Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

Smogon or Official rules?
I usually play VGC, because I want to get better at doubles. However, Dark Void Smeargle makes me regret life

I support Official but i really want to get into smogon
I like VGC because of how it is more focused on strategy, how you are able to run team types more effective (Rain, Trick Room, Tailwind etc.) and the speed at which the game flows. Smogon is great as well because it opens more room for experimentation since they have an established tier system, allowing players various meta games to play in and learn (yes OU singles and NU singles are two different beasts trsut me). When it boils down to it, both styles hold equal status because in the end its all about having fun. The rules for each format aren't anything unreasonable and are adequate in controlling the meta game and competitiveness of the game itself.
[Insert signature here]
I don't mind either. VGC and Singles play veerrryy differently, so it only makes sense that there's different rules. Smogon is a bit ban happy, though for the most part I can support their usage-based tiers and competitive analysis. There's times when Pokemon that require a little more effort and team support just drop down to lower tiers. That makes me sorta cringe and think "these guys are lazy" but I'm not that into the meta of every tier so I just go with it.

VGC is much faster paced and does require more skill in prediction and metagame knowledge. Knowing a set can save you and facing something you have no idea how to counter can end you (eg: Sejun's Pachi, lol). I prefer VGC because of the speed and more advanced play, but I won't discredit singles/Smogon for requiring skill, since that's especially true in lower tiers where more innovation is required.
I really can't wrap my head around the idea of saying Smogon singles requires less skill, less predictions, and less metagame knowledge. Considering that there are way more pokemon that are used, way more sets that are viable in singles, and way more play styles that are viable. When do you see hazard play in doubles? When do you see things like toxic play? Ever see someone use healing wish in doubles? Do you know the movesets a mew can have? Jirachi? Keldeo? I could really go on forever.

It's literally a different ball game. Every mega, excluding audino, is used quite a lot. Every Pokemon in general can be used. Do you understand what I'm saying? 6 Pokemon. 4 moves on each. Possibly different roles on each. 1 item on each. The different abilities they can have, The kind of pivots they can make based on their team (switching out into a check or even a counter) and so much more come into play. I have to keep my mind sharp every battle and know what every Pokemon can do.

The only "super banned" pokemon that had to get it's own tier for is mega rayquaza. If you want to count ubers pokemon as "banned" pokemon when it's just a higher tier, There are currently 28 pokemon in ubers. 31 if you count the other forms of deoxys. There are currently 32 pokemon banned from vgc. 35 if you count deoxy's forms. So, take that as you will. Not to mention last year, vgc 14, literally more than half of the pokemon in the entire game were banned. So. Uh. Yeah.

Also, counters are important in both styles. You can't make an OU team and only account for the OU pokemon, thats bad team building. People bring UU pokemon in an OU battle. Or BL or RU and etc. and one of those can easily tear your team apart.

Maybe I'm just being a child and can't handle dirt being thrown on my home. But something just irks me about seeing people who don't even play singles at a high level say things like that. It doesn't even make sense to even imply it takes less skill than the other, especially when I take it seriously and put a lot into smogon frontier tournaments and I always place high. But I guess anyone can do that, right? Since it takes less skill.

All well. Whatever, yo. I just wish we all could respect each other without throwing dirt on the other.
50 thousand people used to live here...Now it's a ghost town.
I think they both take equal amount of skill, but hey, I've haven't been in the competitive scene long so who am I to judge

anyway here's a Picture of a dog with a mustache to cheer you up

[Image: baffi.jpg]
Eckley those dogs are adorable :3
Edit: and Naitre

For being an only VGC player i still agree that they both take alot of skill they're different and they take a different approach and mindset, i wish be could respect each other too rouge but theres always gonna be something.
~Visit PokemonForever's Twitter Page~
Ha! You've underestimated my stupidity.
~Virtual Polygon Duck of Team Forum~
@Anime @naitre Just spreading the love haha I didn't want this thread to turn into a conflict of players
(May 15, 2015, 08:04 AM)Eckley Wrote: @Anime @naitre  Just spreading the love haha I didn't want this thread to turn into a conflict of players

Lol yeah, but it does show you how dedicated a lot of people are to this game Smile
~Visit PokemonForever's Twitter Page~
Ha! You've underestimated my stupidity.
~Virtual Polygon Duck of Team Forum~
Alright, I say we settle down and listen to a story. I think some of you may remember this one:  kappa

But anyway, I say we let everyone play the game the way they see fit. Smogon is the best way to play Singles, VGC is the best way to play Doubles. You can't really compare the two because they play completely different formats. I personally play VGC. Would I like to play Smogon? Absolutely. Pokemon is my favorite game and I would love to learn any way to play it that I can.

Honestly the only reason I play VGC is because it was how I got into the competitive game in the first place through people like Justin (actually I'm pretty sure it was only Justin kappa ) and I've gotten used to it by now. I can't really comment on Smogon because I have literally no experience with it. What I can comment on, however, is the fact that everyone I know who does play Smogon has an incredible knowledge of the game that far surpasses even my own, and so I really can't stand it when people from either "side" call the opposite unskilled.

Come to think of it, why should there even be sides in the first place? We all love Pokemon and we all have our own preferred way to play the game, so can we please just accept the opinions of others without making rash generalizations about other play syles?

Anyway, I didn't exactly mean to rant, but this has been bothering me for a while. The important thing is that today is my 18th birthday and now all I need is 14 more so I can finally beat Justin at something. kappa