Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

[VGC] Latios for my VGC team
Just a quick question about latios, is it worth investing into bulk or is it best used with a 252/252 spread. I know latios isn't the best pokemon for VGC but it fits well in my team and it is one of my favorite pokemon
Ninetales iz rly cewl kthnxbye
Life Orb Timid Latios is the generic set you would want to run however scarf Latios is also an option. Latios won't be surviving any strong hits any time soon so it's best to just go for broke with an all out offensive set
[Insert signature here]
(May 15, 2015, 04:17 PM)Marcusube Wrote: Life Orb Timid Latios is the generic set you would want to run however scarf Latios is also an option. Latios won't be surviving any strong hits any time soon so it's best to just go for broke with an all out offensive set

Marc why u no at replay Kappa
(May 15, 2015, 04:17 PM)Marcusube Wrote: Life Orb Timid Latios is the generic set you would want to run however scarf Latios is also an option. Latios won't be surviving any strong hits any time soon so it's best to just go for broke with an all out offensive set

Thanks for the advice marc, I already have a scarfer for my team so this will be holding the life orb. I couldn't think of any reason to invest in bulk besides its rather good Spdef stat.
I agree that Latios is typically one of those Pokemon in which just the plain 4/252/252 EV spread is just about right. Latios has a fantastic base 110 speed so it can deal with the Musketeer Trio, Infernape, base 100 Pokemon, etc. it can even run a Choice Scarf set to outspeed standard Adamant Landorus-T and Modest Thundurus-T (arguably two of the most common scarfers). Another thing to note is Latios has access to Tailwind which can allow Latios to run a bulkier spread so that's a viable option.
(May 15, 2015, 04:19 PM)podfighterninja123 Wrote:

Marc why u no at replay Kappa

I'm team testing for VGC and OU Singles on Showdown at this time
[Insert signature here]
(May 15, 2015, 06:38 PM)naitre Wrote:
(May 15, 2015, 06:01 PM)Black117 Wrote: Another thing to note is Latios has access to Tailwind which can allow Latios to run a bulkier spread so that's a viable option.

Yep, bulky Latios isn't horrible or impossible, but it isn't always necessary either because of its offensive abilities. It really depends on its role on the team and the nature of the team, like anything else. If bulky Latios is something you're set on doing, you can make it work.

honestly, bulky latios is next to useless since latias can play the bulky roll ridiculously better
(May 15, 2015, 08:25 PM)MARSxVenom Wrote:
(May 15, 2015, 06:01 PM)Black117 Wrote: Another thing to note is Latios has access to Tailwind which can allow Latios to run a bulkier spread so that's a viable option.

Yep, bulky Latios isn't horrible or impossible, but it isn't always necessary either because of its offensive abilities. It really depends on its role on the team and the nature of the team, like anything else. If bulky Latios is something you're set on doing, you can make it work.

honestly, bulky latios is next to useless since latias can play the bulky roll ridiculously better

Not sure why you asked if you say it's useless ahaha. It's not however. If you can dump some bulk into it, it's worth it no matter how little. While I have used other builds, this is my most used latios set: 60 HP / 252 SPA / 196 SPE. It lets us to continue to outspeed things like max speed jolly garchomp while keeping our strong attacking stat. The HP is important because we get to survive choice scarf hydreigon's dark pulse/dragon pulse while giving us a chance to not be OHKO'd by scarf bulky chomp. It also takes a max spa shadow ball from focus sash gengar. Not to mention it does slide us out of some minor 2HKO situations, now making them 3HKO. Like sludge bomb mega venusar

Always add bulk when you can. 60 HP doesn't look like anything big, but it has saved me multiple games. It's not like Latios is common, so you don't need max speed timid to speed tie with other latios users when choice scarf hydreigon/bulky chomp/mega venusaur/the other uncounted choices are much more common. You could even lose some spa for more bulk if you wish, I've done it on certain teams. This is just my favorite as I said.
50 thousand people used to live here...Now it's a ghost town.
(May 15, 2015, 10:11 PM)Rogue Wrote:
(May 15, 2015, 08:25 PM)MARSxVenom Wrote:

Not sure why you asked if you say it's useless ahaha. It's not however. If you can dump some bulk into it, it's worth it no matter how little. While I have used other builds, this is my most used latios set: 60 HP / 252 SPA / 196 SPE. It lets us to continue to outspeed things like max speed jolly garchomp while keeping our strong attacking stat. The HP is important because we get to survive choice scarf hydreigon's dark pulse/dragon pulse while giving us a chance to not be OHKO'd by scarf bulky chomp. It also takes a max spa shadow ball from focus sash gengar. Not to mention it does slide us out of some minor 2HKO situations, now making them 3HKO. Like sludge bomb mega venusar

Always add bulk when you can. 60 HP doesn't look like anything big, but it has saved me multiple games. It's not like Latios is common, so you don't need max speed timid to speed tie with other latios users when choice scarf hydreigon/bulky chomp/mega venusaur/the other uncounted choices are much more common. You could even lose some spa for more bulk if you wish, I've done it on certain teams. This is just my favorite as I said.

I was looking for more of an attacking latios with bulk than a bulky latios (in my head there is a difference lol). Thanks for this spread, I'm definitely gonna snag this and use it
I've used for a few days a SashLatios and it worked.. well i had a issue with Terrakion and M-Venusaur and instead of using a Scarf Gardevoir i've decided to try Latios.

Latios @ Focus Sash
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psychic (because Psyshock doesn't have a 100% chance to OHKO Terrakion without a Life Orb)
- Ice Beam (OHKO on Land-T, M-Mence, Garchomp)
- Tailwind
- Reflect (i was switching between Reflect and Protect in the last days, but Draco Meteor, Helping Hand, Thunder Wave/Icy Wind and Energy Ball are all viable if the team needs any of these. )

252 SpA Latios Psychic vs. 252 HP / 52 SpD Mega Venusaur: 128-152 (68.4 - 81.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Latios Psychic vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Terrakion: 168-200 (100.5 - 119.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Latios Ice Beam vs. 52 HP / 0 SpD Hydreigon: 112-134 (64.3 - 77%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Latios Ice Beam vs. 230 HP / 60+ SpD Thundurus: 106-126 (57.9 - 68.8%) -- 68% chance to 2HKO after Sitrus Berry recovery

252 SpA Thundurus Hidden Power Ice vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Latios: 62-74 (40 - 47.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
76 SpA Mega Venusaur Sludge Bomb vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Latios: 58-70 (37.4 - 45.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ Atk Bisharp Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Latios through Reflect: 116-139 (74.8 - 89.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Parental Bond Mega Kangaskhan Double-Edge vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Latios through Reflect: 119-142 (76.7 - 91.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO