Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

[SUN/MOON] Competitive Discussion & Speculation
So everyone's excited for Sun and Moon. We're all excited to see what new Pokemon it brings to the table, even though we all know none of them can be as great as Popplio. We also all love to speculate. What types will the starters be? What importance do the legendaries have? Why is that jelly fish also that lady? How did they make Professor Oak even MORE attractive? All of these questions will all be answered upon release. But here's one question I haven't seen asked here very much.

How will this game impact the meta game?

Now whether you play VGC or Smogon isn't important. This thread is for looking at the new Pokemon, abilities, moves, etc. and speculating at how they'll impact competitive play. For the sake of not being redundant, don't say "well with the right move set and stats," be more specific. Tell us what kind of moves or stats you'd like to see that Pokemon get, and how that makes it viable. I will start with someone you probably forgot about.

[Image: pyukumuku.png]

What? That little... whatever it is? Why would we talk about him?

Please save your questions until the end of the lecture thank you.

This, is Pyukumuku. He's a pure Water type, super original typing I know. In a game, where Water is already the most prominent type, what exactly could this, as @naitre calls him, little marshmallow bunny do to set himself apart? I'll tell you what. Absolutely nothing.

Uh, hello? How can a Pokemon do nothing and be any good? Why did they even mod this guys, he's crazy!

While yes, I'll admit to being crazy, this is not a result of my insanity. Let me tell you about Pyukumuku's GODLIKE ability, Innards Out. To quote the official Pokemon website,

"Pyukumuku has a new Ability, Innards Out, which no other Pokémon has had before. With the Innards Out Ability, when this Pokémon faints, it will be able to deal one last bit of damage to its opponent, equal to the amount of HP it had left before it received the final blow."

[Image: 7L8n3w5.gif]

Do you understand now? Switching this Pokemon in on any attack that would kill him, will so severe damage and very likely KO the opponent. If you don't want to risk taking a lot of damage when knocking this Pokemon out, you have to take your time and play carefully. But, while you're doing that, Pyukumuku is still hurting you. Do you understand how stupid this is? You can't run the risk of using a Grass or Electric move against your opponents team if they have a Pyukumuku. They could read it, switch in, and kill your Pokemon. It's silly.

Now there are downsides. Clearly you're wasting a slot on your team, but for a free and BENEFICIAL switch in. But there's also the possibility of him having a low base HP star, or super high defenses. If he had either of these, his ability would be useless. You'd be dealing very little when you're KO'd. An optimal Pyukumuku would run High HP investments, with a defense hindering nature, and 0 ivs in both defense stats. This is all assuming he doesn't have crazy good attack. It's all up in the air, but as it is now, I believe that Pyukumuku will actually be banned in Smogon.

What do you think? Post about your favorite Gen 7 Pokemon and how you think they'll impact the meta.
RIP Miranda Cosgrove 1975-2017

Messages In This Thread
Competitive Discussion & Speculation - by Reed - Sep 13, 2016, 09:59 AM
RE: Competitive Speculation - by Justin - Sep 13, 2016, 10:24 AM
RE: Competitive Speculation - by Eckley - Sep 13, 2016, 10:37 AM
RE: Competitive Speculation - by w2gMk - Sep 13, 2016, 11:02 AM
RE: Competitive Speculation - by Rogue - Sep 13, 2016, 07:38 PM
RE: Competitive Discussion & Speculation - by w2gMk - Sep 14, 2016, 10:03 AM
RE: Competitive Discussion & Speculation - by GiMYz - Sep 20, 2016, 10:22 PM
RE: Competitive Discussion & Speculation - by Vohras - Sep 24, 2016, 02:31 PM
RE: Competitive Discussion & Speculation - by Reed - Sep 24, 2016, 02:45 PM
RE: Competitive Discussion & Speculation - by Vohras - Sep 24, 2016, 02:53 PM