Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

[ORAS] Small Problem
Okay, this is probably really obvious and stupid, but it has me stumped. I recently bred a competitive Japanese sand team, with the usual trio of Excadrill, Tyranitar, and Salamence. Anyway, I went with Assurance on Tyranitar, and as such i trained my EV's to ensure Mega Salamence would go before Tyranitar. As it stands, Mega Salamence has 185 speed at level 50, and Tyranitar has 122 speed at 50 plus choice scarf, meaning after the 50% increase Tyranitar's speed should be 183. Thus, Mega Salamence should always go first, right? However, after testing over 30 battles in Battle Maison, it is clear that they are somehow tying, as they seem to take turns going first. This obviously drastically reduces the usefulness of Assurance. Does anyone know what could be causing this problem? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
(Nov 7, 2015, 07:53 PM)CyborgPancake Wrote: Okay, this is probably really obvious and stupid, but it has me stumped. I recently bred a competitive Japanese sand team, with the usual trio of                      Excadrill, Tyranitar, and Salamence. Anyway, I went with Assurance on Tyranitar, and as such i trained my EV's to ensure Mega Salamence would go before Tyranitar. As it stands, Mega Salamence has 185 speed at level 50, and Tyranitar has 122 speed at 50 plus choice scarf, meaning after the 50% increase Tyranitar's speed should be 183. Thus, Mega Salamence should always go first, right? However, after testing over 30 battles in Battle Maison, it is clear that they are somehow tying, as they seem to take turns going first. This obviously drastically reduces the usefulness of Assurance. Does anyone know what could be causing this problem? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Here's the thing, when Salamence Mega Evolves into Mega Salamence, it will receive a small speed increase of 20 base points so obviously Scarf Tyranitar will outspeed your Mence on the first turn. Obviously Salamence will still have a base speed of 100 which caps at 167 but your Scarf Tyranitar is still faster so this might explain if you are going for Hyper Voice + Assurance. After the next turn, Mega Salamence should be outspeeding your own Scarft Tyranitar after it goes Mega. If this doesn't address your concern, then I'd suggest you check the EVs of both Pokemon and see if Mega Salamence (as a Mega) clearly outspeeds Tyranitar + Scarf. At max speed with Scarf, Tyranitar is at 186 so use this as a benchmark.