Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

[TEAM REPORT] Swords Don't Swish, They Pew: 1st Place PF VGC 17 Team Report

Swords Don't Swish, They Pew: 1st Place PF VGC 17 Team Report

[Image: 6e0aed_bf6fdd3c8b7b850a5b857e3f08b7d023.jpg_512]

So huh...Happy New Year everyone and its been awhile. Don't know what to say, let me start off with this. Didn't expect much out of this tournament in terms of my performance and was kinda doing my best to monitor things smoothly, yet here we are. Will admit, did have considerations on using two of my high ladder PS/BS teams (both will come in due time), though decide to based this on the one of them. Honestly don't elaborate much regarding the teambuiding process as this will be explain in the next team report (coming soon). All I can say is that this team is INDEED heavily based on Se Jun Park's team with Tapu Fini, Arcanine, Kartana, and of course Scarf Adaptability Porygon-Z with Hyper Beam. Will explain the other core between those mons, though Se Jun's team is heavily hyper offensive as oppose to I taking a more "passive-defensive" approach (except the Porygon-Z).  Guess the best way to say this is a bulky offensive team to describe it at the end of the day. 

Background

Instead of starting off with the core, I'm going to show the "final product" here thanks to the Pokemon Team Builder: http://pokemonforever.com/teambuilder.ph...85|526|474

As you all see, this team has a major Fighting-, and far worse Ground-type weakness so again its not the best synergy wise. While Pheromosa and Hariyama can be dealt with some proper play with this team, things such as Garchomp for sure can do some major damage especially if it has Groundium Z to get almost for sure OHKOs against key members. The "best" way to deal with opposing fast Ground-type types Garchomp is essentially OHKO them back quickly with my fast attackers (Koko, Z, and Kartana) along with a makeshift "Wide Guard" support from Gigalith. Again gonna say Groundium Z Chomp as its honestly the most common, and best user given it doesn't get affected by Wide Guard / Grassy Terrain, while is a incredibly powerful single target Ground-type move on my team. In short, this team has to faint Garchomp quick enough, or have it weaken or "checked" in the endgame by one of my mons in order to beat it. 

Originally this team was suppose to have Snorlax as oppose to Porygon-Z, though the issue with it was it wasn't the "best" response to fast teams, which I did expect to face many as oppose to Trick Room. For this tournament, wanted a fast Pokemon who can basically hit hard and fast without much repercussions. Indeed "consider" Z-Conversion Porygon-Z for this team, though I felt "too" comfortable" having another Z-Attack on my team instead of relying on one setup, not to mention Z-Conversion Porygon-Z is a team effort which wasn't there. Given the similar core to this team and with Se Jun's, decided to eventually use Scarf Porygon-Z with Hyper Beam as my main "nuke" attack against opposing targets. To keep this explanation short, I felt people would "expect" me to Z-Conversion with Porygon-Z, but having a Scarf Adaptability Hyper Beam + Z-Move was appealing to use for this tournament. Basically I felt if Porygon-Z can get a good one for one KO, then Hyper Beam was justifable enough, provided it gets knocked out for a free switch.

The core between Tapu Fini, Kartana, and Arcanine was probably developed by someone else despite me knowing, though the overall synergy between each Pokemon is amazing. Both Tapu Fini and Kartana have strong defensive typing with an Intimidate user such as Arcanine to pair well. If anything, Tapu Fini was perhaps the main anchor of this team as it prevents any form of "status" conditions against my team which neuters defensive teams with Toxic / Wisp. All I can say about Kartana is that it complements Tapu Fini so well given its amazing Grass/Steel typing and offensive nature as it can wall/threaten opposing most Grass-, Poison-, and Fairy-types, especially with the Assault Vest. Finally Arcanine is here to provide Intimidate support and "if possible" burn targets assuming Fini's Misty Terrain is gone. Used many variations of fast support Arcanine in the past month, but this one is probably my favorite as you'll see soon.  

Lastly Tapu Koko and Gigalith are kinda there to help against opposing weather-based teams with the combination of Sand + Electric Terrain. Will say Gigalith does have Wide Guard to block Earthquake from Ground-types, though that might not have been the best idea given how many Ground-types these days have Groundium Z. Regarding Tapu Koko, it was a rather fast mon with Taunt support to not only pick off weaken targets, but prevent opposing setup. 

The Team

[Image: tapufini.png]
Loser (Tapu Fini) @ Leftovers  
Ability: Misty Surge  
Level: 50  
EVs: 244 HP / 148 Def / 68 SpA / 4 SpD / 44 Spe  
Calm Nature  
IVs: 0 Atk  
- Moonblast  
- Scald  
- Calm Mind  
- Protect  

Milestones
- -Avoids being OHKOed by a Wild Charge or Thunderbolt LO from Tapu Koko without Electric Terrain
-Takes two Poison Jabs from Garchomp / Pheromosa without a boosting item.
-Takes two LO Psychics from Tapu Lele (without Psychic Terrain) relatively well. 
-OHKOs 4 Garchomp after +1 CM Moonblast.

Ever since the start new VGC format, Tapu Fini was and possibly still is the most unexplored Tapu. Don't blame other players from consider the other three Tapu Pokemon since all of them get an additional boost to one of their respective STABs which makes them hit hard. So that begs the question why consider Tapu Fini? To answer that shortly: Misty Terrain. Let me just say the fact Tapu Fini can summon a Terrain field which can block all "status conditions" for five turns and avoid being shafted by random Toxic, Sleep, or Wisp for it opposing mons is amazing insurance. With the rise of defensive oriented teams, felt Tapu Fini was arguably on, if the best handpick check to them given its impressive typing and bulk to tank as many hits possible. This Fini set could have been Specs, but in the end felt like using the bulky Calm Mind to setup potential endgames similar to how I used CM Cresselia (and everyone knows how fun that was). 

With its impressive typing, figured a simple two attacking CM set of Moonblast and Scald was sufficient enough.  Moonblast is Tapu Fini's main attack of choice as its a strong Fairy-type STAB with the 30% chance to drop SpAtk which actually helped in my last battle. Wanted to try Muddy Water to avoid being pseudo-walled by Gastrodon, but Scald was listed on as a last minute mistake, which once again helped. Then again with all the opposing Terrains being shifted around, Tapu Fini can potentially burn targets with Scald and allows it to progressively setup. 

Calm Mind is the crux of this Tapu Fini set as it boost both Special stats for Fini, making it an nearly immovably special wall. If Tapu Fini is up against mostly specially based attacks who can't hurt it for super effective damage, chances are it can carry the game by itself. Normally by one or two turns of setup, Tapu Fini can start inflicting some major damage to my opponent, though again I have to play carefully against opposing Tapu Koko or Tapu Bulu-based teams. Speaking of opposing threats, Tapu Fini can take one hit from either those two provided their terrain fields aren't in effect. 

In all, Tapu Fini was one of the main defensive anchor for this team which was able to perform its job as a bulky setup sweeper. Not much else to say, though I will give a further analysis later on for another team report soon. 

[Image: kartana.png]
Rouge Smite (Kartana) @ Assault Vest  
Ability: Beast Boost  
EVs: 116 HP / 4 Atk / 4 Def / 132 SpD / 252 Spe  
Jolly Nature  
- Leaf Blade  
- Smart Strike  
- Sacred Sword  
- Night Slash

Milestones:
- Survives both Rain-boosted Hydro Vortex or Techonic Rage from Golduck / Garchomp.
- Has a 16% Chance to be 2HKOed by Alolan Ninetales's Blizzard with Hail damage. 
-Speed Ties Max Speed Alolan Ninetales and Kartana

Originally didn't like the idea of running Assault Vest on Kartana, since usually whenever I do consider AV mons, they have to have an impressive amount of Special defense, or somewhat workable Special Defense with great bulk and power. Usually I alway went back and forth between using either AV Kartana or Focus Sash Kartana on one of my other teams. At the time, felt like both sets performed similar effects where I'd want AV to take a strong Special hit, or when Kartana just needed to survive on turn to get that damage off. Then after watching Ray Rizzo's bulky Kartana set, I decided to run the exact same EV spread since pretty much it was far bulkier and the damage calculations proved that Kartana doesn't lose out in any "significant" 2HKOs or OHKOs. Like this mon has a higher attack stat as Primal Groudon and the same typing (and defense stat) as Ferrothorn...so yeah it ain't losing much. 

Speaking of Ferrothorn (who I miss dearly), Kartana's Grass/Steel typing gives it a whooping ten combined resistance/immunities, of which it can tank opposing Grass-, Electric-, or Poison-type hits for Tapu Fini. Thanks to the Assault Vest, Kartana is able to handle most of the common threats such as THE ENTIRE TAPU GUARDIANS. Like none of these mons if weaken want to be staring at the blades of this mon, as Kartana can threaten, if not OHKO them to gain a further +1 Attack raise. Beast Boost is one of the main reason why Kartana doesn't have much attack investment since if it can get a kill, well it can one shot so many targets with little ease. 

In terms of attacks, Kartana has STAB Leaf Blade to hit opposing Grass-, Ground-, or Rock-type Pokemon for super effective damage alongside Smart Strike for opposing Fairy-types (plus can't miss). Sacred Sword is a cool Fighting coverage since it negates all stat boost from the opposing Pokemon and great against Normal-, Rock-, or Steel-types. Night Slash actually give Kartana perfect coverage with this movepool as it hits opposing Ghost- and Psychic-types like Alolan Raichu, Alolan Marowak, and Gengar hard. Will like to say aside Leaf Blade and Sacred Sword, Kartana's moveset is rather limited, though it does get the job done. 

In short, AV Kartana was probably my most used mon after Fini which got the job done when it need to. Not once did I felt the lack of attack investment was an issue as Beast Boosts only supplement it further. Will say it was my most effective "glue" and offensive mon for the team. 

[Image: arcanine.png]
Aloe Archer (Arcanine) @ Firium Z
Ability: Intimidate  
EVs: 212 HP / 4 Atk / 12 Def / 28 SpD / 252 Spe  
Jolly Nature  
- Flare Blitz  
- Snarl  
- Will-O-Wisp  
- Protect

Milestones:
- Outspeed and Speed Tied up to base 95 speed.
- Survives Modest Tapu Lele's Psychic
-Survives Modest LO Tapu Koko's Thunderbolt

So in all my teams I've built for this format, they all had this big Aloe Vera Pupper given how 1) it has alright defensive potential with Intimidate and 2) its a doge. Usually most of my defensive Arcanine sets were specially based with Overheat or Flamethrower with Firium Z, but decided to test out Flare Blitz and didn't turn back on that choice. Essentially wanted a consistent Fire-type move to utilize for this tournament and it did came down to using either Flamethrower, Overheat, Burn Up, or Flare Blitz. Realize that there was a potential for "defensive" Arcanine mirrors as we both spammed Snarl to reduce both the Special Attack stats. Of course, the potential for intimidate is there, but felt Flare Blitz was a safer choice with a strong physical Fire-type Z-attack to use. Even when using Flare Blitz, didn't feel and different than using Overheat or Flamethrower, though was able to pick up OHKOs a bit sooner on specially defensive based mons. 

Will-O-Wisp is listed in case I do have the pontential to burn the target down, though chances are somewhat slim with Tapu Fini on this team. Then again with all the Terrain switching going on, rather have something to cripple physical attackers and hold them down. Snarl is on this set to reduce the special attack output of my opponent and break potential sashes. Given the somewhat bulk nature of this team with CM Fini and AV Kartana, Snarl can assist both mons in their efforts to lead the team. If Arcanine manages to burn opposing targets and drop their physical attacks, there's a good chance either Fini or Kartana can just win the game from there with setup. 

Not really much to say about Fast Support Arcanine, except it did its job to Intimidate down opposing targets, burn stuff down, and using its physical Fire-type Z move to hit opposing targets. Not sure if the special variant would have been "better" for this tournament, but again not I didn't want to rely on Overheat / Burn Out given their inconsistent situations and the weaker Flamethrower. Maybe this Pupper just wants to hug you, or burn you IDK. Oh yeah @naitre feed the pupper. 

