Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

[VGC] Pokemon VGC 2015 Metagame Megathread
Hey everyone, since this is going to be a hot topic now that the VGC 15 is in full swing let's discuss the game here.

Who are the new major threats?

How do we stop Cresselia?

What combos should we be looking out for?

Those are just a few things to think about, but I'm sure you all have lots of more info! 

NOW GOGOGOGO!

Write Ups:

Cresselia
Landorus
Thundurus Part 1
Thundurus Part 2
Heatran
Terrakion
Entei
Raikou
Suicune
Bisharp
Mega-Salamence
Arcanine
Milotic
Mega-Charizard Y
Sylveon
Whimsicott
Virizion
Mega Swampert
Latios
Follow us on Twitter @_pokemonforever
Learn about us on our Welcome Page
Watch us play games on Twitch.tv
Well I'm new to VGC, but apparently the genies are back and are supposedly big threats, which is...you know...Great, because now I have more stuff to worry about :D
Major Threats?
The new major threats are the return of the Genies along with Heat Wave Zappy bird. The genies played a major part in VGC13 and are looking to do so again in VGC15. The obvious old school Choice scarfed Lando needs to be stopped so it can't go on a rampage like it did last time around.

Cresselia is now easier to prevent because Tailwind pokemon have become more ideal and better to handle the situation with Icy Wind. They 90% of the time are Calm Minders and Trick rooms so a Taunt and 2 STAB Dark pulses along with a 2nd pokemon doubling up into that slot. Cresselias also run Leftovers so a Knock off would be really nice to see slapping them.

There are some big combos I am now seeing. My favorite being Swift Swim Protect Swampert paired with Drizzle Politoad. Swampert can be maxed out in attack and be ready to outspeed your team and then just hammer down on everybody along with the 3rd person to make a trio being Ludicolo. Nobody really knows much about it as of now but is without a doubt something to look out for.

The old school Twave Prankster Thundurus paired with Scarf Lando I already have began to see comeback. So bring out the safeguard pokemon to stop it! Whismicott is the really nice play for this because without needing to max out speed EVs in him he outspeeds Max Speed Thundurus.

Cresselia and Mega Camerupt is a MASSIVE threat to the new meta also. Trick room with Mega Camerupt I see is becoming very popular even with Cybertron Zheng now using it in his most recent YT upload. If you can stop the Trick room from happening and have any water move that Camerupt is a OHKO every time due to x4 weakness. I think a Pairing with Drought on top of it then TR and Camerupt come in would be crazy OP for fire moves. So watch out for that!
also beware the Mega salamences that are likely to come and remember that despite all the new threats M-kangaskan and M-mawille still exist and will try to make you life hell.
Oh wow, I just made a thread covering Cresselia and I never saw this because I was too focused on making it. ;-; Sorry Justin! I'm currently overloaded when it comes to all the threats and combos that will be used this year.
Your overloaded and you played 2013 rogue XD have some sympathy for those of us that haven't played VGC before were gona have to learn how to win vs teams of legendaries...
Mega-Latios/Latias and Mega-Lopunny are some new megas that are powerful which I think are going to be the meta for vgc 2015. Also Togekiss with T-wave, follow me and air slash is going to be a thing. But I think the new rules make 2013 and 2014 metas combine having teams of legendaries and new powerful megas and the previous metagame pokemon.
As far as I see it legends won't be too big of a threat but will benjoy not way too powerful but are there. Landorus is a problem but could probably get destroyed by a ice beam from Greninja. Landorus/Thundurus combos will get wrecked by icy wind which we might see a bit. Heatran gets beat up by Mega Camerupt. Greninja is a major threat now because it can take car of Landorus, Thundurus, Cresselia, Azelf, Uxie, Mesprit. As for legends we won't see too often but are available The regis, lake trio, gen 2 legendary dogs, and the birds. Megas are always a threat too but thsee rules sound super fun and I can't wait!
It seems that currently the best teams in the new meta are made of Pokemon that were strong in VGC 2013 with an addition of a Mega Pokemon. It also looks like every team will have to run a Pokemon with the move knock off to attempt to deal damage to Cresselia and also remove its sitrus berry or leftovers. Also I have seen some Japanese players running Assault Vest Landorus-T instead of Choice Scarf making it even harder to deal with.
Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to the Thundur(us) dome! (Part 1)

One of the three Genies! (You may know them as the Kami Trio instead)
Today I want to cover both the Incarnate form, AND the Therian form. Because both forms are definitely viable in this years format.
Confused on who is who? Let's start with the Incarnate form!

