Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

[RATE MY TEAM] Mega Pinsir Team VGC
Photo 
I made a Mega Pinsir team because I really like Mega Pinsir's design and wanted a team that wasn't standard. It's been fairing pretty good on Battle Spot after a multitude of battles but I'm unsure what would work best as the sixth pokemon. Also, there might be other changes I could make to improve this team. Just let me know.

Pinsir @ Pinsirite
Nature: Jolly
Ability: Hyper Cutter(Non-Mega)/Aerilate
EVs: 52 HP/ 188 Atk/ 28 Def/ 4 SpD/ 236 Spe
-Earthquake
-Protect
-Swords Dance
-Return

Set Details:
236 Speed EVs in tandem with a Jolly nature allow Pinsir to outspeed Jolly Garchomp and positive-nature base 100s. 52 HP EVs with 28 Defense EVs enable it to survive Jolly Garchomp's Rock Slide with one turn of Rough Skin damage or Adamant Mega Kangaskhan's Return. Furthermore, 52 HP / 4 SpD Pinsir survives a Fire Blast from Timid Salamence, and the remaining EVs are put into Attack for maximum offensive power. I either try to predict when I can switch Pinsir in or I wait till late game to let it finish up.

Scizor @ Life Orb
Nature: Adamant
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 HP/ 252 Atk/ 4 SpD
-Swords Dance
-Bullet Punch
-Knock Off
-Protect

Set Details:
Maximum Attack EVs with an Adamant nature maximize Scizor's damage output. Maximum HP EVs give Scizor more bulk; Speed investment isn't too necessary on Scizor, as it uses Bullet Punch most of the time.  Due to Scizor's natural bulk as well as its Steel typing, lead into many Pokemon with ease, such as Sylveon, Mega Kangaskhan, Mega Metagross, and Mega Venusaur. Scizor is my backup attacker because helps with dealing with Fairy types and can deal with Ice, Electric, and Flying types unlike Mega Pinsir.

Chansey @ Eviolite
Nature: Bold
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 4 HP/ 252 Def/ 252 SpD
-Counter
-Seismic Toss
-Thunder Wave
-Soft-Boiled

Set Details:
Chansey's main jobs are tanking hits and spreading status. Full investment in Special Defense maximizes Chansey's capabilities as a special wall, and a Bold nature is the best one to make Chansey as physically bulky as possible. Chansey slows down opponents so that Mega Pinsir can outspeed. Also, Chansey catches physical attackers off guard with Counter. Chansey chips away at health with Seismic Toss, too, then soft-boiles back up.

Rotom-Wash @ Sitrus Berry
Nature: Modest
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 164 HP/ 212 SpA/ 132 Spe
-Thunderbolt
-Hydro Pump
-Will-O-Wisp
-Protect

Set Details:
132 Speed EVs let Rotom-W outspeed Adamant nature maximum Speed Bisharp so Rotom-W can burn Bisharp before it has the chance to attack. 164 HP EVs allow Rotom-W to last around and the rest of the EVs are invested in SpA to allow Rotom-W to hit things hard specially and two hit KO Milotic after the Sitrus Berry. A Sitrus Berry gives Rotom-W longevity and it can switch in on various mons. Will-O-Wisp weakens physical attackers. Pinsir enjoys it as a partner because of Levitate.

Arcanine @ Rocky Helmet
Nature: Impish
EVs: 248 HP/ 8 Atk/ 252 Def
-Flare Blitz
-Will-O-Wisp
-Extreme Speed
-Morning Sun

Set Details:
An Impish nature raises Arcanine's solid physical bulk. Arcanine's Defense skyrockets after an Intimidate, and walls many physical attackers. Arcanine uses Morning Sun for longevity and weakens threats with Will-O-Wisp. Flare Blitz hits mons hard.

Mienshao @ Focus Sash
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 4 HP/ 252 Atk/ 252 Spe
-High Jump Kick
-Rock Slide
-Wide Guard
-Fake Out

Set Details:
252 Attack and Speed EVs are used so Mienshao can hit as hard and fast as possible. Inner Focus works well to prevent Mienshao from getting flinched by Fake Out. Because Mienshao is so frail, it appreciates Focus Sash, which prevents it from being OHKOed by any attack. Wide Guard is used so that Rock Slide can't be used to get rid of Mega Pinsir. Fake Out helps with fainting huge threats. High Jump Kick hits most mons hard. Rock Slide helps with common Flying types.

Summary:
The first five mons have been jelling very well even without a Fairy, or Ice type move. Mega Salamance does cause trouble sometimes. Mienshao works well with hurting foes or preventing Rock Slide or Earthquake but is so fragile that's it's not as effective as needed. I'm still not sure if another Pokemon would be a better final member.
Two questions. What is your current win ratio with this team and can you give us an idea as to which Pokemon you carried to x amount of games for example, you carry Pinsir to 75% of matches but only bring Scizor to like 5%?
[Insert signature here]
(May 23, 2015, 10:04 PM)Marcusube Wrote: Two questions. What is your current win ratio with this team and can you give us an idea as to which Pokemon you carried to x amount of games for example, you carry Pinsir to 75% of matches but only bring Scizor to like 5%?

I've won roughly 68% of my battles with this team and I feel that I just started to use them well. Also, here's how much I think I bring each Pokemon in percentages:

Rotom-W: 95%
Pinsir: 75%
Scizor: 60%
Arcanine: 55%
Chansey: 45%
Mienshao: 35%
I could really use feedback on this team, if someone wouldn't mind helping me out.
Sorry for the delay.

