Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

[DISCUSSION] Pokemon Forum Tournament?
A long time ago... in a forum not so far away, there was a time of peace when people hosted daily tournaments. Then... everything changed when VGC16 attacked...
_____________________________________________________________________________________
[Image: pokemon___the_first_pokemon_battle_by_sa...6si6o4.jpg]
Art by: Ditto9

Disregarding the horrible introduction I totally didn't rip off multiple franchises for, its time to get to the topic of this wonderful horrible post. Tournaments! They've been done on this forum multiple times before hand, but due to, I hate to admit it, inactivity and a lack of love for VGC16, they died out.

I want to attempt to bring them back, and mods themselves such as @naitre seem to have the same idea. (See the issues thread with the Kahuna Application questionnaire and you'll get my drift...) However, bringing them is impossible without you - the People! Multiple things are vital for making these tournaments occur; timing, feedback, location (Showdown/In-Game), and availability.

I imagine most of you reading this threat, due to a lack of tournaments occurring on the forum, so I have a quick run-down for the basics.

KEEP IN MIND, SMOGON CAN ALSO BE PLAYED FOR TOURNAMENTS, BUT VGC17 IS BEING USED AS THE FORMAT FOR THE EXAMPLE!!!
Italics are Debatable
  • The player must have a viable VGC17 team - A Ruleset rundown can be found Here
  • The battles will be played in a Single Elimination//Swiss Format, and the Top 4 (Possibly more depending on the turn out) will be pitted in a Bo3 Finals (Best of 3)
  • Swiss Battles will occur for a 4-5 amount of rounds, once again dependent on the turn-out.
  • Depending on who hosts the tournament, it will take place In-Game or on Showdown
  • Some tournaments could be streamed, so keep that in mind, but not all of them will be.

Now that's taken care of, I have a few questions for the lot of you.

What do you want from a tournament? Showdown or In-Game? Any prizes available for 1st, 2nd, 3rd place? Suggestions are welcome, and I hope you have ideas to bounce off me, or any of the mods who acknowledge this post at all.
Never Give Up! - Densest Anime Protagonist of the Century

Forum Ninja
#PopplioDefenseSquad
I'm excited to see you taking the wheel @Podfighterninja123.

Just a few quick tips from me since I've run a few tourneys in my day. 
  • 32 People Max
    • More than that gets tough to manage. People leave, people don't show up, people disconnect.
  • Single elimination (no swiss)
    • People usually don't have more than 4 hours to complete a tourney
  • Everyone must save the matches to the in game VS recorder or film it on their phone (or something) in case an issue arises.
Follow us on Twitter @_pokemonforever
Learn about us on our Welcome Page
Watch us play games on Twitch.tv
I'd prefer in game tournaments. It's a new game, we gotta play on it, so much new stuffs mang It's totally not the fact that I just wanna show off my team skull shirt

You could hold a poll for very valuable/hard to get pokemans for all of the prizes. The first place winner getting one of each. 2nd getting 2 but not the most valuable one, and third getting their choice of the 2. Like idk, 1 dratini, 3 gengar, 3 mr meme. first place takes the dratini, a gengar, and a mr meme (just an example) 2nd gets the second gengar and a mr meme, and 3rd gets the choice of mr meme or the gengar etc. Or it could be 1 dratini 2 gengar 3 mr memes, leaving third place with just a mr meme. The breeding alliance can surely help with such a task.

and the commander of the lord goomy @Justin has very noice tips too
George R.R Martin wrote 2016 :L
                                                                        #LillieDefenseSquad

You don't look so well... how bout 50cc's of LINKS!?
@Justin Taken note of on that advice and thanks! :D

I can see where you're coming from on the no Swiss, which is probably better. There have been fairly quick Swiss tournaments done on here in the past, due to keeping the rounds simple and sweet, but Single Elim. is better by far, so I see your point

On that note, a change has been made regarding that, but Swiss is still a possibility if someone wants to be a rebel

Everything else makes more or so sense.

@w2gMk Rare Pokemon can totally be a good prize, but - not that I hate the idea - I think giving first place three for winning, even if an excellent idea for hard work and such, is a little excessive? But I guess it makes up for that if they're rare? But, it does give more incentive to play to win then....
Never Give Up! - Densest Anime Protagonist of the Century

Forum Ninja
#PopplioDefenseSquad
Not going to lie, but I do miss hosting tournaments with the people here though with the start of the Generation, now it the best time than ever. If we are going to do any tournaments here, we should all take the necessary time to at least pitch in and assist with tour management. These aren't easy events to host every now so often, but usually single day events have been "better" to host. I know many people here don't remember that far, but around December 2014 - April 2015 we use to host VGC tours (and everyone hates how I won every one). 

As what Flynn mention, there should be a limit of about 32 people if we get that many given we might need to assort many issues that could come about battling people. Guess BO1 Swiss is the "best" to give players a good sense of how VGC tours go, but single elimination tours until top 4 or finals is quite faster if we are crunch for time. Best of 3 is somewhat iffy just because of the Schedule and given the timer for this gen might prolong the tours.

We can try Showdown for any tournament, but I think its best if we can try In-Game for awhile or so. @Podfighterninja123 if you do want to help organize tournaments here, can always talk with me regarding the potential setup. Am interesting in jogging back competitive here in the forums and this is a great starting point.