Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

[TUTORIAL] Entry Hazards and You
Yo. What's good Pokemon Forever? My fam. Alright let me go ahead and move on before I make you exit out already. Today I wanna talk about hazards (otherwise known as entry hazards), controlling those hazards, and over all get a better understanding on them. This goes in much farther than you'd think. You need to know more than just simply what the hazards are, and what they do. You need to know the best way of getting rid of them, the ways of getting rid of them, and what Pokemon fill those roles. For this write up, I'm just going to focus on entry hazards/what they do/who use them often. Afterwards, I'll make one focusing on how to get rid of them. Mostly because I don't want too much info all in one place..With that out of the way; I'm gonna list the hazards in just a moment, while explaining what they are. So bear with me.

By the way: I'm writing this at 5:20 A.M. So if there are any hiccups/typos, ill fix them later. pls understand.

What are Entry hazards?

Entry hazards are exactly what they sound like. They're effects that happen to a pokemon as they enter the battlefield out of their Pokeball. However, notice the word "entry". Just pointing out that these effects only happen whenever the Pokemon enters the field. Meaning that it won't happen again, unless they leave the battlefield, and come back in. These moves count as status moves. However there are a lot of things that counteract with the statement I just said. We'll get into that in just a moment. To explain into greater detail, I need to introduce you to the 4 entry hazards that are CURRENTLY in the game. (In case sun/moon bring in another hazard) So lets break those down, shall we?

The 4 current forms of entry hazards are:

Stealth Rocks l Spikes l Sticky Web l Toxic Spikes

This is where things change up a little bit in my write up here. I'm going to focus in on each one of these, one by one, and tell you all common Pokemon who use this entry hazard. Lets start with the most common; Stealth rocks.

Stealth Rocks

Stealth rocks is a rock type entry hazard that deals damage upon a pokemon that enters the battlefield. The damage that stealth rocks does is determined on the type effectiveness of rock against that certain pokemon. Putting that in simpler terms, think of it as a rock type attack that automatically hits a pokemon who enters the battlefield. Meaning it could be neutral damage, not very effective, or super effective. It's worth noting that stealth rocks cannot have multiple layers stacked. Meaning you cant put up 2 stealth rocks on the enemy team's side.

So lets talk about the damage it does. A little math here and there, so bear with me once again. Making it simple as I can, I'll use a chart thats often found on many battling sites here to show off the damage.

Type effectiveness :-------------------------: Damage (Max. HP)
0.25×:--------------------------------------> 3.125%
0.5×:---------------------------------------> 6.25%
1×:-----------------------------------------> 12.5%
2×:-----------------------------------------> 25%
4×:-----------------------------------------> 50%

So, it's pretty obvious why stealth rocks is a big deal here. Even a neutral Pokemon takes 12.5% damage of their max HP, which is huge when it comes down into a battle. It's free damage, they took it by switching in. Not only does this break potential focus sashes/sturdy abilities ect; It sets up a lot of KO potential. Especially when the Pokemon who switches in is weak to rocks. 25% is HUGE damage when all they did is enter the battle field. Don't get me started on 50%. Shout outs to talonflame and charizard.

Stealth rocks pressures your opponent, while constantly giving you free damage on whatever enters the field. It's a great move and should be used.

Let's talk about the most COMMON stealth rock setters.

(Note that there are hundreds of stealth rockers in the game, and even some pokemon will pack it that you wouldn't think would. I've seen and even used Pokemon like Bisharp as a surprise stealth rocker, so keep that in mind.)

*Smeargle, Garchomp, Hippowdon, Landorus, Ferrothorn, Clefable, Chansey/Blissey, Tyranitar, Heatran, Skarmory, Mew/Jirachi, Excadrill, Foretress, Donphan, Aggron, Cobalion, Empoleon, and MANY more.*

See a pattern here? Stealth rock setters are generally Pokemon with high sustain. A good stealth rock user is bulky, can take some hits, and still cause some pain to the enemy team. You want them to be bulky so you can keep your hazards up even if they get removed. That being said, lets look at some surprise stealth rockers.