In terms of type advantages, you have common weaknesses to Flying and Rock plus nothing resists Electric on your team. To a further extent, since your Mega Evolution relies so heavily on attacking first since it is borderline frail, you are going to have the most trouble against Thundurus. As for the Rock weakness, it forces you to bring Mienshao to every game just to use Wide Guard since everything else on your team gets hit by Rock Slide for neutral and that 30% chance of flinching can cost you a game.

I wouldn't recommend trying to set up Swords Dance with Pinsir without a Follow Me user but even then, your set has no priority moves and there are Pokemon that outspeed and OHKO you

Chansey literally doesn't even need to be here. Other than absorbing attacks, it doesn't have that good of a supportive role on the field and it can't fend for itself if it is the last thing of the field in a physical metagame like this one

Never run High Jump Kick. Go for Low Kick or Superpower (if it learns that, not entirely sure).

If you plan on running a bulky Arcanine set, Snarl really helps as it allows you to stay around longer even in the face of Water types excluding Milotic because of its ability, Competitive.

Here is a sample of a team I pulled together

Pinsir @ Pinsirite
Ability: Hyper Cutter
Level: 50
EVs: 100 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def / 12 SpD / 140 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Facade
- Feint
- Protect

Bisharp @ Life Orb
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head
- Protect

Landorus-Therian @ Assault Vest
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 44 HP / 252 Atk / 60 Def / 4 SpD / 148 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- U-turn
- Superpower

Suicune @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 244 HP / 132 Def / 92 SpA / 40 SpD
Bold Nature
- Snarl
- Tailwind
- Scald
- Ice Beam

Rotom-Wash @ Light Clay
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 228 HP / 84 Def / 60 SpA / 4 SpD / 132 Spe
Calm Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hydro Pump
- Reflect
- Protect

Scrafty @ Lum Berry
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 212 HP / 68 Atk / 84 Def / 124 SpD / 20 Spe
Careful Nature
- Fake Out
- Quick Guard
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off

Here is an in depth analysis of why I chose these Pokemon

The Pinsir set allows it survive a Mega Kangaskhan's Double Edge at neutral stage. By going Adamant over Jolly, you get enough attack stat to pick up KOs on Terrakion, Kangaskhan, Hydreigon and a chance to OHKO Heatran. The speed EVs allow you to outspeed a max speed Adamant Nature Kangaskhan. I did this because Pinsir, although it can damage Garchomp and everything else that outspeed it with max investment, it still can't OHKO them, however by going Adamant, you stand a better chance of taking out threats that are in the lower speed tiers which is a plus. Feint allows you to wipe out some Pokemon in low health that want to Protect and have their ally take you out, also good for breaking Wide Guard, Kings Shield and Quick Guard.

Bisharp is around to provide some offensive support. In the case you missed out on a knock out or know that Pinsir can't take out the threat by itself, you have Bisharp's Sucker Punch to rely on. Knock Off is nice for getting rid of those Sitrus Berries and Rocky Helmets that give Pinsir the burden of needing to put in extra work which it might not even be able to handle. Iron Head is obviously for Fairies and Protect keeps Bisharp in the game

Landorus gives you support with Intimidate which keeps Pinsir in even longer since it can now stomach attacks without worrying about getting knocked out as easily. I chose the Assault Vest build because of the next Pokemon in the showcase but not only for that reason. Your team needs some bulk to patch up the first two mons who are glass cannons. The standard Landorus set still applies so there really is no need to elaborate on these move choices.

Suicune makes a great fit here. It gives you resistances to Fire, Ice and Water and its support move pool is great. Tailwind gives your allies that speed they need to get the first hit on everything before fainting. By using Tailwind in this set, it gives you liberty to invest into more bulk. Scald dishes out nice damage against Heatran and Terrakion and that burn chance drives it home. Ice Beam is for Dragons and all that take super effective damage from it and Snarl cuts the Special Attack of your opponent, hence your Pokemon are in turn taking less damage

Standard Rotom-Wash set. 132 EVs to speed creep on Bisharp, 60 special attack EVs to OHKO Landorus and Heatran with Hydro Pump and the rest allows you to take some strong Physical attacks such as Mega Kangs Double Edge. I chose Reflect over Will-o-Wisp mainly because in this case where you are running a Pinsir, Reflect helps out in reducing damage just as effectively but from both attackers. Plus if you need to get a burn off, you have Suicune.

Scrafty just gives you another means of Intimidate. The Fake Out support really helps in pinning down one Pokemon so Pinsir can get an attack off without much to worry about. Drain Punch is for HP recovery and Knock Off for removing items. This EV spread allows you to tank Heat Waves from Heatran as well as live a Close Combat from Terrakion at -1 stage

I do like the direction you were going with using Mega Pinsir but you need to consider its weaknesses and make a team around them and not just throw random Pokemon in.
[Insert signature here]
Thanks so much for the in depth feedback. I'm still extremely new to VGC so I need work with team building. In general though I don't get as much joy from very standard teams but your suggestions were great. Thanks!
No problem man Smile
[Insert signature here]
Why is Rotom-W invested into atk? (Probably a typo)
(May 25, 2015, 10:02 PM)greybeardhalt Wrote: Why is Rotom-W invested into atk? (Probably a typo)

Yeah it's suppose to be SpA let me fix that thanks!