Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

[VGC] Ending Reigns of the Ginis: Thudy + Lando Counters???
So the title says it all, i do have a team of five and need some pokemon (1 slot) to counter this duo, i was thinking duo guard hitmontop and even ludicolo was suggested to me but however it couldn't work counting in the t-wave +swaggers and fast nature of ludi. so are there really some individual mons to counter this lead better than that? *psst i am using the core rouge suggested around mega gallade and it's a team around it* Hope u guys are able to help Smile Bye!
Well, Ice type attacks do very well against them. Another thing is Trick Room. Also, I made a rain team that does pretty well against it because, turn 2, we have an unharmed (probably) Ludicolo and an unharmed (still probably) Mega Swampert both under Rain.
I'm am going to be that guy and say there is "no" 100% counter to beat the genies core (thundurus + Landorus-T) or say any particular Pokemon since you have to take into account many variable like their partners, movesets, Ev spreads, etc. Yes there are "checks" ( really don't like the term "Counter" being thrown out everywhere) to the double genie like say Gastrodon, Milotic (Scarf), Mamoswine, Mega Abomasnow, Trick Room, etc. To be honest, the only archetype that fairs well with these two are Trick Room and Rain to a small extend however your opponent wouldn't want to bring their genies anyways in those matchups.

The best way to beat the Double Genie core is honestly to beat them individually without having to face both at the same time. If they are separate, they can be far easier to manage, provided Thundurus doesn't paralysis or swagger your team members and gets a bit "lucky". Trick Room is probably the best way to beat the genies, if they do happen to bring them so just have a Pokemon who can reliably setup Trick Room and deal with the double genies or their partners quickly. Cresselia comes to mind since she can take some of their hits pretty well, including Landorus-T 's U-turn or Knock Off.

....oh and bring Ice moves on hand.
I suppose Mega Abomasnow under Trick Room with a Helping Hand boost will quickly rid both Genies, and do tons of damage to anything if they switch out.
Yeah, there is no 1 singles Pokemon that can beat these 2. Only some things that can kind of give you a better chance. Trick room is probably your best bet, but you'll have to run mental herb so you don't get taunted lol.
50 thousand people used to live here...Now it's a ghost town.
I did test out Aurorus to counter double genie with Refrigerate Hyper Voice and Snow Warning + Blizzard and it worked in THAT situation. As Kiev said, the genies are usually backed up by a team that can effectively deal with what threatens it so there is no hard counter, its only possible to check the lead.
[Insert signature here]
If you only have one slot, your best bet is one between Gastrodon and Swampert. They are both immune to TWave (and TBolt) and they resist Rock Slides (thanks to their Ground typing), while they can OHKO Lando-T (not the Assault Vest variant) with Ice Beam or get a 2-3HKO on Thundurus (depending on its bulk and item).
I know it's kind of slow but maybe Cloyster as a Landorus counter

252+ Atk Choice Band Landorus-T Superpower vs. 196 HP / 108+ Def Cloyster: 124-148 (82.6 - 98.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
-1 0 Atk Cloyster Icicle Spear (5 hits) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Landorus-T: 140-200 (71.4 - 102%) -- approx. 6.3% chance to OHKO
-1 156 Atk Cloyster Icicle Spear (5 hits) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Yache Berry Landorus-T: 90-120 (45.9 - 61.2%) -- approx. 88.7% chance to 2HKO
Rotom-w
#TeamForum

My favorite, an absolute wall for both thundy, landy, and heatran. Storm drain is a great wall to the ever popular politoed, milotic and suicune.

Gastrodon @ Expert Belt
Ability: Storm Drain
Level: 50
EVs: 180 HP / 108 Def / 216 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Spe / 0 Atk
- Earth Power
- Scald
- Ice beam
- Protect

offensive
216+ SpA Expert Belt Gastrodon Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-T: 480-566 (150.4 - 177.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
216+ SpA Expert Belt Gastrodon Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Thundurus: 240-283 (80.2 - 94.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
216+ SpA Expert Belt Gastrodon Earth Power vs. 180 HP / 0 SpD Shuca Berry Heatran: 283-334 (76.9 - 90.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
216+ SpA Expert Belt Gastrodon Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Mega Salamence: 336-398 (85.2 - 101%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO
216+ SpA Expert Belt Gastrodon Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Aegislash-Shield: 161-190 (49.6 - 58.6%) -- 60.9% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

defensive
252 Atk Parental Bond Mega Kangaskhan Return vs. 180 HP / 108 Def Gastrodon: 289-342 (70.8 - 83.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Gastro's bulk gives it good survivability, and storm drain gives potentially recovery if paired with surf. Can OHKO most VGC threats if running offence, however if against a more (unusual) defensive set [e.g max HP/SpD M-salamence, Shuca-Tran, Max HP/SpD shield aegi] it can still pick up the 2HKO. Its abysmal speed also gives it fantastic potential in trick room.