Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

[SMOGON] Komala Moveset - Tank (Spinner)
Disclaimer: Due to Komala lacking the stats to deal with the much bigger meta, like Tapus and popular megas, Komala will have calcs and milestones based off the newer UU and RU tiers. Once the tiers settle down a bit and Komala finds a more definitive home in the tiers, I'll change up the calcs and everything to fit it's tier. With that out of the way, let's see what this Koala bear has in store.

Komala

[Image: Komala.full.2013206.jpg]
Credit to Aonik

Type: Normal
Weaknesses: Fighting (x2)
Resistances: Ghost (x0)

Ability: Comatose: It acts as if it is affected by the Sleep status condition. All special effects of moves based on the Sleep status condition affect this Pokémon. This Pokémon can still attack.

Stats: 65 HP / 115 Attack / 65 Defense / 75 S[ecial Attack / 95 Special Defense / 65 Speed

Look at Komala, it's so cute! Not only is Komala such a cute bear, it has a lot of potential competitively. Komala has an average movepool with diversity, the power to spin hazards away, and the ability to absorb any status condition. Also, Komala has very nice stats, with it's Attack and Special Defense pointing out. With all this information present, let's see what's this Koala can do with it's neat ol' log.

Assault Vest (Spinner)
[Image: 775.png]

Komala @ Assault Vest
Ability: Comatose
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Return
- Earthquake
- Rapid Spin
- Sucker Punch/U-Turn

Milestones:
  • Makes Modest LO Nidoking cry
  • Puts Vikavolt's 145 Special Attack Stat to shame
  • Eats up and beats down what Alolan Ninetales has to offer
  • Tanks a Draco from Drampa

This set takes advantage of Komala's alright HP, great Special Defense and somewhat deep movepool and add an Assault Vest to take any special attack. While on paper it seems more sensible to put EV's into Defense instead of Special Defense, calcs against physical attackers are still 2HKO's from hard hitters like Entei and Araquanid. With this knowledge, why not just put all of those investments into Special Defense and call it a day? Since we have these kinds of investments plus the Assault Vest, this makes Komala an annoyance for special attackers since they do very little to the sleepy koala.

Diving into what Komala can use, it's movepool is no joke. Return is a 102 BP STAB (Assuming you're max happiness), pretty much one of it's best STAB moves, making it necessary for dealing out a nice hefty amount of damage. Rock and Steel Types may very easily take a Return, but this is where Earthquake comes into play with it's 100 BP, allowing to hit hard. Rapid Spin is the staple of this set, while it's not so great damage wise, it definitely gets the job done when getting rid of hazards. Sucker Punch not only deals with the Ghost types which aren't affected by Return, it also allows for a form of priority, which can be really handy if you want to snatch a quick KO if you know the opponent is attacking. If you want to give more support to your wallbreakers instead of priority, a slow U-Turn from Komala gives a nice alternative to help the team more.

Komala's ability, Comatose, is also something that stands out for it, other than the fact that Komala is the only Pokemon with this ability. The run down of how this ability works is that it acts like a status absorber and can't get affected by any sort of status move, like Spore, Thunder Wave, and Toxic. This allows for Komala to come in on an incoming status move to keep other Pokemon from getting crippled. This ability also ignores the ability of Toxic Spikes, allowing you to switch into something that can try to hit you with a special move and then Rapid Spin those hazards away. Do keep in mind that status users that are also physical attackers, like Breloom, can give Komala a run for it's money.

Offensive Calcs

Can't really hit bulky mons for great damage, but it can hit more squishy targets for good damage
  • 4 Atk Komala Earthquake vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Chandelure: 134-158 (51.1 - 60.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
  • 4 Atk Komala Return vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Ninetales-Alola: 157-186 (54.5 - 64.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
  • 4 Atk Komala Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Alakazam: 214-252 (85.2 - 100.3%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO

Defensive Calcs

• 252+ SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Nidoking Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Komala: 103-122 (30.8 - 36.5%) -- 60.5% chance to 3HKO
  • 252 SpA Life Orb Ninetales-Alola Blizzard vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Komala: 86-101 (25.7 - 30.2%) -- 2% chance to 3HKO after hail damage
  • 252+ SpA Life Orb Vikavolt Bug Buzz vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Komala: 113-134 (33.8 - 40.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
  • 252+ SpA Life Orb Drampa Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Komala: 156-185 (46.7 - 55.3%) -- 69.5% chance to 2HKO
  • 252+ SpA Life Orb Adaptability Dragalge Sludge Wave vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Komala: 122-146 (36.5 - 43.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Potential Teammates include, but aren't limited to:
  • Fighting Type Checks/Counters - Komala's only weakness is fighting, and it's highly recommended to get a check or counter for this since Komala doesn't have much recovery with this set.
  • Physical Tanks/Walls - Because of the lack of defense Komala has, it'll need a partner that can cover and tank what Komala can't really live.
  • Wish Passers - Komala doesn't have a direct way of recovery, so Wish passing can work.
  • Clefable/Togekiss - Fighting Type Check, can be a physical tank and has the ability to pass Wish all in one mon.
  • Jellicent - Immune to Fighting Type attacks, gets Will-o-wisp, has good physical bulk and can also switch into Komala if predicting incoming Ghost Type attacks.

Potential Threats include, but aren't limited to:
  • Knock Off Users - Machamp, Donphan, Sableye and so on can get rid of Komala's AV, which is crucial for Komala to live Special Attacks.
  • Physical Attackers - As said before, Komala doesn't appreciate any sort of damage from any physical attacker.
  • Psyshock Users - A special type move that hits for physical defense, which Komala doesn't really have much of.
  • Fighting Types - Simple, 2x STAB damage hits hard, regardless if it's physical or special. Also, many Fighting Types also run Knock Off, like Machamp and Heracross.

Other Potential Sets:
  • Choice Band Physical Attacker with Play Rough or Wood Hammer; Planned on showing off this set, but the 2nd time I got around to making this thread again I got lazy + Komala doesn't take as many hits well
  • Wish Komala with Leftovers and U-Turn; Great for status absorbing and Wish passing, but doesn't live as many hits as before
  • Calm Mind or Swords Dance Shenanigans(?); Don't really recommend this one competitively
I'm just here.

#RowletBois
@"Elly" is that you
@GingerxPug Great write up! Keep up the good work! Also I would slash Sucker Punch with U-Turn since it gives a slow U-Turn to support wallbreakers and it's pretty good in my experience. you are my hero

@Black117 Most likely
(Jan 22, 2017, 02:04 PM)Elly Wrote: I would slash Sucker Punch with U-Turn since it gives a slow U-Turn to support wallbreakers and it's pretty good in my experience.
Noted and added!
I'm just here.

#RowletBois
I hate everything don't tag me @naitre
RIP Miranda Cosgrove 1975-2017