Poll: How optimistic you feel about Competitive Pokemon for Generation 7
Very
Somewhat
Not Sure
[Show Results]

Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

[DISCUSSION] Getting Into Competitive
I honestly wouldn't mind cooking up some sample teams over the Christmas for VGC'17 and S&M Prebank OU since I've been playing those two a lot lately. I'll admit that competitive is the hardest part of Pokemon to get into as it entails you having to know a few damage rolls, common sets and base stats off your head while playing as well as a lot of teambuilding and testing which kinda takes the casual feeling out of Pokemon. It's still very fun though!

To be fair, what makes losing better than winning in a competitive scene is that little thing called motivation. If you win 10 battles in a row with a team on Showdown and get to the 1500s then I'm pretty sure you're going to stop playing whereas if you had lost 10 in a row then you'd be more compelled to keep trying (unless RNGesus smiteth thee). Losing is motivation to keep trying until you win and it guides you into making you know what to do. Never be afraid to fail because the most successful people in life were at one point the biggest failures but they worked past their failures to become what they are today

Pretty much every game in life comes down to one big factor, LUCK. Even a game like chess requires luck. If you don't call your opponent being blind to your win condition luck, then I don't have much to say about luck. Pokemon's RNG (especially on Showdown) is the worst thing I've seen since spoiled bread. It literally comes down to a point where I KNOW when that full para will kick in or when that Rock Slide will flinch me. The game always seems to screw you over when you have the upper hand

One thing I must say though is that VGC'17 is day by day grabbing my attention more than Smogon. Thanks to the introduction of a new dex as well as a more restricted format which forces us to use the new mons, I am pleased to say that VGC'17 looks bright this year. Meanwhile, Smogon is going to throw a fit and have a ban fest due to all the broken mons that just got released

Lastly, there are pros and cons to playing on either Showdown or 3DS. Showdown makes teambuilding a lot easier as you don't have to go through the whole process of breeding everything (sometimes from scratch) and have the team come out bad in the end which ultimately wastes your time. Showdown is also good for getting more matchups on a day to day basis as battles move a lot faster. Also Showdown shows the stats of the opposing team so remembering them becomes less of an issue. 3DS is better for training for VGC in my opinion. The biggest problem with Showdown is that since it is so easy to teambuild, it is also as easy to get matched up with more troll players instead of good ones to really help you get an understanding of the metagame
[Insert signature here]
Weeeeeell time to search through my thought drain for this...

1. How were you introduced or known about Competitive Mons? Was it reviewing online sites like Smogon, NB, Serebii, etc? Was is a certain "Poketuber" or someone / thing IRL who told you about this?

I first started playing pokemon (the game not comp) on a gameboy advance when i was 12, 9 years ago. It was fire red, I then got sapphire. When I just started high school when I was 14, I had picked up a copy of white. No internet accessibility however. (probably could have, but alas, didn't know how routers worked, am but a poor boy) I liked white so much, the battle train was really really noice. And thats when I started getting introduced to competitive. I wanted to crush the everlasting goo out of the battle train, so I looked on teh youtubes and found people like Jwittz, and Verlisify, and from verlis' old collaborations Alex Ogloza, and that one guy with the hair and pizza and stuff, and learned about EV training, and natures, and I bred pokemon on white. I never bred for IV's at this time however. Invisible numbers? Who has time for that. Eventually, just about 5 months from when ORAS dropped, I went to pokemon showdown from Verlis, cuz hey I wanna play pokemons maaan I didnt even have a 3ds/2ds, no DSi or whatever. I just had a millennium old DS lite, and from what I could tell, showdown was free. I then learned how to play mons from there. I mostly spent my time playing NU for like, 3 years until I got rekt by nu room mawds, and now I lurk in the anime room. Thanks based gawd verlis. To this day, when i see some of the first teams I made, I cri.

2. What's the main reason why you play Competitive Pokemon in general? Basically the endgame goal aside "be the very best". If you don't play competitive, can you explain so. (Here I won't judge too much in everyone's response to this, but will be noted).

I play to win. As most people do. However, I like to use things I wanna use. I wanna git gud, so gud no one can question if I'm not gud. Buuut I don't wanna git gud via Cresselia Heatran Amoongus Landorus Kangaskhan spam. Ew. 100% ew. I'll just take my alomomola and based god wigglytuff, and attempt to win with them instead.

3. Are there any areas you struggle with from Teambuilding, Theorymoning, Battling, Prediction v Rewards, RNG Management, or anything I didn't listed. Essentially to regards to the Competitive Pokemon itself.