[Image: tapukoko.png]
Coco Puffs (Tapu Koko) @ Life Orb  
Ability: Electric Surge  
EVs: 28 HP / 4 Def / 244 SpA / 4 SpD / 228 Spe  
Modest Nature  
- Thunderbolt  
- Dazzling Gleam  
- Taunt  
- Protect  

Milestones:
-Life Orb HP Value
-Outspeed base 110s

Perhaps the most "boring" mon on this team, but over the past few weeks, I've came to appreciate how "powerful" Tapu Koko is in this format. The set is self-explanatory given how I'm only using two STAB attacks: Thunderbolt and Dazzling Gleam. Still unsure whether Modest Tapu Koko is "good" but apparently so many players use it over the Timid variant. The goal of this Tapu Koko is simple and that is to pick off weaken targets and get fast Taunts off to prevent any setup. Modest Life Orb Electric Terrain STAB-boosted Thunderbolt is still strong enough to dent the opposition, though have to play Tapu Koko carefully given it won't last long. Dazzling Gleam is good enough to deal decent spread damage, though not strong enough to pickup the OHKO on things like Garchomp without prior damage. In short, really have to play Tapu Koko carefully and to attack when I have to finish the game. 

[Image: gigalith.png]
Comrade (Gigalith) @ Rockium Z  
Ability: Sand Stream  
EVs: 196 HP / 124 Atk / 188 SpD  
Brave Nature  
IVs: 0 Spe  
- Rock Slide  
- Heavy Slam  
- Wide Guard  
- Protect  

Milestones:
-OHKOs 252 HP / 4 Def  Tapu Lele with Heavy Slam
-Timid Koko has a 9.8% Chance to 2HKO
-Z-Psychic (Shatter Psyche) has a 12.5% chance to OHKO from Tapu Lele

Not so sure why I decided to add Gigalith onto the team aside to help its matchup against opposing weather and potentially take on special attack thanks to its Special Defense raise. Didn't bring Gigalith to any games bar one, which was honestly sub-par due to it being Intimidated and failing to get crucial damage. Well elaborate on why I still brought Gigalith, one of my main concerns was opposing weather and double spread attacks, especially from Earthquake. Even though Gigalith will fall to a Tectonic Rage from Garchomp, still want something to act as a mini tank of sort to sponge hits and hit back hard. If there's any regret about this Gigalith set that it wasn't "bulky" enough, or had the move Earthquake which I think would have helped me against Eye Shine (ThatsaplusONE). Rock Slide is for spread damage with the Rockium Z to also chunk at something like a Gyarados or Arcanine for heavy damage. Heavy Slam hits opposing Fairy-types and gets some surprise OHKOs on Tapu Lele, Mimikyu, Alolan Ninetales, and others. Wide Guard is there for again spread damage protection, though I don't know if it was "good enough". Guess all I can say is Gigalith did "help" influence" my opponent's lead choice / selection, though again it was a makeshift last minute pick. 

[Image: porygon-z.png]
ANIMEKILLER (Porygon-Z) @ Choice Scarf  
Ability: Adaptability  
EVs: 4 HP / 20 Def / 252 SpA / 20 SpD / 212 Spe  
Timid Nature  
- Hyper Beam  
- Tri Attack  
- Ice Beam  
- Thunderbolt  

Milestones:
-Outspeed Max Speed Pheromosa
-Pew things with Hyper Beam
-Pew

What can I say, AnimeKid7 lives on in the spirit of its new cybernetic duck body, though he might be a little corrupted from the procedure, but science is amazing. Yes everyone. It has Hyper Beam. Adaptability STAB Hyper Beam. Don't think that spamming Hyper Beam with Porygon-Z will net suprise KOs or kills. This has to be timed and position correctly since these type of attacks do have a "recharge" turn phase afterward. Honestly I'd only use this attack if 1) to OHKO something and my opponent can't OHKO Porygon-Z the turn afterward, 2) net a suprise OHKO, or 3) go for it when its my only play (as seen in the finals). Porygon-Z's Adaptability Hyper Beam is one of the strongest attacks in the games, and to have this on a strong Scarf user as Porygon-Z, well its going to net some OHKOs. Will like to reiterate that Hyper Beam like attacks have drawbacks as Porygon-Z can't attack the following turn.

