Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

Powersaves
For a while now I've felt that using Powersaves is fine but not something that I would personally want to use. Now that I've passed 500hrs total playtime and spent only a small portion of that outside of breeding I'm starting to see why so many people have started to use Powersaves.

With a few mouse clicks you can turn almost any Pokemon into a competitive 'mon in Powersaves provided they have the right nature, ability, and egg moves. Hell you can even make them all shiny. The main reason I've not wanted to use Powersaves is because I have spent lots of time trying to breed Pokemon with the right nature, ability, egg moves, and Pokeball and I felt there was merit to doing things the harder and proper way. If there was no Powersave option I'm sure that the Pokemon I've bred would mean something but spending so much of my time breeding Pokemon the old fashioned way just seems like a waste of time now.

Should I keep doing what I've been doing for a year when I could just spend $30 and skip on to the competitive scene? What are the community's thoughts on the usage of Powersave and its effects on the metagame?
I got myself a powersave, and i feel like, yes its an unfair way of doing stuff, but it doesnt actually change anything imo. before i got powersaves, i bred pokes the normal way, and it took forever and was just tiring. then school started and i just didnt have time to breed anymore with how busy my schedule got. it really just gives people the option to use more competitive pokemon then the standard ones that are common. if anything, i feel like its a way to let new people who dont know much about battling get better at it faster. i support powersaves, and i would reccomend them to people, but im not saying that they are just this thing that makes everything completely fair.
Ninetales iz rly cewl kthnxbye
also adding on to what i said, i dont really like to shinify pokemon, and i try to avoid it, i dont do it for myself and only for others. I dont know why but i just dont like using the fake shinies.
Ninetales iz rly cewl kthnxbye
I use powersaves pretty much exclusively for the cloning option. It's super helpful after I've just traded several shinies with people to be able to replace my stock with just a few clicks. With just that alone, powersaves has saved me so much time and was definitely worth the $15 bucks or so I paid for it. As far as hacking IVs and natures, while I don't really have a problem with it a lot of other people do, mostly because they don't like it when something they've spent hours trying to get someone else can make in a matter of minutes. I still don't think legitimate breeders should try to condemn those who choose to powersave however; even before powersaves, 6 IV shiny legendaries and competitive pokemon were already extremely common due to genning and RNG, so I don't think they can complain about devaluing. If someone wants a perfect Pokemon like that it's pretty easy to obtain one, it just depends how much time you're willing to invest.

So if you really value breeding your Pokemon yourself without the use of Powersaves then I'd skip it, if not it's a huge time saver and just makes life easier.
Well I caved and got a Powersave Pro. I don't have the time with school going on to breed for days in some cases for perfect IVs and Pokeballs. I'd also like to avoid using Smogon because as useful as it is for building Pokemon, your mindset playing there and your mindset playing in the game are totally different as you feel stresses different ways. Also I'm tired of seeing the genies every two seconds. Really wish gen V hadn't gone so legend happy. Anyhow, if the competitive scene is going to rely on Powersaves then I guess I'll have to join them if I want to get anywhere while I'm juggling school but I still don't support the creation of Pokemon that can't legally exist.
in my opinion powersaves is great it saves time, i dont think its cheating because although you can get almost any pokemon you want thats not a guarantee that you will know how to use it, so it varies from player to player still for battle strategy it just saves time in getting a pokemon.
(Nov 2, 2014, 10:49 AM)Joushou Wrote: For a while now I've felt that using Powersaves is fine but not something that I would personally want to use. Now that I've passed 500hrs total playtime and spent only a small portion of that outside of breeding I'm starting to see why so many people have started to use Powersaves.

With a few mouse clicks you can turn almost any Pokemon into a competitive 'mon in Powersaves provided they have the right nature, ability, and egg moves. Hell you can even make them all shiny. The main reason I've not wanted to use Powersaves is because I have spent lots of time trying to breed Pokemon with the right nature, ability, egg moves, and Pokeball and I felt there was merit to doing things the harder and proper way. If there was no Powersave option I'm sure that the Pokemon I've bred would mean something but spending so much of my time breeding Pokemon the old fashioned way just seems like a waste of time now.

Should I keep doing what I've been doing for a year when I could just spend $30 and skip on to the competitive scene? What are the community's thoughts on the usage of Powersave and its effects on the metagame?

Actually, the Nature doesn't matter now - you can change that as well.
I've found that Powersaves has been such a huge help for me since I've been able to clone event pokemon so whoever was unable to get a particular event I'll be able to help them out. I like that if I have an issue with an IV I'd be able to just change it instead of rebreeding. (When I bred my Hydreigon, for some reason I took a 5 IV one that was missing Sp Def so I just changed it to 6 IVs.

I don't really care much for shinifying Pokemon since I enjoy getting them the legitimate way (as I currently have about 45 legitimately owned shinies from various methods) though what I do from time to time is shinify X number of pokemon and wonder trade them so other people can enjoy owning a shiny if they've never gotten one before.

Then on a technical note, I love powersaves for the whole ability of being able to backup your saves so if something goes wrong then you don't lose all of your hard work.
Anyone remember the B/W days when ANY shiny that was hacked in was frowned upon? Well I got that mentality drilled into me. So because of this Powersave at first really got me mad about being able to make something in minutes compared to spending the time and actually doing the work. To prevent fire flame war about the topic I call it something I wouldnt use and drop the topic.
i am highly considering getting a powersave because i agree it does take a while to build a team together and i have alot of other things i have to get on with also and i want to do competitive battling quite alot, can anyone tell me which powersave i should get and what its called? is it just a basic action replay powersave or should i get powersave pro? whats the difference between the two?