Well 2 things.
    1: When I team build I build balance teams, which are set up sweeper, def wall, spd wall, SpA sweeper, Physical sweeper, whatever I need. If I don't use balance, its usually weather, which justn eeds to blow up everything. My problem with this however, is I go to a team builder, chose my sweeper, then build type wise from there. Building for meta's I have absolutely no idea how to do. There is no guide out there, there is no way I can find out myself without playing for 5 generations. If I'm using my scizor, I don't know that pokemon X will have hp fire 100% of the time, until I physically see it, in a battle, right in front of me. Never when I'm building. The extent of my meta knowledge is down to specific pokemon when I meet them in battle or in team preview. Not during my builds. This impacts theorymoning as well, I assume. If this sounds confusing, it probably is, I'm okay with explaining further.

2: I pretty much assume people are playing at the same mental level I am on, both higher players, and lower players. I usually play at level 2, which consists of knowing what my pokemon does, what my opponants pokemon does, and what their pokemon is likely to do. So I get destroyed a lot because gud players will see oh, he's predicting too much. And not so good players will take out my mons just because I expected them to do different. An example being me u-turning my darmanitan on a bisharp. (it had focus sash metal burst so i guess I'd be played either way lel) Another being me using sticky web galvantula, when they have an espeon. Instead of sticky webbing, I'll thunder, expecting an espeon switch, to no avail because they didnt switch :L. This absolutely ruins me on showdown's ladder, as low ladder players get the best of me because of this, and when I start getting out of low ladder, I've been playing to their level too long, and now I get ruined by people playing at higher levels.

One final thing that doesn't really fit in either of those 2 but I don't think is important enough to be listed as #3 though, is when I ask for help finishing up a team I made. If a team I make is bad, I ditch it immediately, so the only teams I ever have that I ask for help on are teams which I have made that are pretty decent, I have used a lot to quite a lot of success, but have a little problem that I don't know how to fix. It's usually with the pokemon that isn't essential to the team. I'd think asking for help in such a case from people better than me would be easy and simple but for some reason it never is. My team is solid, Its like Helms Deep from Lord of The Rings. All I need is the little hole in the wall replaced. However when I ask for help, the people that "help" end up literally destroying what makes my team, my team. They take out the glue that keeps it together, they replace the thing I use to protect my main sweeper for a thing that doesn't do anything productive. They take the burger out of my cheese burger, and turn it into chicken nuggets. :L

4. Kinda similar to Q2. Are they any issues concerning with Competitive not regarding actual battling itself (Skip if you want).

I don't like hax0ring. But everyone knows that by now. The end. GG no RE

One thing I would really really like is to see what people on GTS have put up for trade. I want to see the pokemon's summary. That way I can know for certain what I'm getting. Too long have I been giving up decent breedjects on gts for brave nature, non hidden ability, Jynx. It's a tad frustrating.

5. If there's one thing about competitive Pokemon that will make it "accessible", what its it?

More accessible battle information. On showdown, you got all the information you need. On ds, not so much. Remember hitting that pangoro to 50%hp 42 turns ago? Showdown does. Just hover over the pangoro to see. DS? Nope, you gotta remember that. Remember how your opponent had a zoroark on his team in the beginning? Showdown remembers. Even after 100 turns showdown remembers. DS? Nope. I got a youtuber I watch really good because of this, as he forgot I had a zoroark because there's no way of knowing 40 turns in unless you could remember. Flamethrower "alomomola" op.
    Sure, this makes the skill of the game a little lower, but here's the thing... the gods of the game are still going to be gods, regardless of whether or not they can physically see as much information or not. Not a fan of such an argument as good players already know and understand what's happening, with or without the extra info. It is selfish to want to deprive new players of such information, because you, a person who knows every damage calc in the game in every situation without having to even thing about it thinks it makes the game easy.More information will make the game much more accessible to new players, causing the whole community to get better, allowing more and more players to become better, which will help grow the community which I think is overall better than catering to the gods of the game. Ever start to play a game, just to find out the community is dead and only the best of the best who have ever been the best are the only people that still play it? This is how to stop that from happening.

6. Final Question: How optimistic you feel about Competitive Pokemon for Generation 7? Yes the poll, though people can just say their feeling about competitive for this gen. Obviously we are only 3 weeks in Gen 7, but like to ask still.