Essentially the basic idea of running Hyper Beam on Porygon-Z is to get a one for one trade where I know my opponent's loss was going to vastly affect their win cons...hopefully. For some STAB damage, Tri Attack is still good enough to net some target down especially with the Adabtibility. Ice Beam is for opposing Dragon-, Grass-, Ground-, and Flying-types who won't appreciate a Scarf attack, and same can be said for Thunderbolt to hit Water-types. If there's one thing I have to say, Porygon-Z was able to be clutch on the turns it manage to hit a Hyper Beam, and thankfully none of them missed. 

Will say it was good to end the tournament on a high note with that Hyper Beam. Definitely caught my opponents off guard. 

IMPORTABLE

Loser (Tapu Fini) @ Leftovers  
Ability: Misty Surge  
EVs: 244 HP / 148 Def / 68 SpA / 4 SpD / 44 Spe  
Calm Nature  
- Moonblast  
- Scald  
- Calm Mind  
- Protect  

Rouge Smite (Kartana) @ Assault Vest  
Ability: Beast Boost  
EVs: 116 HP / 4 Atk / 4 Def / 132 SpD / 252 Spe  
Jolly Nature  
- Leaf Blade  
- Smart Strike  
- Sacred Sword  
- Night Slash  

Aloe Archer (Arcanine) @ Sitrus Berry  
Ability: Intimidate  
EVs: 212 HP / 4 Atk / 12 Def / 28 SpD / 252 Spe  
Jolly Nature  
- Flare Blitz  
- Snarl  
- Will-O-Wisp  
- Protect  

Coco Puffs (Tapu Koko) @ Life Orb  
Ability: Electric Surge  
EVs: 28 HP / 4 Def / 244 SpA / 4 SpD / 228 Spe  
Modest Nature  
- Thunderbolt  
- Dazzling Gleam  
- Taunt  
- Protect  

Comrade (Gigalith) @ Rockium Z  
Ability: Sand Stream  
EVs: 196 HP / 124 Atk / 188 SpD  
Brave Nature  
IVs: 0 Spe  
- Rock Slide  
- Heavy Slam  
- Wide Guard  
- Protect  

ANIMEKILLER (Porygon-Z) @ Choice Scarf  
Ability: Adaptability  
EVs: 4 HP / 20 Def / 252 SpA / 20 SpD / 212 Spe  
Timid Nature  
- Hyper Beam  
- Tri Attack  
- Ice Beam  
- Thunderbolt  

Tournament Summary

Now I won't detail every battle play-by-playexactly done, but will give some "post-game" thoughts on each round. Will leave out my Round 1 opponent as the person was a no-show, but IDK what would have happen there since this is Best of 1, so I could have lost there. With that said, here's my tournament run play-by-play summary. Here's a good rundown of the tournament as well from Challonge.  

Round 1: Vs Hyrunwoo0124

Again, not sure what would happen if my opponent showed up, but again everyone has to be on time for the tour so guess its a free win.

Round 2 Vs YugiohTravis12

Opponent Team: Gastrodon, Togedemaru, Tapu Bulu, Minior, Incineroar, and Alolan Muk

I Brought: Porygon-Z, Tapu Koko, Kartana, Arcanine
He brought: Incineroar, Gastrodon, Tapu Bulu, Alolan Muk

Summary: This is an example of what happens if Arcanine manages to burn / Intimidate down opposing physical attackers. Porygon2 manages to 2HKO Gastrodon and Tapu Koko dealt some decent damage to both the Alolan Muk and Incineroar. Don't recall much of my thoughts on this battle, but basically pulled a double switch, Arcanine burn Alolan Muk, and Grassy Terrain was setup from Tapu Bulu...so Kartana had some fun in the late game. Basically speaking once Incinceroar's HP was render low enough, Kartana could pickup the OHKO on the Fire Starter, then Tapu Bulu, and finally Alolan Muk. Arcanine did a good job ensuring Alolan Muk wasn't an issues, especially if it had any setup options. Essentially had the game in the bag with Kartana slowly pick off my opponent's team. 

