Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

[SUN/MOON] [Spoiler] How to optain the shiny charm in Sun/Moon
To optain the shiny charm you simply have to complete the Alola Dex and not the National dex.
*sigh* Nintendo just put a third layer onto ruining S/M for me :/
You can find me on YouTube, Steam, and Twitter if you need to
If they remove chain fishing next I'm gonna literally lose it, there's already no pokeradar/dexnav/horde hunting, but really??????? What's the point of completing the national dex then???? Will there even BE a national dex???? wtf
Found a shiny? Talk about it here!!
"Omg ikr, I'm so upset that gamefreak made it easier to get Shiny Pokemon. It even upsets me that they put the shiny charm for Alolan dex and NOT the National Dex hence I'm not encouraged to complete the national dex because the shiny charm is my sole reason for catching them all. @"Squeab" please tell Gamefreak to stop making bad decisions" *wipes away tear*
(Nov 11, 2016, 08:13 PM)Marcusube Wrote: "Omg ikr, I'm so upset that gamefreak made it easier to get Shiny Pokemon. It even upsets me that they put the shiny charm for Alolan dex and NOT the National Dex hence I'm not encouraged to complete the national dex because the shiny charm is my sole reason for catching them all. @"Squeab" please tell Gamefreak to stop making bad decisions" *wipes away tear*
ikr tell them @"Squeab"
"When you think you're from the ghetto but your girl is into fishes."
(Nov 11, 2016, 06:30 PM)wundrweapon Wrote: *sigh* Nintendo just put a third layer onto ruining S/M for me :/

2 Questions

1) What's exactly ruining S&M for you

2) Why are you complaining about getting the Shiny Charm must faster and less stressfully Huh
I'm just here.

#RowletBois
Except that it's not exactly easier to hunt shinies, just getting the charm. From what's been said they took out horde hunting, pokeradar/dex nav (as well as all legendaries/UBs/tapus being shiny locked), and so far we only have one possible method of shiny hunting, which doesn't seem too bad, like an easier version of pokeradar, just PP consuming. I haven't even seen anything hinting that we can even fish either, but I doubt they'd remove that?? Hopefully not, I love chain fishing.

I completed the national dex back in 2014 in XY but the whole idea of possibly having no national dex in sun and moon is crazy (even if S/M doesn't have a national dex and it's later patched in with the pokebank update it means they were either testing the waters with the concept or keeping people from moving them in-game so soon). I know it's supposed to be this new concept that breaks the mold of old pokemon games when it comes to having no gyms, you creating the elite four, and having a nursery instead of a daycare. I'm fine with that, but where's the satisfaction of completing the national dex in game? Of pulling resources and working together with other people across the nation and even the world to complete something as gigantic and time consuming as the national dex, and then get such an awesome reward like the shiny charm?

I don't mind the shiny charm being obtained easier now, I would have LOVED that concept back in 2014 (especially since I catch every pokemon in an area before I move on), it would have made my life a whole lot easier, but what could possibly be a better reward than that when it comes to catching ALL pokemon? Yes, it is satisfying to simply go through and complete the national dex, but the sole reason I completed the national dex WAS for the shiny charm. If I could have gotten it in XY and ORAS by simply completing the regional dexes I would have never bothered getting pokebank, replaying old games, or using online forums to complete the national dex, and I would have never met any of the online friends I have now in the pokemon community.

I was hoping for more from S/M, maybe even region hopping via the terminal from the demo, and maybe that'll be DLC or something one day (which would be AWESOME), but after the leaks and the datamining I'm left a little underimpressed. The graphics are awesome, the music is awesome, the ability to change clothes again is awesome, but I feel like the storyline and characters are very typical of pokemon (and even a bit rushed), which is something they could have definitely changed since they're changing everything else. I love shiny hunting still, but knowing that I have rather limited options to find shinies is :/
(Nov 11, 2016, 09:44 PM)Confide Wrote: Except that it's not exactly easier to hunt shinies, just getting the charm. From what's been said they took out horde hunting, pokeradar/dex nav (as well as all legendaries/UBs/tapus being shiny locked), and so far we only have one possible method of shiny hunting, which doesn't seem too bad, like an easier version of pokeradar, just PP consuming. I haven't even seen anything hinting that we can even fish either, but I doubt they'd remove that?? Hopefully not, I love chain fishing.

