Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

[VGC] Rhyperior Moveset - Physical Tank/Physical Attacker
When making EV spreads, a common mistake people make is dumping 252 EVs into HP. If the HP stat is already high, why invest so much into it? Spread them out into the defenses. Also more attack is needed on Rhyperior because relying on Weakness Policy will cost you wins. In the damage calcs, weigh Rhyperior against Pokemon in the format, particularly ones which this set is aimed at either surviving its hits or fainting. Protect is a must on Rhyperior. You can't be forcing a mon with this many weaknesses to have its guard down at any point in a match especially if its intended to be your offensive support in battle. Factor in things like Intimidate with your offensive calcs, especially Ice Punch against Salamence and Landorus-Therian.

(Aug 11, 2015, 12:54 PM)Delta Wrote: I maxed out Hp because it was just easy to do, and it gave considerable amounts of bulk. I cannot specifically remember why I invested that specific number into attack, but I did, and I ran Adamant to get the most out of my stats. I threw the rest into defense. Now, for some calculations. I should probably mention that most of these will be with the Weakness Policy boost. All of these are in doubles as well.

As you can see, without the Weakness Policy boost, Rhyperior doesn't hit for many OHKO's. But, you will see why I run Weakness Policy, and why Rhyperior is amazing.

Because he is weaker specially, a strong Shadow Ball can often bring him down low. Gengar is very good at this, because he is immune to Earthquake and Hammer Arm, and, if Rhyperior doesn't have a Weakness Policy, is not KO's by him.

A very fast Pokemon that can take care of Rhyperior's main threats like Talonflame and Mega Sceptile are good teammates for Rhyperior. Rhyperior is amazing under Trick Room, and a Pokemon like Cresselia that can set up Trick Room and has levitate would work well alongside Rhyperior. Alternatively, a Gardevoir with Trick Room and Telepathy also would work well with Rhyperior. Rhyperior has a a lower special defense, so an an Assault Vest Pokemon (or Goodra) could work well.

- Assault Vest
Rhyperior's Special Defense is low, and Assault Vest boosts Special Defense, plus we aren't using any attacking moves anyways.

- Protect
This move could work, but the whole point of this set is to be hit by a Supereffective attack, and then kill whatever hit you, and potentially do lots of damage to it's partner. Basically, the opponent hitting you with a physical attack becomes the worst thing they could do.

So from the first statement, I deduce that you never spent much time working out the technicalities behind the EV spread.

KOs Rhyperior can pick up without WP, it can't because of the EV spread, eg.

44+ Atk Rhyperior Rock Slide vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Thundurus: 128-152 (83.1 - 98.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
244+ Atk Rhyperior Rock Slide vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Thundurus: 150-176 (97.4 - 114.2%) -- 75% chance to OHKO

Just say that Rhyperior's mediocre special defense means that it won't be taking special attacks very well. Even mention the ever so common Hyper Voice M-Gardevoir/Sylveon.

"Is not KO's by him" Que?

Other things threaten Rhyperior. Fighting types, bulky Pokemon (outside of the common water/grass types), Knock Off (because that cancels out Weakness Policy) and Pokemon that carry status moves primarily Will-o-Wisp and Charm.

"Rhyperior has a a lower special defense, so an an Assault Vest Pokemon (or Goodra) could work well." I'm lost as to what this statement is implying. Can you expand on it please?

"we aren't using any attacking moves anyways" B-b-but the set has.... ._.

I get the idea is to take a super effective hit then destroy the opponent, however, what if there is a situation where there is a Pokemon Rhyperior needs to beat, however, something that counters Rhyperior is also on the field. In the event you can KO Rhyperior's counter but you move after the counter, that basically means that Rhyperior, your win condition, would faint and you lose the match. All I'm saying is for a Pokemon with this many weaknesses, Protect is a must for baiting attacks and then on those baits you out-predict your opponent
[Insert signature here]

Messages In This Thread
RE: [VGC] Rhyperior Moveset- Physical Tank/Physical Attacker - by Marcusube - Aug 11, 2015, 09:20 PM