Right now I feel like this gen is going to be very fruitful. Althought UB's and Tapu's are everywhere, and are incredibly horrific to fight full teams of them as they are basically legendaries (a few of them are terrible though). Terrains are now usable or at least prevalent enough to be considered, more items are out there that do a lot of things to help counter old things (adamant orbs seem cool for special attackers and defiant users rip landorus maybe). I think I'm going to actually like OU this gen. Didn't like it at all last gen, it was basically stall or 6 mons that 1-2 shot literally everything that wasn't stall. My xp with it at least. Although as stated previously by marcus, smogon will probably destroy it so they can continue on with their talonchomps. I hope battlespot singles 6v6 will prove to be nice if this proves to be the case. I havent battled on sun/moon battlespot as of yet, but I hope they have 6v6 singles with restrictions. Nothing worse than having a nice vgc style team you want to paly in 6v6, just to find everyone you challange using 6 arceus :L

Sorry in advance for this autobiography of a post. I can't resist such opportunities to rant talk about things.
George R.R Martin wrote 2016 :L
                                                                        #LillieDefenseSquad

You don't look so well... how bout 50cc's of LINKS!?

1. How were you introduced or known about Competitive Mons? Was it reviewing online sites like Smogon, NB, Serebii, etc? Was is a certain "Poketuber" or someone / thing IRL who told you about this?
Just trial and error. Have a couple tutors that would essentially give me mons so I understood good movesets.
  1. What's the main reason why you play Competitive Pokemon in general? Basically the endgame goal aside "be the very best". If you don't play competitive, can you explain so. (Here I won't judge too much in everyone's response to this, but will be noted).
Well there's really only 2 things to do after you "catch em' all" battle or shiny hunt, so I did both.
  1. Are there any areas you struggle with from Teambuilding, Theorymoning, Battling, Prediction v Rewards, RNG Management, or anything I didn't listed. Essentially to regards to the Competitive Pokemon itself. 
I often don't know where to start when team building, which is mostly derived from my lack of wanting to study move pools and base stats.
  1. Kinda similar to Q2. Are they any issues concerning with Competitive not regarding actual battling itself (Skip if you want).
Rude people in the scene. People not standing up for each other. People still being friends with cowardly bullies when you know they're bad people. The point structure of VGC. Poor tournament tournout. Difficulty getting approved to hold tournaments from Pokemon. Rage quitting without punishment.
  1. If there's one thing about competitive Pokemon that will make it "accessible", what its it? 
Reduce in game team building time. (QR codes may help this, sort of).
  1. Final Question: How optimistic you feel about Competitive Pokemon for Generation 7? Yes the poll, though people can just say their feeling about competitive for this gen. Obviously we are only 3 weeks in Gen 7, but like to ask still. 
Looks pretty awesome so far, lots of powerful pokemon that don't have great synergy with each other, which seems to be diversifying teams at the moment. Not sure how things will be once pokebank opens.
Follow us on Twitter @_pokemonforever
Learn about us on our Welcome Page
Watch us play games on Twitch.tv

YouTubers and Pokemon YouTube channel were my first experience to VGC back in the XY era, before I never knew just how big it was and I just liked trading online since diamond and through link since RBY.
  1. What's the main reason why you play Competitive Pokemon in general? Basically the endgame goal aside "be the very best". If you don't play competitive, can you explain so. (Here I won't judge too much in everyone's response to this, but will be noted).
I personally don't think I am much of a competitive battler because I tend to use favorites over what's current in the meta which leads to gimmicks Smile. I do sometimes try to play Competitive BattleSpot singles though but always dislike using the same team over and over. I would like to play VGC but no matter how much I try I am just terrible at doubles and my teams tend to be one dimensional.
  1. Are there any areas you struggle with from Teambuilding, Theorymoning, Battling, Prediction v Rewards, RNG Management, or anything I didn't listed. Essentially to regards to the Competitive Pokemon itself. 
Team building and risk/reward have always been my main problems but I have gotten better over the last few years.
  1. Kinda similar to Q2. Are they any issues concerning with Competitive not regarding actual battling itself (Skip if you want).
Personally I just wish Pokemon took the Smogon route and separated the meta. Like have BattleSpot Little Cup, BattleSpot Heavies, BattleSpot NFE, or BattleSpot scrappy cup (the game type where the top 100 most used Pokemon couldn't be used). With Pokemon I have always felt like variety is better than one particular meta. Not saying we still couldn't have the current game types just wish we could have more Smile. Also I know Smogons done it but I like the speed of 3 on 3.
  1. If there's one thing about competitive Pokemon that will make it "accessible", what its it?
Like before I think just one central play style kinda puts people off. I know lots of people who like Pokemon but won't touch online because they can't use there favorites effectively or because every game type has legendaries etc. More game types would at least help this and I am glad to see player hosted events in SuMo.
  1. Final Question: How optimistic you feel about Competitive Pokemon for Generation 7? Yes the poll, though people can just say their feeling about competitive for this gen. Obviously we are only 3 weeks in Gen 7, but like to ask still. 
I think it will be the best year since I started watching VGC but hope it doesn't come down to everyone using the same handful of Pokemon again.

