Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

Azumarill: Belly Drum or Assault Vest?
I just bred an Azumarill because I find cool that it has that much potential as a physical sweeper. Problem is I can't decide between those two sets. On one hand, I like the spectacular attack Belly Drum can offer, but I'm aware of the lost HP and the perils of it. On the other hand, I find Assault Vest Azumarill way safer and it still gets a lot of power, but I don't think I'll have so much fun playing it (and this is definitely an issue for me). So, can somebody share their thoughts on these sets? EVs I might use for a Belly Drum one not to die in the first turn? Tips to use them?
Most likely VGC format.
(Sep 7, 2016, 08:57 AM)naitre Wrote: My personal choice is BD Azu 9 times out of 10. I like to play hyper offensively and feel that, if you were looking for bulk, there are other Pokemon who can utilize the bulk well, but there aren't as many who can dish out the raw power that Azu can. Pairing BD Azu with Lightning Rod Raichu on the field can minimize a lot of BD Azu's weaknesses and make you a real threat.

Raichu also has fake out support, so if azumaril has an issue, raichu can give it a quick slap. Smile
George R.R Martin wrote 2016 :L
                                                                        #LillieDefenseSquad

You don't look so well... how bout 50cc's of LINKS!?
In VGC, I think that Belly Drum is better in almost every case, and while I wouldn't say that Assault Vest is a niche set, it is very situational.
Belly Drum Azumarill is the best set to utilize, especially if you pair it with something like a redirection user. Amoonguss is the premier partner as not only does it have Rage Powder, but it can spread sleep status against the opposition with Spore. With Amoonguss's part Grass-typing, you can avoid getting hit from STAB Thunderbolts from Zapdos, Raichu, Thundurus, other Electric on Azu as Amoonguss can easily tank such hits. If you manage to get off a Belly Drum with Azumarill, essentially its just a matter of prediction. Almost everything in the Battle Spot Doubles format dies to a +6 Play Rough / Aqua Jet, though I've also seen people run Return / Knock Off just to hit opposing Amoonguss / Aegislash. Azumarill / Amoonguss is a popular pair run especially in the mid to high ladder, and can get you some wins even in the lower ladder. Just watch out for powerful spread attackers and Grass-type Pokemon as they kinda render this strategy near useless to the point you have to forget about Belly Drumming, and attacking instead.

Assault Vest does have some use on the Azumarill like tanking a super effective Thunderbolts and special Grass-type moves, but for this set to work, you need some support (Intimidate, Snarl, Will-o-Wisp). The idea of AV Azumarill is to be a pivot to special hits, however the problem is this variant is as strong, or as offensive as the Belly Drum set.
The damage output of AV Azumarill is abysmal even in ratio to the attacks it is going to survive. Assault Vest increases Azumarill's longevity but not by much seeing as it only helps in surviving a super effective or high damaging special hit. Based on the amount of damage an Assault Vest Azumarill does, it is better off used as a filler Pokemon and not the base core/Pokemon.

In contrast, Belly Drum Azumarill is extremely threatening when you get that +6 off as nothing on the ladder bar Poison/Grass types like Amoonguss and M-Venusaur will be living an Aqua Jet or Play Rough. It does require more involved team building especially in finding Pokemon that can redirect status/attacks or check Azumarill's checks/counters. Azumarill, Amoonguss and Talonflame make an interesting FWG core to start off with as Talonflame can remove the grass types that stop Azumarill from setting up as well as provide Tailwind and Taunt support. I hope I'm not rambling off on a different tangent here but point is that Belly Drum Azumarill is more viable on the ladder

Oh yes, don't EV to hit offensive benchmarks for Belly Drum as most players may be prepared for it and not putting in enough attack EVs will push Azumarill into doing abysmal damage. EV your Azumarill to outspeed min speed Tyranitar and maybe 44 EVs neutral Aegislash. You can push it to outspeeding uninvested base 80s but just know that you won't be as bulky
Thanks for all the tips guys! I think I'll go for the BD one. It's being a little pain though, because I have to breed for the egg moves. It's the first time I breed for two different egg moves, so it's new and exciting, but it's also a little boring sometimes.
i run max hp, max atk with choice band
Tested the BD Azumarill just in the Battle Resort and it works just fine with some good redirection (I used a Smeargle using Follow Me but I'll go for the Amoonguss soon). Can't wait to have a whole good team to test online.