Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

[TUTORIAL] Breeding without a 6 IV Ditto - What Ditto's actually matter?
[Image: ditto.png]
What Ditto actually matter?
If you are someone who doesn’t use a 6 IV Ditto or doesn’t have access to one I recommend reading this guide to better understand the mechanics behind how to breed within an egg group. After you figure out that breeding with a 6 IV Ditto isn’t the only effective method of breeding you may wonder why even breed with Ditto. This guide will go over the potential Dittos you may still want to consider using.

Natured Dittos
Still overall the best way to add a nature to your Pokemon is to breed with a Ditto with the nature you want (holding an everstone). Overall there are 25 natures in Pokemon, however you will only need to worry about 18 of them. The 18 natures you need are:

Adamant
Bold
Brave
Calm
Careful
Hasty
Impish
Jolly
Lonely
Mild
Modest
Naive
Naughty
Quiet
Rash
Relaxed
Sassy
Timid

You could argue that you don’t need Brave, Quiet, Relaxed, or Sassy if you are not interested in building a Trick Room team lowering the total to 14 but that choice is yours. If you want to learn to catch specific natures only I highly recommend checking Gvng guide about using synchronize.

30 IV stat Ditto
First off a brief explanation about how Hidden Power is calculated, a Pokemon's Hidden Power is determined by it’s 6 IV stats (HP, Attack, Defense, Special Attack, Special Defense, Speed) more specifically if they are even or odd. 31 is the highest odd stat you can have while 30 is highest even stat you can have. If your interested in figuring out which IV’s you need for a specific Hidden Power I highly recommend Naitre guide. With the introduction of the PC IV Judge in Sun and Moon figuring out if a Pokemon has a 30 IV in a stat is easier than ever. If a Pokemon’s stat is listed as “Fantastic” it is 30. It’s that simple, so if you followed my other guide you should have an understanding about how to transfer over specific IV’s to different Pokemon. So you should have:

A Ditto with 30 HP IV
A Ditto with 30 Attack IV
A Ditto with 30 Defense IV
A Ditto with 30 Special Attack IV
A Ditto with 30 Special Defense IV
A Ditto with 30 Speed IV

Hidden Power breeding isn’t much harder than breeding a 5 IV Egg Group Parent just replace the 31 IV stat with the 30 IV stat it needs. Often time the Attack stat just has to be even or odd and not 31 or 30 due to the fact that most Hidden Power users are Special Attackers. If you are breeding a Mixed Attacker with a Hidden Power I ether recommend not caring about the stat you are lowering (Defense or Special Defense in this cause) or using Bottle Caps because they are superficial.

A 0 IV Ditto 
0 Speed is only used for Trick Room Pokemon or Pokemon you want to attack last (Aegislash as an example). You should only need a 0 Speed IV Ditto if you are planning on breeding one of these. Most of the time if you are using a nature that negatively impacts Speed you will be breeding for 0 Speed. Again similar to 30 IV stats Sun and Moon made it easier to view 0 IV stats. When using the IV Judge Speed will be listed as “No Good”. This is a guaranteed 0 IV.
I should also note having a 0 Attack IV Ditto is also viable. If you are building a Special Attacking set that is highly susceptible to Foul Play or you want to minimize the risk of the damage 0 Attack can be very helpful. Also it helps minimize damage from confusion. I will note however that I highly recommend using a Bottle Cap. Not for the Attack IV obviously but in whatever stat you needed perfect that isn't, but again following this guide breeding for 5 IV’s is much easier than 6 IV’s.

A 4 IV Ditto
Though again I recommend breeding within egg groups, sometimes it is easier to breed a 5 IV Pokemon with a  4 IV Ditto due to the Pokemon being mostly male or only being able to breed with Ditto. You can get away only having one 4 IV Ditto having Attack perfect but not Special Attack and one 4 IV Ditto having Special Attack perfect but not Attack and by always breeding it with a Pokemon that has the complementary missing stat (EXP. 31/31/31/x/31/x with a x/x/x/x/x/31). The reason I say 4 IV Ditto is because Sun and Moon made getting a 4 IV Ditto easy. To do this on Route 10 run around until you find a Ditto and then get atleast an S.O.S. Chain of 30 at this point you are guaranteed at least a 4 IV Ditto. Easy guide on how to do that

A Ditto from a different region
Assuming your are playing in English you will need a Ditto from a different region. You can tell if a Pokemon is from a different region from there summary. If there is a box in the top right corner of the top screen the Pokemon is from a different region. If you are interested in breeding for Shiny Pokemon a different region Pokemon is a most. You don’t need it to have good IV’s however due to the Bottle Caps feature. If you are very serious into breeding for Shiny Pokemon and don’t want to use a 6 IV Ditto or don’t have access to one you can start any 3DS Pokemon game (XY, ORAS, Sun and Moon) and switch it to a different region (by picking a different language) and completing the game up to the daycare or nursery and follow my Egg Group Breeding Guide. Yes this sucks and will take time but if you want it badly enough you will do it.

This concludes my guide for why you should still use Ditto for breeding just not for IV’s for the most part. Ask a question if you need help understanding something or please let me know if I made a mistake.
Nice job! Keep up the good work!
Your guides are soo useful keep them coming @Kidakairis they are great  :D
Another solid breeding guide, great job!
Just a fossil from the days of olde.
Sword and Shield Trades
Good stuff.  :D
@"Elly" 
@Gvng 
@Hojunhu
@Haruna
Thank you all very much I'm glad you enjoyed it