1. I started watching Pimpnite when I first started playing Pokemon. I thought I'd never get into competitive play myself, but here we are.
  2. What's the main reason why you play Competitive Pokemon in general? Basically the endgame goal aside "be the very best". If you don't play competitive, can you explain so. (Here I won't judge too much in everyone's response to this, but will be noted).
    1. It's just fun! I enjoy battling. I've gotten really good results with multiple teams, I love just testing things out and seeing how they work.
  3. Are there any areas you struggle with from Teambuilding, Theorymoning, Battling, Prediction v Rewards, RNG Management, or anything I didn't listed. Essentially to regards to the Competitive Pokemon itself. 
    1. I'd say making a balanced team myself. It's hard to balance out what I need for my team and Pokemon I like aesthetically, lol. I'd have to say that's my most fatal flaw.
  4. Kinda similar to Q2. Are they any issues concerning with Competitive not regarding actual battling itself (Skip if you want).
    1. just lowkey annoys me when people hack in legendaries and stuff. I don't care if u gen your pokemon, but six shiny hoopa c'mon man.
  5. If there's one thing about competitive Pokemon that will make it "accessible", what its it? 
    1. I'd like to see more in OU than legendaries, bc sometimes I use some lower ladder OU pokes who can't hold against a UB team or somewhat of the sort. I feel like legendary pokemon should have their own category and ranking system. (I know some legendaries are better than others, and some definitely see more light in competitive than others, but a legendary is a legendary.)
  6. Final Question: How optimistic you feel about Competitive Pokemon for Generation 7? Yes the poll, though people can just say their feeling about competitive for this gen. Obviously we are only 3 weeks in Gen 7, but like to ask still. 
    1. I'm loving gen 7 so far! The team I've built on Smogon has brought me alot of success, and I've started breeding it on the actual game. I'm still waiting to see where all the Pokemon I wanna use are going to be placed, but I do enjoy what I have and I have fun using it.
  • How were you introduced or known about Competitive Mons? Was it reviewing online sites like Smogon, NB, Serebii, etc? Was is a certain "Poketuber" or someone / thing IRL who told you about this?
It was the rise of M-Ray that got me into Competitive play. At the time I had no idea what Smogon even was, but when AG formed, I just had to know what this was all about.
  • What's the main reason why you play Competitive Pokemon in general? Basically the endgame goal aside "be the very best". If you don't play competitive, can you explain so. (Here I won't judge too much in everyone's response to this, but will be noted).
Analyze the metagame and see which mons stand out amongst all others, particularly in VGC. It's why I play Showdown more than anything, after all.
  • Are there any areas you struggle with from Teambuilding, Theorymoning, Battling, Prediction v Rewards, RNG Management, or anything I didn't listed. Essentially to regards to the CompetitivePokemon itself. 
I think I struggle with building a team that can win against most matchups and includes top-notch mons. Like, a 90% winrate team, not a 70% winrate team.  
  • Kinda similar to Q2. Are they any issues concerning with Competitive not regarding actual battling itself (Skip if you want).
Salty players that make up the majority of the community. Heck, even I'm to blame. I get hot-headed a lot when I'm on a losing streak and I say lots of things that I don't really mean to. (And I always change my team somehow after I do that every time.)
  • If there's one thing about competitive Pokemon that will make it "accessible", what is it? 
It's the variety. I personally think that there are a lot of team combinations that can take the worst mons and make them shine like Mega Diancie in Primal Groudon's Sun, and that's what I look for when it comes to my teams. 
  • Final Question: How optimistic you feel about Competitive Pokemon for Generation 7? Yes the poll, though people can just say their feeling about competitive for this gen. Obviously we are only 3 weeks months in Gen 7, but like to ask still. 
Personally, I wanted to select "somewhat" at first because of the plethora of sluggishly slow mons introduced in SM, but after seeing how they can combine well with the viable mons in past generations, my choice changed a lot afterwards. I chose "very".