Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

[VGC] I know there are some tweaks I can make...
So I've been tweaking my team after every 5-10 battles on Battle Spot. Here is my current team. Let me know what changes you'd make. Any feedback is appreciated.

Terrakion @ Life Orb
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Rock Slide
- Quick Guard
- Protect

Usually one of my leads, along with either Suicune or Gengar. Quick Guard for those pesky Fake Out/Prankster/Priority users and Protect for scouting/mind games. Rock Slide is my main attack, while Close Combat is good at dealing with M-Kangaskhan, Bisharp, and Heatran. While I was originally running Focus Sash, I put Gengar on my team and decided that he benefited from it a little more so now I'm running Life Orb instead.

Suicune @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 100 Def / 100 SpA / 52 SpD / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Protect
- Tailwind

Rocky Helmet on Suicune should not be overlooked. It has put me at an advantage numerous times, especially against M-Kangaskhan. While Suicune doesn't hit very hard, Scald and Ice Beam are still useful. Tailwind is used for speed control.

Thundurus (M) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 192 HP / 76 SpA / 220 SpD / 20 Spe
Calm Nature
- Taunt
- Thunder Wave
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]

My Prankster Pokémon. Taunt to derail status and other non-attacking moves, Thunder Wave for speed control, Thunderbolt for STAB, and Hidden Power Ice to give Thundurus some coverage.

Venusaur @ Venusaurite
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 HP / 124 Def / 76 SpA / 52 SpD / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Leech Seed
- Protect

Venusaur is a tank. I borrowed the EV spread and move set from CybertronVGC. Leech Seed turned out to be more useful than I thought it would, especially if my opponent and I were down to our last Pokémon and neither of us had an advantage over the other. Leech Seed would chip away at their health while healing me.

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Heat Wave
- Earth Power
- Substitute
- Protect

I'd like to run a Modest Heatran, but I don't have a Modest one. I have a Calm one, so I have to make due. Heatran is a tank though, just like Venusaur. Heat Wave for spread damage and Earth Power for coverage. Substitute to avoid Thunder Wave and attacks and Protect to get some health back from Leftovers.

Gengar @ Focus Sash
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Bomb
- Taunt
- Will-O-Wisp

Gengar fills a couple rolls. A back-up Taunt user who is able to cripple physical attackers. I was going to have him run Icy Wind, but I already have some speed control with Thundurus and Suicune.
This team looks solid in my books considering it's has a good Grass-Fire-Water core here. Of course some of this core borrows from Cybertron so I won't discuss Pokemon changes but I will nitpick some things I notice.

1) Even if this is the only Heatran at your disposal, I don't agree with using a fully specially defensive varient in VGC. Try tweaking out the evs here and there such as adding special attack or maybe a bit to defense. Use benchmarks water attacks from Suicune, Rotom-W, and Gastrodon to see how Heatran would take it. Now  this all depends whether you want to keep using Calm Heatran or eventually opt for another with a different nature.

2) Consider adding a bit of physical bulk to Thundurus-I since it won't last long against heavy hitters like Mega Kang, Mega Metagross, Terrakion, Landorus-T, etc. Though the Sitrus Berry might help prevent Thundurus from one shoted, they'll do around about 70% at least with the appropriate attack. Try adding about 100 Def from the 220 SpD to gives  Thundurus-I a good chance to take two Rock Slides from Landorus-T. Here's a set I have:

Thundurus @ Sitrus Berry
Level: 50
EVs: 252 HP / 108 Def / 128 SpD / 20 Spe
Calm Nature
– Thunderbolt
– Hidden Power [Ice]
– Taunt
– Thunder Wave

I figured Thundurus's main purpose is to stay in the battlefield as long as possible to paralysis everything it can any prevent setup with Taunt. This isn't meant to be a special attacker but one of the main support mons.