Round 3 VS Mudkiplegend

Opponent Team: Celesteela, Goodra, Alolan Marowak, Tapu Koko, Gyarados, Porygon2

I Brought: Gigalith, Porygon-Z, Arcanine, Tapu Fini
He Brought: Gyarados, Goodra, Celesteela, Alolan Marowak

Summary: So... I Hyper Beam the Gyarados turn 1 knowing either Mudkip would setup, or go after my Gigalith, meanwhile Porygon-Z was likely going to faint due to a potential Draco Meteor, which surprisingly doesn't. Adaptability Hyper Beam basically KOs Gyarados and Goodra is felt with moderate damage. Do feel that I'd played passively too much during the following turns as I should have went for the Flare Blitz on the Goodra with Arcanine after it was at less than 5% HP. The Alolan-Marowak was perhaps the most troublesome Pokemon on Mudkiplegend's team remaining as I virtually had to rely on Gigalith / Fini to OHKO it, even though both can't take Heavy Slams from Celesteela. Can't risk Arcanine at point in the game, so am forced into Fini, which gets Leech Seeded. I manage to pressure Alec's Alolan Marowak down to where it had to OHKO the Gigalith meanwhile Fini kept dealing consistent damage, or pressuring it. The main concern was if Mudkip seeded both my Arcanine and Tapu Fini to go for the Sub Seed endgame, but thankfully (and yes thanks Archer for the Hax) burnt the Flying Steel Spaceship...thing. Pretty much the burn meant Celesteela can't OHKO Tapu Fini so another Flare Blitz + Scald should win me the game in clear fashion. Key note I notice is Alec kept attacking the Tapu Fini with Heavy Slam and didn't go for Seeds on Arcanine, which actually might have won him the game since I had Flare Blitz on Arcanine, but that's how it happens. Still think the burn didn't matter in the end as two Flare Blitz still OHKOed Celesteela.  

Round 4 VS 101 ("Numbers") / Semi Finals

Opponent Team: 
Arcanine, Kartana, Tapu Bulu, Tapu Fini, Gigalith, Stoutland

Game 1

I Brought: Porygon-Z, Kartana, Arcanine, Tapu Fini
He Brought: Gigalith, Stoutland, Arcanine, Tapu Fini

Game 2 

I brought: Kartana, Arcanine, Tapu Fini, Porygon-Z
He brought: Arcanine, Kartana, Tapu Bulu, Tapu Fini

Game 3

I brought: Kartana, Arcanine, Tapu Fini, Porygon-Z
He Brought: Arcanine, Tapu Fini, Tapu Bulu, Kartana

Summary: This was as close to a "mirror match" we could get, and it actually terrified me given he was running 4 of the same mons with Sand + TWO DOGS. TWO DOGS GUYS. To sum up what happen game 1, my opponent leads with his Sand, but Arcanine + Kartana manages to hold their ground against Stoutland + Gigalith. Surprisingly pulled a successful double switch to get Porygon-Z against his Arcanine and I already know what to do. Animekiller gets a crit Hyper Beam to OHKO the Arcanine and Kartana gets a OHKO against the Gigalith. At this point, Stoutland faints the P-Z, which then falls to a Sacred Sword from Kartana, which survives a Hydro Pump from his own Fini. Essentially Kartana gets the last OHKO and I lead 1-0 in the series.

Game 2 all I can say is this I made the biggest messes up in VGC 17 (for me at least by deciding to sack Porygon-Z turn 1 to a double up from Numbers's own Kartana and Arcanine. It was a dumb play, but should I've switch into Fini, this battle might have been radically different instead of me being far behind. Don't remember what happen, but Tapu Bulu manages to OHKO Tapu Fini with Horn Leech even when it was burnt. Felt that was another major mistake as CM Tapu Fini could salvage the game, though threw my last viable win con. If Numbers stayed in with Arcanine and I got the crit Leaf Blade on Grassy Terrain, the battle might have swayed heavily in my favor, but he switch into Fini knowing well that Arcanine might die to a crit. With Kartana fainted due to a Flamethrower, all that's left was my own Arcanine, which I knew there was no way to win.