*Bisharp, Terrakion, Aerodactyl, Infernape, Excadrill(can be a surprise sometimes depending on the team), and once again, many more.*

See the pattern here? These are offensive pokemon who are a little bit on the less bulky side compared to the others. The reason why these are effective, is because theyre good for a surprise stealth rock if you predict your opponent to switch out thinking youre gonna hit them with a more offensive move.

Please note that once again, I can't talk about EVERY single stealth rock user in the game. There's a whole lot. So I'll leave it at here. Onto the next one, spikes.

Spikes

Much like stealth rocks, spikes is a hazard that deals damage to a pokemon that enters the battlefield. However, there are 3 things that mostly are different here. 1. It can be stacked up to 3 layers. 2. It only effects grounded Pokemon. 3. It has a set damage depending on the layers, meaning it doesn't work through type weaknesses like stealth rocks.

Let me explain stacking. Some hazards can be used more than once, basically setting up another layer of the same hazard making it more potent. Spikes can have up to 3 layers. If you only have one layer of spikes up, it will only damage the opponent's Pokémon by 1/8 (12.5%) of its maximum HP. If you have 2 layers of spikes up, it will damage them by 1/6 (16.67%) of it's max HP. Finally, if you have 3 layers of spikes it will damage them by 1/4 (25%) of their max HP. Have I mentioned that you can have 3 layers of spikes up, while also having stealth rocks up? Crazy damage, eh? Putting it in a simpler grid:

1 Layer of spikes ----> 12.5% of their maximum HP
2 layers of spikes ----> 18.75% of their maximum HP
3 layers of spikes ----> 25% of their maximum HP

Let's focus on the fact that unlike stealth rocks, spikes only damages grounded pokemon. Putting this simply, Pokemon with levitate, and flying types will NOT be harmed by spikes. Keep in mind their are ways around this with the use of iron ball, gravity, ect. So just keep in mind that once again only grounded Pokemon are harmed by spikes.

So now, just like before we'll look into common spike setters first. Those are generally:

*Smeargle, Ferrothorn, Forretress, Qwilfish, Skarmory, Klefki, Garbodor, Roserade*

While the list is smaller, the pattern is the same. Bulky pokemon who can stay on the field and get up these layers. Klefki's a jerk

Unfortunately, there aren't really any..surprise spikers. Because spike's generally want to be triple stacked, but you can't do that as a surprise. Once you see them surprise you with that first layer you don't really let them get 3 stacks. However here are some;

*Greninja, Delibird, Cloyster, Cacturne, and a few others.*

Don't expect to see these a whole lot, but they're out there. I'm sleepy. Let's move on. Next, sticky web.

Sticky Web

Sticky web is entirely different than both stealth rocks, and spikes. Like stealth rocks, it cannot be stacked with multiple layers. Like spikes, it only effects grounded pokemon. Unlike both; It doesn't deal any damage. So this explanation will be very short and sweet. Sticky web, instead of doing damage; Lowers the pokemon who enters the field's speed by 1 stage. Sticky web is an incredible form of speed control. It's downside however is that very few Pokemon can use this move. Well, that and the fact it only effects grounded Pokemon. Oh, and it can be dealt with sort of easily.
"Pokemon with the ability 'Clear Body' and 'White Smoke' will not have their Speed lowered, and Pokemon with the ability 'Contrary' will instead have their Speed raised by one stage. Sticky Web triggers the effects of the abilities Defiant and Competitive as well."

Besides that, it's great! Moving on, lets look at the common sticky web setters;

*Shuckle, Smeargle, Galvantula*

Yeah. Those 3. Of course a few others learn it, but these 3 are the best in my opinion. Shuckle has high defenses, while galvantula is really fast and can easily get a free-ish sticky web off while still bringing offensive pressure. Smeargle has great set up potential and often will sleep a pokemon and get up hazards.

Others are...

*Leavanny, Masquerain, Ariados, & Kricketune*

yeah...thats it... Sun/Moon may bring some better choices for sticky web, but until then; it's a great move but with very little options for using it. Finally, lets close this up with Toxic spikes because it's 6 A.M. and I'm sleepy.

