Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

Smogon or Official rules?
So earlier an interesting question came to my mind. What is better Smogon or Official Rules? Now of corse the answer is Opponion based, and Both have there ups and Downs.  I personally prefer Official rules over Smogon mainly because of a little more freedom to what I bring in my team. But don't get me wrong, I have nothing against Smogon. In fact it's a cool concept. I love watching Smogon Battles like Haydunn and ShadyPanguinn. Like I said I have nothing against Smogon I just Prefer to Official rules.

So what do you like playing? Smogon or Official rules? Also please don't make this into an argument I just want to know what you like to play in the Metagame.
One is not better than the other.. They're completely different play-styles and shouldn't be compared. I really hope this thread doesn't become argument based.

However, if you're asking which we all just have more fun playing: Smogon for me. I've been a Smogon player for years and getting to use every single pokemon in the game, and having tiers where every single one can be viable is very fun to me.
50 thousand people used to live here...Now it's a ghost town.
I sure hope it doesn't become argument based
At the moment I have been playing with the official ruleset because I wanted to tackle VGC Doubles (now 6 months) for some time now. Frankly I have been a OU/UU player before I started taking VGC very seriously because of the open format. This is by no means condoning the people/members of the Smogon community as I prefer a more "balanced" metagame" where one doesn't be that guy and spam minimize/evasion or put my entire team to sleep. That my opinion on the matter.
I wasn't able to get into competitive until 6 gen because the DS lite didn't support my internet settings, but to answer the question, I don't have a preference. I started by playing singles in the UU tier primarily, although I did play a decent amount of the lower tiers as well. It wasn't until around worlds 2014 that I started getting into VGC, but I'm still neutral on which set of rules is better
I started off as a smogon player mainly the OU and NU tier. It was up until about August where I dedicated myself to NU battles and June when I got into VGC (Placed 2nd my first tourny and VGC battles btw KappaHD). It took me a while to realize that VGC takes more strategy then smogon. For instance, 1 Dragon Dance Dragonite can sweep a team, where in VGC it wouldnt last a turn. Another reason I stopped battling OU is because I saw the same old Greninja, Talonflame, Lando T, etc all the time and wanted some variety. NU was the perfect tier for that because you never know what you could find. Some NU pokemon are staples such as Swellow and Muk, but I use some lesser known NU pokemon such as Masquerain and Munchlax. BTW this Munchlax swept an OU team. VGC takes strategy because instead of investing 252 into 2 stats, you need to spread them out because they could get doubled up into. Also being double battles you need to find pokemon that work well together. Some people just flat out hate on smogon, but then again some people hate on VGC so really its all matter of opinion there isnt a better way to play its personal preference.
"Oh good, he isn't mod anymore"

-Everyone

plug
OU has a win formula in whatever trainer doesn't set up entry hazards first loses or whomever's spinner dies first loses. There's not really any defensive strategies that allow you to win which forces everybody to play the same style if they want to win.
I agree that both formats are great, but I like doubles for the speed.

Is there an unofficial timer for singles. Because 30 minute switch fests make me cringe.
Follow us on Twitter @_pokemonforever
Learn about us on our Welcome Page
Watch us play games on Twitch.tv
That's one of the reasons I started playing VGC, because they're faster paced. As for the unofficial timer, I'm not sure. I've seen battles last for 40-50 mind, which can become boring, especially if it's just switching /stalling
I like official rules better just because they actually matter towards IRL tournaments from the Pokemon company but respect both. They really are completely different and very nice.