Game 3 let me just say plays out probably what "Should" have happen, except Tapu Fini gets a eventful Scald burn on to the incoming Tapu Bulu (remember Misty Terrain was lifted). Decide to pull another Hyper Beam attack with Porygon-Z onto the Tapu Fini and switch into Kartana while both Number's Tapus were on the field. As Arcanine switches in, Porygon-Z lands and OHKOs the Fire Doge for the second time this series meanwhile Bulu protects itself from my Kartana. The dreaded Kartana mirror match happens as I don't know if Kartana will protect, or worse potentially speed tie to OHKO my own. To cover this, Arcanine goes for the Inferno Overdrive to pick off the opposing Kartana, which actually works out. In the same turn, actually learn that the Kartana is slower against my max speed Arcanine so that was a relief there. As soon as the enemy Kartana fainted, the game was mine was I Leaf Blade the Tapu Fini and Flare Blitz the Tapu Bulu with Kartana / Arcanine respectively. The opposing Fini manages to live, but with a Kartana and my own Fini on the field, it was over. Somehow managed to get to Finals by OHKOing a Fire Doge two times with Hyper Beam.

Round 5 VS Eye Shine ("NME_THATSAplusONE") / Finals

Opponent Team: 
Gyarados, Tapu Lele, Alolan Raichu, Tapu Koko, Garchomp, Butterfree

Game 1

I Brought: Kartana, Tapu Fini, Porygon-Z, Tapu Koko
He Brought: Alolan Raichu, Butterfree, Gyarados, Tapu Koko

Game 2 

I brought: Kartana, Tapu Fini, Porygon-Z, Tapu Koko
He brought: Garchomp, Butterfree, Tapu Lele, Alolan Raichu

Game 3

I brought: Tapu Koko, Kartana, Porygon-Z, Tapu Fini
He Brought: Garchomp, Gyarados, Tapu Koko, Alolan Raichu

Summary: So I'm apparently battling someone who top cut regionals with a Butterfree, though I won't dismiss nor ignore Eye Shine accomplishment. All I know was his team looked hyper offensive and the best way to beat him was to out play or outgun him at key point. Game 1 Alolan Raichu Fake Outs my AV Kartana to ensure Butterfree gets the Tailwind, as Fini get a CM boost. I protect with Fini to prevent a potential Encore / Thunderbolt, yet Eye Shine double targets correctly into the AV Kartana, which tanks the hits and nets an OHKO with Night Slash onto the A-Raichu. As Tapu Koko is sent in, I knew Butterfree was a threat so had to get some damage on it with Fini as Kartana goes down to the Bug Buzz from Butterfree. As my own Tapu Koko is out on the field, immediately go for the Double Protect with both Tapus to stall out the last turns of Tailwind. Here I learned his Tapu Koko has the Fairium Z, though he wastes it on my protect. Butterfree manages to get a Rage Powder off, but I read to this and Dazzling Gleam with Tapu Koko, OHKO Butterfree and dealing sufficient damage to his own. With my Scarf Porygon-Z on the field, Tapu Koko and Porygon-Z can clean up the endgame against his weaken Koko and surprisingly Scarf Gyarados. Lots of Info learned from Eye Shine's team from this battle, so had to capitalize on the next game(s).

Game 2 pretty much was decided on that turn one switch Eye Shine did with his Garchomp by removing Misty Terrain with the incoming Lele switch to put Tapu Fini to sleep. Honestly, if I'd targeted down the Butterfree and protected the same turn, this would have given me enough momentum to carry the game, except it didn't have happen that way. Wasn't sure if Butterfree had Protect until I saw that Lele switch and knew he was going for the Sleep Powder. Eye Shine essentially setups Tailwind and manages to get Lele and Butterfree OHKOed the same turn. At this point with Kartana gone and Tapu Koko / Fini were at the mercy of his own Alolan Raichu and Garchomp. Essentially the momentum from that turn one play was huge to the point I couldn't recover. The Encore from Alolan Raichu, Life Orb from Lele, Sleep Powder from Butterfree, and the Groundium Z from CHomp was useful info to have for the last game so at least I know now.

