Poll: How optimistic you feel about Competitive Pokemon for Generation 7
Very
Somewhat
Not Sure
[Show Results]

Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

[DISCUSSION] Getting Into Competitive
Thanks @Rogue and @Black117 for reaching out to the community. I am definitely not good at battling but I want to get better. I'm not looking for a title belt (why doesn't Pokemon have a title belt?) but I am definitely interested to grow and learn in the competitive scene.

1. I don't really know how I found out about competitive mons, I think I was watching some vids of people playing Pokken (totally off topic but it looks fun tbh) and when I searched a little bit into it I found that the main series games are where the larger comptetitive crowd is at. That was when I picked up a 3ds for the first time, I rejoined the Pokemon scene during the last stretch of Gen 6 this year. Aside from that, I haven't actually played since RBY/GSC, so I went into it totally blind.

2. The reason I play competitive Pokemon? Well I really don't so much. I get on Battle Spot whenever, but I'm not on showdown. Summer '16 I hovered in the 1300-1400 range on Battle Spot, which I think means I'm generally at, or below, average. I watched a few Poke-Streamers for a little while before hopping onto Battle Spot in an attempt to learn from them but I never planned to be the very best. Just want to be good enough to have some fun.

3. I get team building alright I suppose. By that I mean, I can build a team based on type advantage/disadvantage to some extent, I can make sure I have coverage on all my mon's moves. Maybe that's not the way to go about it, maybe I need more speed control or weather shenanigans. Not sure what to do with that stuff to be honest. RNG management is an unknown to me, I can see why the calcs all make sense but I'm not comfortable with the numbers to really figure it out while team building. In battle I just use strong moves for neutral damage or better, and hope for the best. That's something I could definitely improve on.

4. I think I answered this? idk.

5.Not sure what to do to make competitive accessible to me. I think if I get onto Showdown it'll be a step in the right direction. 

6. I've seen some of the European swiss matches that started up this week. I'm hopeful in the fact that literally everybody is still learning the new metagame. That means I'm nearly on a level playing field, since not everything has been tested out yet. Of course I'm still very much a newbie to competitive Pokemon so I have a long way to go before I'll be proficient at it.

I'm tagging @"Elly" because you're another competitive mod and you can't stop me from tagging you.
Can you h*ck me a Ditto?

Messages In This Thread
Getting Into Competitive - by Black117 - Dec 10, 2016, 01:46 AM
RE: Getting Into Competitive - by Marcusube - Dec 10, 2016, 05:15 AM
RE: Getting Into Competitive - by Vinnie - Dec 10, 2016, 07:30 AM
RE: Getting Into Competitive - by croissant - Dec 10, 2016, 09:24 PM
RE: Getting Into Competitive - by Black117 - Dec 10, 2016, 09:25 PM
RE: Getting Into Competitive - by yugiohtrav12 - Dec 10, 2016, 09:29 PM
RE: Getting Into Competitive - by GingerxPug - Dec 10, 2016, 11:15 PM
RE: Getting Into Competitive - by hyunwoo0124 - Dec 10, 2016, 11:44 PM
RE: Getting Into Competitive - by Chawizawd - Dec 11, 2016, 01:49 AM
RE: Getting Into Competitive - by Neffi - Dec 11, 2016, 04:30 AM