Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

[VGC] How to build a VGC team
Hey guys I've been seeing a lot of people submitting rate my teams in the forums. I usually go on to help people and start them off but I continue to see the same mistake. I always comment "stay away from the 252/252/4 spread!!!" Now in no way shape or form am I saying it is bad or that people who use this is bad, but VGC is more fast pace and needs more strategy than singles. Now the 252/252/4 spread is good for pokemon such as Bisharp or Terrakion who usually carry a focus sash and are guaranteed to live at least 1 turn or naturally bulky pokemon such as Mega Kang who has gained a lot of popularity with this spread. None of the less here are some steps on how to build a good VGC team.

Step 1 Find a Mega: Every team should have at least 1 Megalution on it. Not saying it is required but it is HIGHLY recommended. For instance if you want to use Mega Charizard Y than you need to build a team around the sun or rock types. Simply put just pick a Mega and build around it.

Step 2 Cover your weaknesses: Going back to Mega Charizard, you already have an extreme weakness to rock types. A good counter to this is Venusaur (not Mega). Venasaur gets chlorophyll which doubles its speed in the sun, but now you have a weakness to Talonflame, how about a pokemon with Quick Guard? Keep going with that and you'll get eventually build a team.

Also use this site to help find weaknesses and suggestions within your team: http://www.teammagma.net/teambuilder/

Step 3 EV spreads: I can not stress this enough!!!!! Stop using 252/252/4 guys!!! It works in singles and with pokemon that rely on focus sash such as Bisharp, but not a lot else. It may work in singles but in singles you have a lot less to worry about such as double attacking and spread moves. I build my sets by finding the most popular pokemon and its move and find a way to live it. Like for instance, a Heatran with 126 special Defense and Calm can live a Scald from Greninja.

Calc: 252 SpA Life Orb Greninja Scald vs. 0 HP / 126+ SpD Heatran: 117-140 (70.4 - 84.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Step 4 Use Protect: This one is pretty obvious and self explanatory.

Step 5 Use the pokemon YOU want: By all means this doesnt mean you cant use a pokemon like Dedenne or Muk who arent really in the VGC meta. Use pokemon that you want to use because all that matters is you. This doesnt mean that you'll be unstoppable at VGC but you can catch people off guard. There have been a lot of times where I personally have lost due to curiosity or underestimation.

I hope this helps guys now go out there and play some pokemon!!! :D
"Oh good, he isn't mod anymore"

-Everyone

plug
Really awesome guide, you always deliver!! I'd recomend even though when adding pokemon it's important that it checks the other's weaknesses remember about not to add a diferent weakness to the team. Always try to have it well rounded. Also the moves is something people might want to watch out. Use a variety of moves not just every pokemon with rock slide or not all of of them having substitute etc. Remember variety of move pools to cover the most of weaknesses. Great job and good luck to everyone building their team!!!
Short story: Use 6 garchomps/Landorus and you should be good.
(Mar 13, 2015, 03:32 PM)IceyGamer Wrote: Short story: Use 6 garchomps/Landorus and you should be good.

your plan < ice KappaHD tjfRekt
"Oh good, he isn't mod anymore"

-Everyone

plug
(Mar 13, 2015, 07:32 PM)MudkipLegend Wrote:
(Mar 13, 2015, 03:32 PM)IceyGamer Wrote: Short story: Use 6 garchomps/Landorus and you should be good.

your plan < ice KappaHD tjfRekt

Icey's plan promise of never failing>A good team