Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

[REQUEST] Need a hand on completing my Doubles TR Team
Hello, you guys! This is the first time I'm making a doubles team so, right now, I'm bashing my head continuously on the wall because I just ran out of ideas on how to improve it. There will be a tournament in my city, Doubles VGC rules, just a local tournament, nothing big, but this will be my first entry on a doubles tournament, and I decided to build a TR doubles team. Both are new things to me, and I wanted to try them once. Thing is I'm stubborn and instead of quitting, I decided to call for help, so here we are. Here's my sketch team so far.

Dusclops @ Eviolite
Ability: Pressure
Nature: Sassy
EVs: 252HP/160DEF/96SPE
Moves:
Trick Room
Will-o-Wisp
Night Shade
Disable

I needed a tank, a really slow tank, so, I decided to ask a friend of mine on his opinion, he passed this set to me. I was never the Dusclops kind of guy, but this set really got my attention, so I decided to give it a test drive. It amazed, this thing can take a real good series of punishment and keep standing. I decided to put it as my set-up guy due to the fact I haven't seen anything OHKO this guy up until now. After setting up, I can start pestering my opp either by burning or disbling their Pokémon. And, if needed, I can deliver the final blow with a well placed Night Shade.

Conkeldurr @ Flame Orb
Ability: Guts
Nature: Brave
EVs: 160HP/252ATK/96SpD
Moves:
Hammer Arm
Protect
Stone Edge
Knock Off

Conkeldurr is one I chose after doing some analysis. It's slow and packs quite a punch. i know it's defensive stats aren't quite good, but I am willing to make things work out in the end. It would be a starter as well. Protect to, well, protect it during the first turn, making the flame orb activate as well as a Trick Room by Dusclops up there, then, it starts punching. Knock off to take out some potentially dangerous held items, as well as to damage the pestering psychic and ghost pokémon. Hammer Arm is to make it quite faster in TR, as well as a good STAB, combined with guts, it can do a serious amount of damage and since Trick Room teams can stack a Dark-type weakness very easily I thought it would be necessary. Stone Edge is to cover for flying types only, so I'm open to options.

Cresselia @ Mental herb
Ability: Levitate
Nature: Relaxed
EV's: 236 HP / 204 Def / 68 SpD
Trick room
Psychic
Ice beam
Moonlight

Cresselia came quite unexpected. I needed something that could be used as another wall, since Dusclops can withstand quite a lot, but it's not immortal. I searched for some information, and the idea of Cresselia came up. Can set up another TR, and it's guaranteed with the Mental Herb at least once. And with Moonlight I could make it last a little longer and pester around the opp some more. Psychic was also the obvious choice due to it's STAB. I had the idea, but lacked the perfect Cresselia for it, so I have to say thanks to Aether for this one. You made my vision come true. :D

For now this is all I can give to you. I have this sketch, and ran out of ideas. Since my friends and my girlfriend are entering the tournament too, I decided to go outside for help. I needed some good old fashioned advice and, if you guys can give a tip or two about doubles strategies I'd happy to hear. Again, thanks guys, really appreciate any help I can get!
I think you should only have one pokemon that has trick room
That's the thing, I really thought about it, but what if one goes down and there's no more TR support? As I said, i'm new to this kind of strategy, so I thought it would be a good one to have a back up plan. But if it's only one, which you think I should let go?
A slow Mega might be worth it. Camerupt is the most common under TR, but Abomasnow, Ampharos, Steelix, Blastoise or Mawile also work. None of these share weaknesses with your two TR users so they can switch in more easily once TR is up.
-sandragon13
Be sure to check out my Otaru Regional Fakedex.  Updating regularly with new Fakemon.  Always looking for feedback!
I was thinking about a slow Mega as well, my thoughts came to Steelix and Mawile. Mawile would be my first choice as a Mega, due to it's Fairy typing. In a certain strategy this can come quite in handy. Any moveset ideas? Or just go with the old fashioned Adamant nature, mega-evolution, and kick the other guy as hard as you can?
(Sep 17, 2015, 06:59 PM)westmai Wrote: I was thinking about a slow Mega as well, my thoughts came to Steelix and Mawile. Mawile would be my first choice as a Mega, due to it's Fairy typing. In a certain strategy this can come quite in handy. Any moveset ideas? Or just go with the old fashioned Adamant nature, mega-evolution, and kick the other guy as hard as you can?

Basically that's the idea, tried and true. Mawile also has the advantage of offering good Priority in Sucker Punch, which is valuable even outside of TR, and handily dispatches the Ghosts looking to attack your TR setters. Play Rough and Iron Head are givens too, fourth slot goes to Protect because Doubles and allows you to safely Mega. Make sure your Mawile is Intimidate pre-Mega, but watch out for Bisharp, Milotic and other Defiant/Competitive users.
-sandragon13
Be sure to check out my Otaru Regional Fakedex.  Updating regularly with new Fakemon.  Always looking for feedback!
I recommend using a Rhyperior on this team. It can basically soak up Physical hits, and then, with Weakness Policy, do a ton of damage back to your opponent.
Rhyperior would be nice too, putting a defensive moveset could perhaps help me out to keep on my two feet. Alright, any ideas for a last one or any changes on the ones I wrote about, guys?
I would say replace Stone Edge with Rock Slide. The flinch chance is always helpful, and it hits both opponents, which is always nice.
man TR is a waste if you put it on two pokemon. i say that get dusclops to have another of one his own gimmicks and let cresselia do the deed.