Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

New To VGC, need halp
Hello there good people of the internet, I am here because I want to get into the whole VGC doubles... thing. I come from the smogon lands, and I only understand singles.

I normally like to play 6v6 singles, but it isn't supported at all so I always end up frustrated when I bring a vgc legal team just to find out my opponant has 6 arceus. So, I figured why not learn how to play doubles, where the format is greatly supported, and I'll never have any trouble finding a match. My only problem is I don't have a.. team for doubles. I currently have the 2 pokemon that I'd bring in case of a certain thing happening (them being a heliolisk and toxicroak, because politoed and ludicolo bother me that much). A quick note, I unfortunately already caught all the legendaries in my oras copy, so now I can not get a decent legitimate landorus or thundurus. But I don't liek them anyway so at least I have that going for me.

So far, I'd decided the first pokemon I'm going to use for my main 4, is going to be a mega gyarados. I'm going to make it a bulky dragon dancing mega gyarados with water fall and earthquake. But I have no clue how to support him with anything, or why this specific thing supports him, and from what. This is a thing I need help with because I am just stuck completely. I know the common things I'll find (genies, heatran, megam awile) I just don't know what to use with gyarados and of course the toxicroak and heliolisk. Any help would be apreciated. Extra thanks if you can keep the numbers and super mlg qwikscope talk to a minimum? I want to get into VGC, and not tjfRekt all the time. That isn't fun.
George R.R Martin wrote 2016 :L
                                                                        #LillieDefenseSquad

You don't look so well... how bout 50cc's of LINKS!?
I'm not the best teambuilder but here is a somewhat u can do with the team. Play with this team lots and get used to it and then apply changes.

Gyarados @ Gyaradosite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 244 HP / 52 Atk / 124 Def / 36 SpD / 52 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Waterfall
- Crunch
- Dragon Dance
- Protect

Toxicroak @ Life Orb
Ability: Dry Skin
EVs: 252 HP / 72 Atk / 44 SpD / 140 Spe
- Adamant Nature
- Low Kick
- Gunk Shot
- Fake Out
- Helping Hand

Heliolisk @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Dry Skin
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Electrify
- Thunderbolt
- Parabolic Charge
- Hyper Beam

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 232 HP / 104 Def / 60 SpA / 112 SpD
Modest Nature
- Overheat
- Earth Power
- Substitute
- Protect

Amoonguss @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 92 Def / 164 SpD
Bold Nature
- Giga Drain
- Rage
- Spore
- Protect

Salamence @ Haban Berry
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dragon Pulse
- Fire Blast
- Protect
Mega Gyarados is best utilized under a form of misdirection. Follow me/Rage powder for example. So pokemon like Togekiss, Amoonguss, Clefairy/Clefable work best. Amoonguss probably would work the best, assuming it resists most of Gyarados's weaknesses. You can easily D-Dance up under some misdirections.

However, you kind of have to pick your poison here. Amoonguss has Rage powder, and it only works on attacking moves. Meaning it won't misdirect status effects. Follow me on the other hand does that. So pokemon like Clefairy can follow me to take will-o and thunder wave onto it, instead of Gyarados. Play around.

Another thing thats /nice/ to have (but isn't needed) is a wide guard user. Hyper voice is one of the most common spread moves in vgc. Assuming it's from Sylveon/Gardevoir, it's gonna be a fairy move. and because it's spread, you can't misdirect it. Meaning it's gonna hit mega gyarados for super effective damage, and it's gonna hit it really hard. Wide guard stops this.

Also, you might wanna rethink EQ on Gyara. I don't feel like it's that good anymore. Landorus/Thundurus/Cresselia/M-Salamence are all so common and wont get hit by it. and mons that will get hit by it like Aegislash will survive, and commonly have weakness policy. It's really only good against heatran, who could actually be holding a berry anyways. + teams that are EQ weak can easily run wide guard.

I made a Gyarados tailwind team recently, and even made a post on it. http://pokemonforever.com/Thread-VGC-Rog...s-Tailwind

I went for dual STAB. Crunch and Waterfall, with d-dance and protect. I hope this helped.
50 thousand people used to live here...Now it's a ghost town.
I think Raichu has good potential around it (lightning rob + fake out + encore), to prevent electric damage and still set up DD, follow me and rage powder may work but they aren't the only one's to make a DD variant work. i think raichu can create tons of disruption with blocking moves as you read on top.
As Rouge suggested to reconsider the choice of EQ, i'd likely say run crunch as bulky phychic types, e.g. cresselia and goth are troubled by it, it also takes care of aegislash and adds up as a STAB moe after it's mega evolution.
*Electabuzz anyone?*
Gyarados @ Gyaradosite
EVs: 244 HP / 52 Atk / 124 Def / 36 SpD / 52 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Waterfall
- Crunch Maybe Ice fang? no other ice moves on the team. can handle both landorus and thundurus
- Dragon Dance
- Protect
Shachi's a monster to go against -  wpendragon

Semolina pilchard, climbing up the Eiffel Tower. Elementary penguin singing Hari Krishna.
Man, you should have seen them kicking Edgar Allan Poe.
(Oct 4, 2015, 11:23 AM)Jetman99 Wrote: Heatran @ Leftovers  
Ability: Flash Fire  
EVs: 232 HP / 104 Def / 60 SpA / 112 SpD  
Modest Nature  
- Overheat  
- Earth Power  
- Substitute  
- Protect  

Heatran eh... I have a heatran with 0 speed IV's and the -speed version of modest, would it suffice?
George R.R Martin wrote 2016 :L
                                                                        #LillieDefenseSquad

You don't look so well... how bout 50cc's of LINKS!?