3) Swap Protect for either Reflect/Snarl from Suicune

If this team weren't as bulky,  Suicune can amplify the overall bulk with either Snarl or Reflect. It's all depends on which side of the coin you want: physical bulk or special bulk. Honesty if it were up to me, I'd pick Reflect since the VGC metagame is still largely physically based and it's an unorthodox option people won't see coming. Granted that most of your Pokemon are already defensive as hell, the team will be able to take physical attacks much better against the likes of Mega Kang or Landorus-T.
Heatran would become more of a threat with more SpA ev's. Good team btw!
#TeamForum

(Mar 17, 2015, 08:39 PM)Black117 Wrote: This team looks solid in my books considering it's has a good Grass-Fire-Water core here. Of course some of this core borrows from Cybertron so I won't discuss Pokemon changes but I will nitpick some things I notice.

1) Even if this is the only Heatran at your disposal, I don't agree with using a fully specially defensive varient in VGC. Try tweaking out the evs here and there such as adding special attack or maybe a bit to defense. Use benchmarks water attacks from Suicune, Rotom-W, and Gastrodon to see how Heatran would take it. Now  this all depends whether you want to keep using Calm Heatran or eventually opt for another with a different nature.

2) Consider adding a bit of physical bulk to Thundurus-I since it won't last long against heavy hitters like Mega Kang, Mega Metagross, Terrakion, Landorus-T, etc. Though the Sitrus Berry might help prevent Thundurus from one shoted, they'll do around about 70% at least with the appropriate attack. Try adding about 100 Def from the 220 SpD to gives  Thundurus-I a good chance to take two Rock Slides from Landorus-T. Here's a set I have:

Thundurus @ Sitrus Berry
Level: 50
EVs: 252 HP / 108 Def / 128 SpD / 20 Spe
Calm Nature
– Thunderbolt
– Hidden Power [Ice]
– Taunt
– Thunder Wave

I figured Thundurus's main purpose is to stay in the battlefield as long as possible to paralysis everything it can any prevent setup with Taunt. This isn't meant to be a special attacker but one of the main support mons.

3) Swap Protect for either Reflect/Snarl from Suicune

If this team weren't as bulky,  Suicune can amplify the overall bulk with either Snarl or Reflect. It's all depends on which side of the coin you want: physical bulk or special bulk. Honesty if it were up to me, I'd pick Reflect since the VGC metagame is still largely physically based and it's an unorthodox option people won't see coming. Granted that most of your Pokemon are already defensive as hell, the team will be able to take physical attacks much better against the likes of Mega Kang or Landorus-T.

Thanks for all the feedback! I agree with everything you're saying. I really like that Thundurus build. I have a reset bag so I'll start with him first. I need to find a Powersaver and have them change my Heatran's nature. I've just been dealing with the build I currently have because I've been too lazy to change it, but how he is right now makes him the weakest link on my team.

Good thinking on running Reflect on Suicune. I run Protect because opponents will sometimes try to double up on Suicune since most don't run Protect. It's a nice move that tricks my opponent will my other Pokémon on the field is free to attack. I'll try it though. Sounds like a good idea!

(Mar 18, 2015, 04:13 AM)tygaa2 Wrote: Heatran would become more of a threat with more SpA ev's. Good team btw!

Thanks! And yeah, I definitely need to re-do Heatran's build. Ideally, I'd like to find someone to Powersave it's nature for me, but Calm is my second choice. I'm bad at running calc's so I'll have to do some research and see just how many EVs to put in SpAtk.
I ran some calcs (first time doing it) for Heatran. I figured some common threats would be M-Kangaskhan, Rotom-W, and Suicune.
The new EV spread I came up with is 152 HP/220 SpAtk/132 SpDef with a Calm nature. Let me know if I'm overlooking something or if there's a better EV spread.

252+ Atk Parental Bond Mega Kangaskhan Power-Up Punch vs. 152 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 135-159 (37.3 - 44%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
136 SpA Rotom-W Hydro Pump vs. 152 HP / 132+ SpD Heatran: 216-254 (59.8 - 70.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Suicune Hydro Pump vs. 152 HP / 132+ SpD Heatran: 236-278 (65.3 - 77%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery