Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

[REQUEST] Early process team building
At the moment I am mid-process building my first competitive team (VGC) in many Pokemon games, trying to get it ironed out before I move on to testing it in game. In building this team I spent allot of time walking through top played pokemon on http://3ds.pokemon-gl.com/battle/oras/#double and asking myself "why should I use this?" and "If I don't run this what pokemon/moves would deal with this?"

Klefki @ Light Clay
Ability: Prankster
Level: 50
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Thunder Wave
- Foul Play

Thought: I really want o make this a part of my team, the priority screens or thunder wave can give an advantage over quite a few leads.

Garchomp @ Focus Sash
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 5 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
IVs: 0 SpA
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Fire Fang

Thoughts: I am really not sure of the item to run on garchomp, heard choice specs/scarf and focus sash as options. I have also thought of landorus to replace garchomp but 1) I don't used hacked pokemon 2) It seems more squishy.

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 240 HP / 188 Def / 80 SpD
Calm Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Charge Beam
- Will-O-Wisp
- Confuse Ray

Thought: This is a Pokemon I despise in many ways but for dealing with some meta pokemon it simply has no equal that I know of.

Amoonguss @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Bold Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Giga Drain
- Spore
- Synthesis

Thought: One of my hit takers as well as a general status effect setter. There are options such as breloom instead but I am unsure.

Greninja @ Expert Belt
Ability: Protean
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Ice Beam
- Grass Knot
- Shadow Sneak

Thoughts: I really threw this in to cover some missing dmg types as well as quickly kill threatening dragon types.

Talonflame @ Life Orb
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
IVs: 0 SpA
- Brave Bird
- Tailwind
- U-turn
- Flare Blitz

Thoughts: I am unsure of the hold item (ties in with what garchomp's will be) as well as if I should keep u-turn or go protect.

To Sum It Up I am willing to change anything with this team but just need feedback/ideas from others to help take this to competitive testing.
To give you somewhere to start, I would lose the Focus Sash from Talonflame. Brave Bird and Flare Blitz both deal recoil damage, which would render your Focus Sash unusable. Talonflame outspeeds many things (especially its priority Brave Bird) so there aren't many situations where it would need to take a hit with an intact Focus Sash before it breaks the Sash itself. Maybe consider a Life Orb to boost your attacks in its place, but feel free to experiment.
-sandragon13
Be sure to check out my Otaru Regional Fakedex.  Updating regularly with new Fakemon.  Always looking for feedback!
(Aug 9, 2015, 04:49 PM)sandragon13 Wrote: To give you somewhere to start, I would lose the Focus Sash from Talonflame.  Brave Bird and Flare Blitz both deal recoil damage, which would render your Focus Sash unusable.  Talonflame outspeeds many things (especially its priority Brave Bird) so there aren't many situations where it would need to take a hit with an intact Focus Sash before it breaks the Sash itself.  Maybe consider a Life Orb to boost your attacks in its place, but feel free to experiment.
   -sandragon13

I was mostly thinking of rockslide and other super effective moves if I am swapping In, but I will definitely be doing the life orb (makes much more sense on talonflame rather than garchomp)
(Aug 9, 2015, 05:11 PM)Kehrenok4u2 Wrote:
(Aug 9, 2015, 04:49 PM)sandragon13 Wrote: To give you somewhere to start, I would lose the Focus Sash from Talonflame.  Brave Bird and Flare Blitz both deal recoil damage, which would render your Focus Sash unusable.  Talonflame outspeeds many things (especially its priority Brave Bird) so there aren't many situations where it would need to take a hit with an intact Focus Sash before it breaks the Sash itself.  Maybe consider a Life Orb to boost your attacks in its place, but feel free to experiment.
   -sandragon13

I was mostly thinking of rockslide and other super effective moves if I am swapping In, but I will definitely be doing the life orb (makes much more sense on talonflame rather than garchomp)

My thoughts exactly. Your Garchomp has four attacks, as opposed to your Talonflame which has 3 and Tailwind. Because it has Tailwind, I wouldn't saddle it with a Choice Band or Choice Scarf, lest you be locked into Tailwind. Conversely, the Garchomp has four physical moves, so something like Choice Band, Choice Scarf, or even an Assault Vest might work more in your favor.

-sandragon13
Be sure to check out my Otaru Regional Fakedex.  Updating regularly with new Fakemon.  Always looking for feedback!
http://nuggetbridge.com/articles/differe...s-pokemon/

Some of these movesets over compensate on what you need each mon to do and also Protect is very absent on this team.
[Insert signature here]
(Aug 9, 2015, 05:56 PM)Marcusube Wrote: http://nuggetbridge.com/articles/differe...s-pokemon/

Some of these movesets over compensate on what you need each mon to do and also Protect is very absent on this team.

I can see an absence of protect, do you have any suggestions on the changes to make? My first thoughts are changing talonflame's u-turn for protect and giving one to garchomp. (also took my move sets mostly from the most used for each pokemon from http://3ds.pokemon-gl.com/battle/oras/#double

With amoongus spore/rotom-w wilo-wisp and confuse/ klefki thunderwave and dualscreens I feel like I cover enough bases to run less protect then normal but I am also brand new back into competitive and need guidance.
My two cents: When I build a team, I think about cool pokemon that I like and would be exciting to play, then go from there. Personally I'm not a big fan of playing with the genies or dogs, so I try to come up with a fun pokemon that can beat them instead. For example, I built a killer Kingler that does work against Landorus!

Good luck and enjoy!