Immediately I knew game 3 Tapu Koko + Kartana was my best lead to pressure Eye Shine's Butterfree, maybe to prevent the opposing Tailwind setup with Taunt, or OHKO Alolan Raichu with Night Slash. Instead, Eye Shine leads with Garchomp + Gyarados, which kinda throws me off for a bit. Kinda wanted to double target the Garchomp, but felt it would protect, so decide to go for the Dazzling Gleam and switch Kartana out for Fini. Turn one I get crucial damage on Garchomp and somewhat on Gyarados, yet Chomp manages to OHKO Tapu Koko with the Earthquake. Here I honestly wanted to double on the Gyarados slot, but felt a Groudium Z was incoming, so had to cover for it via knocking out the Chomp. Again this plan backfires as as Alolan Raichu comes in and I attack onto the Protect Garchomp. Welp Now I I know Eye Shine is going for the Fake Out on Kartana + Z Earthquake on Fini, which doesn't faint. (Actually lived on 1 HP)

Am disappointed that Fini failed to 2HKO the Alolan Raichu, but on the incoming Gyarados switch in comes I get a Special Attack drop...which actually helps me. Kartana meanwhile manages to OHKO Garchomp with the Leaf Blade and gets back to neutral attack thanks to Beast Boost. Around this time, Eye Shine reveals he has Flamethrower Gyarados, which at -1 Special Attack AV Kartana tanks it well enough. At this point I'd thought this game was "Winnable" until the Flamethrower tech was shown and felt Eye Shine just about had the game locked up. Tapu Koko manages to OHKO Tapu Fini and Kartana OHKOs the Gyarados, though problem is the Alolan Raichu is still around with Fake Out support. All Eye Shine has to do is double target and OHKO Kartana to be able to win the series. 

With only my low HP Kartana and Scarf Porygon-Z, decided the only play I can make is have Kartana attack Raichu while Porygon-Z goes for the Hyper Beam on Tapu Koko as I know Tri Attack won't net the OHKO. In a suprising twist of events, Eye Shine doubles into the Porygon-Z with Fake Out + Thunderbolt on Porygon-Z, which is literally shocking to me (ban pun not intended). This leaves Kartana open for the OHKO onto the Alolan Raichu, the fastest mon on the field thanks to the Surge Surfer ability. Now I'm certain unless Hyper Beam fails to connect, I can win this. The moment of truth...Animekiller aims...and fires directly to the Tapu Koko and not takes its sites unto the new DLC for The Binding of Isaac (you want wait until next week). 

Final Thoughts and Closing Opinions

That was really a good game and series from Eye Shine, though I'll admit the Moonblast Special Attack drop kinda helped me there. Then again if I can't predict exactly what his team was, but figured the Flamethrower was intentional for opposing Kartanas, especially given it was Scarf. Did talk to Eye Shine after the match and discuss the last turn of events involving the Moonblast drop until the last Hyper Beam play. If anything, all Eye Shine had to do was double attack and make sure that the Kartana was fainted, but instead it manages to live on, OHKO the Alolan Raichu (Koko might be risky as it has Protect) and give me a chance to win. Will say that's how some games goes, but we pulled a win and won a tournament using a resurrected Porygon-Z. 

Anyways feel free to use this team. Probably going to start dumping RMT and Team Report from Battle Spot VGC Ladder soon. Not sure how frequent will these be, but hopefully around once a month or so. Well anyways thanks for reading this team, even though most of it wasn't mine. Still think the core around this team is rather strong so hopefully can find ways to improve around it. Will try to get some more Pokemon builds and team reports up in the future so keep an eye out for that. Well cya and thanks. 
Can't wait to give this a full read. Lot's of great info here. Thanks for the share @Black117!

[Image: c61540175df9d4fc971f357bf27e3e53.png]
Follow us on Twitter @_pokemonforever
Learn about us on our Welcome Page
Watch us play games on Twitch.tv
Great write up @Black117! Hyper Beam Porygon-Z was both funny and impressive to see, and I'm excited to see what surprises will you bring to the next tournament.
Awesome, amazing performance on the Tourney, Im sure im not the only one that loved that Porygon-z fire that lazor away lol
[Image: ima-firin-mah-lazer-o.gif]
Great job in the Tornament, And thanks for the full on analyze  :D
Pew pew pew, more than i could ve hoped for gonna enjoy reading this when i got time, thank you very much

@Black117 Your write ups are amazing
Amazing team and performance at PF's first VGC'17 tournament Kiev! Also, your write up is very comprehensive as always! Keep it up man Cool
[Insert signature here]