Toxic Spikes

Toxic spikes is another fun entry hazard thats similar to some, while completely unique in it's own set. It can have up to 2 layers (technically more, but it's effect doesn't change after 2 layers), and only effects grounded Pokemon like sticky web and spikes. However, it doesn't necesarilly deal damage like stealth rocks or spikes, nor does it lower a stat like sticky web. Instead, to no surprise, it poisons the Pokemon who enters the field.

1 layer of toxic spikes; Poison
2 layers of toxic spikes; Badly Poisoned

However, there's more ways to get around this move instead of being in the air. 2 ways to be exact.
1. It doesn't effect steel types. Because steel types cannot be poisoned.
2. It doesn't effect poison types, ALSO a poison type Pokemon who enters the battlefield will actually absorb the toxic spikes on the ground; Completely removing them. Pretty cool, eh? Well, not cool for the user I suppose.

You know the deal; lets look at the common users of this entry hazard!

*Smeargle, Tentacruel, Forretress, Qwilfish, Garbodor, Drapion, Roserade, Cofagrigus, Weezing*

zzzz you get the deal, common users of hazards are usually bulky pokemon who can get up those layers with ease!

Some more uncommon picks are;

*Cloyster, Dragalge, Beedrill. Nidoking/queen, Ariados, Greninja, Omastar*

Let's review!

Stealth rocks: Cannot have multiple layers, but deals rock damage upon switch in.

Spikes: Can have up to 3 layers, has set damage depending on how many layers are places, and only hits grounded Pokemon.

Sticky Web: Doesn't deal damage, cannot have multiple layers, lowers the pokemons speed stat by 1, and only hits grounded Pokemon.

Toxic Spikes: Can have up to 2 layers, deals poison damage depending on the number of layers, only hits grounded pokemon, steel types are immune to it, and poison types get rid of the spikes all together.

In a nutshell, entry hazards are incredible and you should be aware of and even use them yourself. I hope I helped someone. I dunno. I'm sleepy. zzzzzzzz

Good night friends, I'll make a post about hazard controller later maybe who knows zzzzz

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

sorry if this is messy i havent done one in a while

zzzZZZZ

[Image: zorua_sleeping_on_a_snorlax_by_bukoya-d5g4yuz.png]
50 thousand people used to live here...Now it's a ghost town.
Entry Hazards is definitely one of the most defining aspects in any singles-based metagame as getting that vital chip damage is important to ensure the OHKOs. Personally, every team must have some form of hazards as well as potentially Defog/Rapid Spin to get rid of them (unless they are completely Hyper Offensive themselves). Thing about hazards is player don't really take into consideration how important it can be during the whole duration of the battle. Setting hazards quick is key, but not without losing some valuable momentum as Naitre mentioned. Personally my favorite form of hazards is Toxic Spikes (especially in League Format) as there some games were teams don't have responses of it and the damage just kepts racking up. Don't know why most players do this, but its better to setup one layer of Toxic Spikes instead of two, unless you are facing some kinda of stall or bulky team with decent recovery. Reason being is the first two turns of Poisoned Toxic Spikes will deal about 25% as opposed to like 18.75% from Toxic poison. The damage will even itself out at 3 turns, but very likely the opponent's has swapped out.

Anyways amazing hazard guide Rogue and don't feel terrible about doing those late night guides since we've all done that before.
Amazing and detailed guide on entry hazard support, Rogue. A lot of times I see players neglect the use of entry hazards in competitive battling, especially in the PU tier when to be honest, entry hazards is what changes a 2HKO to an OHKO which is what makes Pokemon like Stoutland all the more deadly. My favorite entry hazard has to be Stealth Rock due to its ability to pick up chip damage on any switch in as well as murder Talonflame and Charizard who can both be a huge pain in the OU tier, also getting up Rocks is easy, a wide range of mons get it and it doesn't require stacking.

One thing about getting up entry hazards that I want to address is that getting them up on the first turn SHOULD NEVER ALWAYS BE YOUR LEAD. First turn rocks is too predictable of a lead and should only be done if these conditions are met

1. The opponent doesn't have a Defogger/Spinner
2. Your form of hazard control isn't Defog

Premature rocks can be easily removed and your entry hazard setter, after being KOd, is ensured to never be able to get up the hazard which can cost you the game.