[Image: 642.gif]

Typing: Electric/Flying
Weaknesses: Rock, Ice (x2)
Resistances: Fighting, Flying, Bug, Steel, Grass (1/2)
Immunity: Ground
Ability: Prankster (Non-Damaging moves have +1 priority)

Stats-
HP: 79
Attack: 115
Defense: 70
Special Atk: 125
Special Def: 80
Speed: 111

Starting off you'll notice that Thundurus won't be too hard to take out. Not the greatest HP/Defenses, and weak to two very common typings. Rock, and Ice. So you'll more than likely have to run some bulk. But don't let that get you down, it has a great coverage of resistances, and ground immunity, and a strong ability.
Let's get down to what Thundurus (I) does best in doubles: Abusing that Prankster.

-Bulky Support-
Thundurus @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 192 HP / 76 SpA / 220 SpD / 20 Spe
Calm Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Thunderbolt
- Taunt
- Hidden Power [Flying]/[Ice]

I wanted to start off with one of the most effective sets. Most players run special defense over defense for many reasons. One reason is because rock slide is very common. You'd have to run FULL HP and Defensive investment to not get OHKO'd by strong rock slide users like Tyranitar. (and thats assuming you also have 31 defense IV's.) You can also live Draco Meteor's from things like Timid Latios.
Back to the set: This set is good for many reasons. You can speed creep taunt those other Thundurus users with 16 speed. You can taunt those who like to set up trick room, and ruin them. You can thunder-wave all the things. You can deal some good damage with thunderbolt. and finally, the hidden power is up to you. Ice for ground types (and dragons) and flying for that STAB hit. Sitrus Berry for that recovery to continue to annoy your opponent. Don't sleep on this set. Trust me.

-Rain Dance-
Thundurus @ Charti Berry
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Rain Dance
- Thunder
- Taunt
- Hidden Power [Flying]/[Ice]

This set speaks for itself, but there's a few things that you need to know. First off, Thunder hits 100% of the time in the rain. That's why we run it. Count in that SPA, and you have yourself an electric powerhouse. Some people run Protect over Taunt, but I don't know if it's worth losing that Trick Room/set up destroying. Hidden power is once again up to you. STAB for those fighting/grass types, or Ice for ground/dragons?
Common mistake (in my opinion) Some people will try to run damp rock on this. I disagree with this entirely. One being, there are weather wars. If your rain is only up for 2 turns, theres no reason for damp rock. Even if there isn't a weather war, VGC matches don't always last up to 5 turns. Finally, you more than likely have Politoed with you too.

-Special Attacker-
Thundurus @ Charti Berry/Zap Plate
Modest Nature
- Discharge/Thunderbolt
- Sludge Bomb/?
- Thunder Wave
- Substitute/Protect

This set can be tinkered with if you choose to do so. Discharge is weaker than Thunderbolt, but has a high Paralysis chance and hits both of your opponents pokemon. However, it hits your other pokemon too. So it's good to pair with a ground type. Sludge Bomb can be swapped with anything really. Focus Blast, Psychic, Flash Cannon, and more. Thundurus has a good move pool, play with it. Thunder Wave is almost too good to pass up. In case things get murky, drop your opponent some nice presents. Tis the season. Finally, protect/Sub is also your choice. Protect is nice for obvious reasons. But Substitute has priority. Well, so does Protect. but you know what I mean.

-Nasty Plot-
Thundurus @ Charti Berry
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Substitute
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Flying]

Speaks for it self. Part of the reason why this set works so well is that it puts fear into your opponent. They assume you'll taunt/thunder wave them so they switch out/protect/etc. Next thing they know you're +2, behind a sub, and you have a great view to watch them as they cry. It's not the best set because you lose taunt/thunderwave, but priority subs and priority +2 sure is fun to play with. Get real clever and have a follow me user and change thunderbolt to discharge, and hit all the things.

I didn't mean to make this go on so long forgive me ;A;

[[[For the sake of not making this last forever, I'll leave the pair ups/threats for when I do Thundurus Therian, which will be right after this post. Since they appreciate the same partners.]]]

Conclusion:
Thundurus (I) is a monster. It annoys Cresselia, stops fast pokemon, hits hard with it's thunderbolt, loves rain teams, and can have a lot of fun messing with your opponent. Don't sleep on this mon, you may just be cursing his name for the rest of the year. Or praising it! I didn't want to include too many damage calcs on this one, because Thundurus is more about annoying. It can live things like Brave Bird from Talonflame, then drop it with a Thunderbolt. A very good choice for almost every team.