Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

[VGC] Final Tweaks on First VGC2015 Team (EDITED)
I did the research, I tested it on Showdown, I searched high and low for the Pokémon I needed on my game... and now... here I am.

Enough of the dramatics. So I've built, what I feel, is an incredibly solid team. After playing some matches on Battle Spot though, I do notice some possible shortcomings. First off, my team lacks diversity against spread moves. Thundurus and Salamence are weak to Rock Slide and Icy Wind, Bisharp and Heatran are weak to Earthquake. It can make choosing four for a battle a little troublesome, because I'm wary of pairing certain Pokémon together. I have noticed, however, that those shortcomings can be compensated if I play smart. Still, if there's a Pokémon I should switch out for something else, please make a suggestion.

EDIT: I swapped out Heatran for Smeargle.

[Image: Mega%2BSalamence.png]
Salamence @ Salamencite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Double-Edge
- Protect

Salamence is pure power. Normally, putting 252 into two stats doesn't turn out well in VGC, but here it does. Protect is self-explanatory as it allows me to use it when Salamence mega evolves to ensure the speed increase. Double-Edge is the attack of choice, as it completely decimates just about anything in it's path. Even with the recoil damage, the damage output is worth it. Dragon Claw for STAB and Earthquake for spread damage wraps up this set.

[Image: thundurus_v_2_by_xous54-d38w12n.png]
Thundurus (M) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 192 HP / 76 SpA / 220 SpD / 20 Spe
Calm Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Taunt
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power Ice

Thundurus is running (flying?) rampant this year. One of the best Taunt users in the game, Thundurus is able to shut down numerous Pokémon, allowing me to avoid tough situations like Dark Void, Spore, Trick Room, Thunder Wave, Swagger, and many more. Thunderbolt and Hidden Power Ice provide decent coverage and Thunder Wave slows down some of the faster Pokémon that could potentially cause problems for slower Pokémon on my team like Sylveon. The one thing this move set lacks however is Protect, which is something Thundurus could benefit from seeing as how opponent's tend to gang up on him before he causes too much trouble.

[Image: 250px-235Smeargle.png]
Smeargle @ Focus sash
Ability: Moody
EVs: 96 HP/120 Def/40 SpD/252 Spe
Timid Nature
Moves:
- Dark Void
- Follow Me
- Fake out
- Spiky shield

Love him or hate him, Smeargle is one of the best support Pokémon in VGC. Dark Void can stop an opponent's momentum, or even prevent it altogether. Follow Me allows Pokémon like Mega Salamence or Sylveon to deal massive damage without fear of being targeted. Fake Out for the flinch and Spiky Shield for physical attackers that target Smeargle. Smeargle can be partnered with any Pokémon on my team, making it extremely versatile.

[Image: nymphali___sylveon__by_yonaka_pinku-d6ienzx.png]
Sylveon @ Choice Specs
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 170 HP / 252 SpA / 86 SpD
Modest Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Shadow Ball
- Psyshock
- Hyper Beam

Choice Specs Hyper Voice is the only thing that matters when it comes to Sylveon. Not many things can withstand it, and the Pokémon that do still take a lot of damage. Sylveon needs to be careful, however, due to it's low speed and it doesn't take physical attacks very well. Thankfully, Thundurus' Thunder Wave provides some support and as long as I bring Sylveon out at the right time, it's bulky enough to withstand an attack or two.

[Image: bisharp_by_xous54-d3grmb2.png]
Bisharp @ Life Orb
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head
- Knock Off
- Protect

Bisharp can be used as one of my leads, or be brought in late game to pick off weakened Pokémon with Sucker Punch and take down walls. Cresselia doesn't appreciate a STAB boosted Knock Off, Iron Head is nice against other Sylveon, and Protect is used to scout or troll my opponents when I know they're going to attack Bisharp.

[Image: milotic.jpg]
Milotic @ Assault Vest
Ability: Competitive
EVs: 252 HP / 28 Def / 160 SpA / 64 SpD / 4 Spe
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Icy Wind
- Dragon Tail

With the amount of Intimidate users in VGC, Milotic fits in nicely. The free +2 boost to my special attack, along with it's bulk, makes Milotic a threat when it's on the field. Scald and Ice Beam are the main movies here, but Icy Wind can be used for spread damage while slowing down both of my opponent's Pokémon. Dragon Tail is used solely for supports. Forces out unfavorable match-ups and stops Pokémon from setting up.
What about Will-O-Wisp instead of Toxic/Flash Cannon on Heatran? Would help with your EQ problem as well.
(Jan 9, 2015, 11:05 PM)Hojunhu Wrote: What about Will-O-Wisp instead of Toxic/Flash Cannon on Heatran? Would help with your EQ problem as well.

I like the theory behind Will-O-Wisp. My only issue though is that Heatran is relatively slow, meaning he'll be KO'd by EQ before it can get the burn off. That's why I've thought about running Air Balloon on him instead of Leftovers.
(Jan 10, 2015, 06:52 AM)DanielJames Wrote: I like the theory behind Will-O-Wisp. My only issue though is that Heatran is relatively slow, meaning he'll be KO'd by EQ before it can get the burn off. That's why I've thought about running Air Balloon on him instead of Leftovers.

Air Balloon is a great item for Heatran. I say give that a try for a few Battlespot matches.
Switched out Heatran for Smeargle. Wanted to try another support Pokémon. Follow Me allows Mega Salamence and Sylveon to be hyper offensive without worrying about being KO'd.
I know the reasoning behind putting smeargle on the team but have you considering adding the sejun park pachirisu? Granted it won't have dark void but it's a bit bulkier then smeargle, and smeargle is weak to fighting which is fairly common in the meta right now with conk kang and lopunny running rampant. Granted so is eq but you can always airballoon pachirisu
(Jan 11, 2015, 06:06 PM)Vexian Wrote: I know the reasoning behind putting smeargle on the team but have you considering adding the sejun park pachirisu? Granted it won't have dark void but it's a bit bulkier then smeargle, and smeargle is weak to fighting which is fairly common in the meta right now with conk kang and lopunny running rampant. Granted so is eq but you can always airballoon pachirisu

That's actually a good idea. I just need to get my hands on a Pachirisu to try it out. One disadvantage to Pachirisu though is that my opponent is going to see Follow Me coming a million miles away while Smeargle can keep my opponent guessing as to whether I'll use Dark Void or Spiky Shield over Follow Me. It's definitely worth trying out though.

Anyone have a Pachirisu?
Draco Meteor over Dragon Claw for Salamence and Blizzard instead of Ice Beam for Milotic, that's what I would do at least. Nice team IMO.
[Insert signature here]
(Jan 11, 2015, 07:02 PM)Marcusube Wrote: Draco Meteor over Dragon Claw for Salamence and Blizzard instead of Ice Beam for Milotic, that's what I would do at least. Nice team IMO.

Dragon claw is fine because that is a physical mence not special. And doesn't blizzard have something like a 70% accuracy unless it's in hail?
(Jan 11, 2015, 07:02 PM)Marcusube Wrote: Draco Meteor over Dragon Claw for Salamence and Blizzard instead of Ice Beam for Milotic, that's what I would do at least. Nice team IMO.

(Jan 11, 2015, 07:37 PM)Vexian Wrote:

Dragon claw is fine because that is a physical mence not special. And doesn't blizzard have something like a 70% accuracy unless it's in hail?

I agree with Vexian, Draco Meteor wouldn't be as effective since I'm running a physical set. I am, however, interested in breeding a Timid one in which I would run Draco Meteor. Also, I'd rather take Ice Beam's consistency over Blizzard's shaky accuracy.

I'm thinking about taking Milotic out for Conkeldurr so I can deal with Mega Kangaskhan. Having no Fighting-type moves on my team leaves Kangaskhan wide open to wreak havoc against my team.