Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

VGC/Competitive Battling Mentorship Program
Looking for VGC/Smogon help from experienced players? Look no further!

I've noticed there's been a lot of newer members asking for competitive battling help and I think it'd be a great idea to bring people together and help new people more efficiently with having a mentor program. Interested in being a mentor/getting a mentor? Keep reading below!

A mentor is someone who can help you get started in the competitive world (whether it be Smogon/VGC/etc.), build teams, or just give any VGC advice in general! Or you can practice battling teams together on Battle Spot/Showdown together, etc. There are no real requirements to becoming a mentor, VGC/Smogon/battling experience is a must though.

If anybody wants to be a mentor just post a little about yourself and what format you're best in/play in (Smogon/VGC), your timezone, and any experience you have! And then we can get newer members to get assigned to someone. THIS WILL BE ON A FIRST COME FIRST SERVE BASIS.* Also feel free to message/post questions on this thread for any of these people!

* = (Unless you are listed for both VGC AND Smogon, we will try to pair you with a mentee that also wants to learn more about both)

Please keep checking this thread to see if you have been assigned, and once you are assigned to someone please PM your new mentee/mentor and introduce yourself! I will try to send out PMs once everyone is assigned, but it is very time consuming so for my sanity just remember to check this thread.

Interest list for Mentors:
  • Black117 - VGC/Battlespot Doubles (GMT -8)
  • Eeveeli (GMT+1, can handle multiple mentees)
  • naitre (EST) - Smogon
  • Rogue (EST) - Smogon & VGC
  • Marcusube (EST) - Smogon & VGC
  • MudkipLegend (EST) - VGC
  • Sandragon13 - Smogon
  • z2porygon (MST) - VGC
  • Animekid7 (EST) - VGC
  • terrorkid94 - VGC
  • Aether - VGC
Interest list for being Mentored:
  • names go here

CURRENT MENTOR/MENTEE LIST (Mentor is listed first, then mentee)
  • Black117 & DeathofShadows1928
  • Eeveeli & Nubnubs12345
  • Animekid7 & RebornFX
  • terrorkid94 & gpoke
  • Rogue & rockiesfan4ever & BlakBlankaSmash
  • Aether & Blue
actually, I have another idea to pitch. On smogon, they have threads for "example teams" to use on Battle Spot. We could set up "example team" threads here -- one of the best ways for new players to learn how to battle is not to worry about teambuilding as much. We could have people pitch their teams and determine which ones are the best for new players to try out, so they can get better at battling. Also, I think we should have a dedicated subforum for Rate-My-Teams.
I think these are really great ideas too!
If anybody wants to be a mentor just post a little about yourself and what format you're best in/play in (Smogon/VGC) and any experience you have! :D And then we can get newer members to get assigned to someone. We could also edit the first post with who gets who, or if any mentors don't mind taking multiple people/have anyone message them questions. ^^

Edit: Just edited the first post with some of this info.
I'll be that guy that challenges everybody!
(Dec 30, 2014, 04:47 PM)IceyGamer Wrote: I'll be that guy that challenges everybody!

I like this idea.  :D tjfRekt
I been learning VGC and Smogon OU singles. I got in competitive when I started watch shofu and Haydunn, and slowly found VGC when watching 2014 VGC World Championship with Se Jun's Pachirisu. I found battling to be more fun in pokemon than any other rpg game. I can help since I have a lot of experience in building than battling since I started in Spring 2014.
Thanks for posting z2porygon! I just updated the first post with an interest list for Mentors. :D
I would like to become a mentor. I've been battling for 6 months and have gotten the Smogon singles meta-game mastered, especially in OU. I battle daily on Pokemon Showdown and the replay chat via ORAS/XY. I am also currently climbing in knowledge in VGC.

PM me anytime, I'll be at your service Wink
[Insert signature here]
I would love to help out in anyway I can, the community here really helped me get into the competitive side of battling and especially with VGC. I'm kinda iffy on Smogon only because anything I know I've learned from my friend. So I would love to be able to help out in anyway I can. One thing I can do is if for someone new, I can provide 6 IV Dittos to whoever needs it so that they can have a good starting point.