My point? Up your hazard setting game!

And always make sure that you have some form of hazard removal/control on your team especially if you're running more bulky offense, balanced or stall because all the chip damage counts
Hey quick question about entry hazards, do you recommend stacking more than 1, I normally only carry spikes or rocks but make sure to only carry one. Would you recommend carrying two entry hazards or does it take too long to set-up.
@Idle This is going to be an answer you get a lot in regards to competitive but it really depends on your team. Carrying more than one hazard is absolutely viable, but relying on them is not. Don't base your team around them, but don't be afraid to have more than one. Just make sure you're worried about more than just setting them up
RIP Miranda Cosgrove 1975-2017
Thanks for the amazing guide! I'm new to competitve and I've been learning about entry hazards the hard way.
Sticky Web drives me insane and lost multiple games because of it Angry :D
#LillieDefenseSquad
Don't forget about smeargle iin the sticky web list. It's kind of popular as a hazard user.
George R.R Martin wrote 2016 :L
                                                                        #LillieDefenseSquad

You don't look so well... how bout 50cc's of LINKS!?
(Sep 27, 2016, 09:34 AM)w2gMk Wrote: Don't forget about smeargle iin the sticky web list. It's kind of popular as a hazard user.

How could I forget smeargle? I feel silly. I blame my lack of sleep. Thanks!

(Sep 27, 2016, 05:20 AM)Idle Wrote: Hey quick question about entry hazards, do you recommend stacking more than 1, I normally only carry spikes or rocks but make sure to only carry one. Would you recommend carrying two entry hazards or does it take too long to set-up.

This of course depends on your team. You can be just find with only rocks. If you're playing more of a bulky offense team, I recommend having rocks and spikes or rocks and toxic spikes. You don't want to have multiple forms of hazards on a hyper offense team for example (very frail team, but very offensive) because you dont have the necessary switches to pivot off and set up your hazards.

In a nut shell; Team dependent. Is your team very bulky but offensive? Yes use 2 if you wish. Is your team not very defensive? No, only use 1.
(Sep 27, 2016, 09:11 AM)Vinnie050 Wrote: Thanks for the amazing guide! I'm new to competitve and I've been learning about entry hazards the hard way.
Sticky Web drives me insane and lost multiple games because of it Angry :D

Try using a Bisharp on your team. Bisharp will gain movement speed and a fast bisharp is a scary bisharp!

(Sep 27, 2016, 03:53 AM)Black117 Wrote: Entry Hazards is definitely one of the most defining aspects in any singles-based metagame as getting that vital chip damage is important to ensure the OHKOs. Personally, every team must have some form of hazards as well as potentially Defog/Rapid Spin to get rid of them (unless they are completely Hyper Offensive themselves). Thing about hazards is player don't really take into consideration how important it can be during the whole duration of the battle. Setting hazards quick is key, but not without losing some valuable momentum as Naitre mentioned. Personally my favorite form of hazards is Toxic Spikes (especially in League Format) as there some games were teams don't have responses of it and the damage just kepts racking up. Don't know why most players do this, but its better to setup one layer of Toxic Spikes instead of two, unless you are facing some kinda of stall or bulky team with decent recovery. Reason being is the first two turns of Poisoned Toxic Spikes will deal about 25% as opposed to like 18.75% from Toxic poison. The damage will even itself out at 3 turns, but very likely the opponent's has swapped out.

Anyways amazing hazard guide Rogue and don't feel terrible about doing those late night guides since we've all done that before.

I completely agree with this. The only players I see who really abuse Toxic Spikes are high ladder Ubers players, because they're great in ubers. But that doesnt mean they should only be used there, they're amazing overall and can really make/break a game. 2 layers of toxic spikes can literally save you a game just while dancing around their poison counter when you need to. On top of that, Toxic Spikes often forces your opponent to play different. It often can make them pressured and make mistakes. I love toxic spikes. It also helps that not everyone runs a poison type on their team haha.