn't necessary. I'm not even moving after the encounter before starting a new one. Sometimes the search will fail and I'm still not sure why. This happens both in grass and out of grass so I'm not sure how the game is deciding to break the chain. I've also caught the chained Pokemon and had my chain continue afterward but running WILL break the chain always. One thing I'd like to point out also is that if you walk out of the grass before pressing search you run the risk of a random Pokemon appearing on the DexNav and breaking the chain (even if it is the Pokemon you are looking for). I have never had this happen when I stay in the grass but more testing is needed. For this reason I would suggest, for the time being, not going out of the grass before pressing search.

Honestly I'm thinking that maybe I did not explain the method well enough, or you are doing the method incorrectly. I've never had a chain "randomly break" as long as I was following exactly what I put in this original post. I've gotten 3 chains over 40, and all of them were broken by me accidentally slipping up and running towards the Pokemon while within a 5 block radius.

Concerning running away once you start the encounter, I had already stated that that would break the chain.
(Nov 26, 2014, 02:26 PM)Jack Wrote:
(Nov 26, 2014, 02:08 PM)Joushou Wrote: Seems like the 20 steps isn't necessary. I'm not even moving after the encounter before starting a new one. Sometimes the search will fail and I'm still not sure why. This happens both in grass and out of grass so I'm not sure how the game is deciding to break the chain. I've also caught the chained Pokemon and had my chain continue afterward but running WILL break the chain always. One thing I'd like to point out also is that if you walk out of the grass before pressing search you run the risk of a random Pokemon appearing on the DexNav and breaking the chain (even if it is the Pokemon you are looking for). I have never had this happen when I stay in the grass but more testing is needed. For this reason I would suggest, for the time being, not going out of the grass before pressing search.

Honestly I'm thinking that maybe I did not explain the method well enough, or you are doing the method incorrectly. I've never had a chain "randomly break" as long as I was following exactly what I put in this original post. I've gotten 3 chains over 40, and all of them were broken by me accidentally slipping up and running towards the Pokemon while within a 5 block radius.

Concerning running away once you start the encounter, I had already stated that that would break the chain.

I was merely confirming the running away part. I've tried going out of the grass before searching and still had it randomly break afterward. It may be linked to the route I'm testing on, Route 116. I haven't been able to get paat a 25 chain using the method mentioned in the opening post or my modified method on this route yet. I think this is due to how far separated the grass patches are in the route. I wouldn't expect this to happen in cave like areas so I will test there next.
Quote:I was merely confirming the running away part. I've tried going out of the grass before searching and still had it randomly break afterward. It may be linked to the route I'm testing on, Route 116. I haven't been able to get paat a 25 chain using the method mentioned in the opening post or my modified method on this route yet. I think this is due to how far separated the grass patches are in the route. I wouldn't expect this to happen in cave like areas so I will test there next.

Ahh, okay. I understand what you're saying now. Thanks for clarifying!

I have not tried this in caves or in the water yet, but the method seems pretty universal. I have high hopes that it will probably work!