Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

[REQUEST] Counters to Rain! (Help needed)
Hi guys popping by for a small request from all you guys. this time i am asking for counters to well defined rain modes. i know that i'll be able to put up some text but it still won't be all, all i can think of now is mega venusaur and thunder wave really, but with more heds than one combined can give away better ideas.
the reasons i am asking this for is that i am writing a post regarding an analyses to rain for his site and my blog too, so i was hoping that you guys could help me Smile don't take anything mentioned in this post as a personal target or attack nor am i tending to insult someone or something in the site's community. i get some negative approaches many times, so just saying it for that.
Ferrothorn seems like it has a good match-up against rain teams. It resists the water stabs, and it's fire weakness is reduced because of rain so unless they're carrying a strong fighting type attack it can be a pain to deal with, especially if it sets up a leech seed. It also has access to thunder wave to provide some speed control for your team.
Obviously with its low speed, it's susceptible to being burn by scald and
What makes rain teams work so well are the rain buddies; Politoed and Ludicolo. A lot of people try to counter rain with something like storm drain gastrodon. This doesn't work since ludicolo can OHKO it.

Dry Skin pokemon are good for beating rain. Pokemon like Toxicroak and Heliolisk for example.
Dry skin is an ability that basically grants the pokemon water immunity, while getting healed by any water attacks that target them.

Toxicroak can deal decent damage to politoed, while dealing huge damage to ludicolo since it's weak to poison.
Heliolisk is basically the opposite. Decent damage on ludicolo, huge damage on politoed.

A good storm drain user to beat these 2 (while it isn't the best however, it still does decent) is cradily. Storm drain makes all water moves hit and heal cradily. This helps you with leading off with something thats normally outsped or beat by water.

and thirdly, prankster weather users are great. Tornadus does this especially well. Prankster sunny day or something of the sort. However, the flaw in this is that tornadus is weak to ice. & ludicolo/politoed basically always carry an ice beam. so, there's that. You could always double into a t-tar but you come into the same problem with dual water users.

oh, and of course steel types work very well here too, Aegislash & Ferrothorn especially. These 2 cant really be touched (unless they for some reason run focus blast for ferro)
50 thousand people used to live here...Now it's a ghost town.
The best way to beat Rain team, IMO is to use "something" that ruins their momentum completely.

What I mean by this is if the opponent has a Scarf Politoed paired with a Swift Swimmer, use something to either win back speed control (Tailwind/Thunder Wave/Trick Room) or is a hard stop like Storm Drain users, Ferrothorn, Rotom-W, Gyarados, Ludicolo or Ferrothorn. The thing with most rain team is they need the momentum from their swift swim Pokemon to do enough damage so that their teammates can clean or do so itself with water attacks up. Rain doesn't like facing off against duel weather such as Charizard Y/Tyranitar considering either or can change the weather especially when they switch in. Last but not least, you can run manual weather like our newest Masters World Champion Shoma Honami's Sunny Day Amoonguss. Sunny Day was used consistently at high play to disrupt Rain team's momentum by reducing the power of water moves. Best part is you can switch back the weather especially if the opposing team tries to switch in their Politoed in.
Stop giving people ideas to destroy me Kappa As someone who's used rain for a REAL long time I've found that I struggle winning the weather wars sometimes. Sun or Sand might be a good counter. I've also found that Mega Venusaur is the Bane to my existence.
"Oh good, he isn't mod anymore"

-Everyone

plug
I have to say, most of the rain counters are countered by Talonflame. And opposing Rain teams. And Ferrothorn. And Tailwind Suicune. And Rotom Wash is horrible for everything not named Ludicolo.
One thing I enjoy is abomasnow. It stops rain by switching in, and by mega evolving as well. It destroys politoad, has a huge hitting neutral stab on ludicolo, and it is the president of the us! He also is a great mega for trick room, not much would outslow it. Just one turn and obama is giga draining or woodhammering politoads.
Heliolisk is also a great option, it is pretty much made for weather,and hyper voice is pretty neat. It gets surf and grass knot too, so it can double as a sand storm check. I think it is also faster than talonflame, so it can drop some dundabolts on tflames.
Also remember the main goal of rain. All rain is hyper offense. If they set up, they roll things. If they don't, they struggle trying to get set up. As mentioned, toxicroak and heliolisk canput a stop to quite a bit of rain's shenanigans.
George R.R Martin wrote 2016 :L
                                                                        #LillieDefenseSquad

You don't look so well... how bout 50cc's of LINKS!?
Rain is easily stopped by Grass, Water, Flying(Talonflame) and Electric type Pokemon. Outside of typing, the Storm Drain ability really helps in stopping Water attacks. You can also cancel out the speed advantage with Thunder Wave or Trick Room. The best solution, of course, is to counter it with an opposing weather condition
[Insert signature here]
Thanks alot to everyone for giving me your opinions, i'll pick up the one's needed, rain analyses coming ahead!
use a sun team with venusaur. make it bulky, with giga drain and/or solar beam as well as sludge bomb. will KO swampert, gastrodon, and non-invested ludicolo with enough EV's