I completed the national dex back in 2014 in XY but the whole idea of possibly having no national dex in sun and moon is crazy (even if S/M doesn't have a national dex and it's later patched in with the pokebank update it means they were either testing the waters with the concept or keeping people from moving them in-game so soon). I know it's supposed to be this new concept that breaks the mold of old pokemon games when it comes to having no gyms, you creating the elite four, and having a nursery instead of a daycare. I'm fine with that, but where's the satisfaction of completing the national dex in game? Of pulling resources and working together with other people across the nation and even the world to complete something as gigantic and time consuming as the national dex, and then get such an awesome reward like the shiny charm?

I don't mind the shiny charm being obtained easier now, I would have LOVED that concept back in 2014 (especially since I catch every pokemon in an area before I move on), it would have made my life a whole lot easier, but what could possibly be a better reward than that when it comes to catching ALL pokemon? Yes, it is satisfying to simply go through and complete the national dex, but the sole reason I completed the national dex WAS for the shiny charm. If I could have gotten it in XY and ORAS by simply completing the regional dexes I would have never bothered getting pokebank, replaying old games, or using online forums to complete the national dex, and I would have never met any of the online friends I have now in the pokemon community.

I was hoping for more from S/M, maybe even region hopping via the terminal from the demo, and maybe that'll be DLC or something one day (which would be AWESOME), but after the leaks and the datamining I'm left a little underimpressed. The graphics are awesome, the music is awesome, the ability to change clothes again is awesome, but I feel like the storyline and characters are very typical of pokemon (and even a bit rushed), which is something they could have definitely changed since they're changing everything else. I love shiny hunting still, but knowing that I have rather limited options to find shinies is :/

Agree with alot of these points it feels like a huge slap across the face to basically be handed this concept that is " oh not its cool remember the countless hours you put into catching every single nationally known pokemon just throw all of that out its time for a new gen" with the kicker on top of it being way easier to obtain a shiny charm 

but i do have my theories 

I think they want everyone to focus on the next gen and play it with next gen pokemon
which is good i want to get a good understanding of all the new mon/moves/zmoves/competitive strats/etc .
you still have to catch the entire alolan dex which is still a feat 
to which i say bring it on it will give me a good understanding of the game its layout and everything else it has to offer (hopefully)
and catching less than half of a living dex sounds like a breeze 
they havent yet released all of the information about the next gen alot of the roms you see people playing are not the full game just very close to it 
so who knows what that means is still up in the air maybe the took away alot of the old shiny hunting methods that allowed better odds? or maybe they came out with an equal amount of new ways to shiny hunt?
maybe they created some evolved form of fishing like deep sea fishing/or an advanced diving mechanism that would be pretty rad 
maybe they wanted to make hunting shiny pokemon more difficult i dont know man?
im almost 100 % sure they will have GTS or something similar for people only getting one version of S/M

but i feel like given the recent generations (X&Y) and (ORAS)
we have seen without a doubt the best pokemon games we have ever seen 
In My Humble Opinion

either way i highly respect your opinion 
and hope this makes you a little more optomistic for the next gen
as opposed to worry what the future holds 

i also worry that they will destroy shiny hunting from what we've seen  :s

but i wont let them destroy my hopes for what shiny hunting will become in the next gen  Cool :D

and as always 
may the shiny odds be ever in your favor
Check out my Shiny Journal to share you own shiny adventures 
and see my new shiny pokemon!
Does anyone know what hunting methods there are in Sun and Moon? If we have to do it with just random encounters, then that's going to make me do less shiny hunting
@JackMat98 right now the only method we know of is having a wild pokemon call in an ally, the allies have an increased chance of being shiny and having good IVs. Apparently there's also an item that increases the chance a pokemon will call in an ally as well.